• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on COOL LINES ARTWORK
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I am looking to start purchasing OA (which means I am very new to this) and I wondered if anyone has had dealings with Cool Lines Artwork as an on-line dealer. The website looks okay but a bit low budget considering the price of the items they have. I have e-mailed them and I did receive a very professional and timely response.

Any history with this website from anyone?

From my reading of all the threads and my tiny experience with them, it seems:

• They have lots and lots of great comic art
  • They like selling it, but they like trading for it even more
  • They don't like publishing prices
  • Lots of people fear that they may be getting a "special" price when they ask.
  • They aren't the low cost supplier. :)
  • They deliver what they promise

I've found their responses to be pretty clear and polite.

At the end of the day, if they have what you want at a price you can bear, you should be okay working with them.

November 9, 2011

Hi Don,

Thanks for asking about the scarce Marvel Magazine artwork.

Here is the list price:

splash page 1 - $1,850

Let me know if you are interested in this or any other art from our web site?

I can also work with time-payments or take art in trade.

Best,

Steve

October 23, 2012 (Same piece of art)

Hi Don,

Thanks for asking about my magazine art from his scarce

Silver-Age period.

Here is the list price:

- splash- art - $1,950

I also have other examples:

Best,

Steve Donnelly

I have edited out the specifics of which art it is and mind you $100 increase doesn't seem like much over one year until you consider that the original price is about 150% higher than it should be.

Here's a game we can play... Based on the prices, and info above, who do you think the artist is?

November 9, 2011

Hi Don,

Here is the list price:

splash page 1 - $1,850

Best,

Steve

Hi Don,

Silver-Age period.

Here is the list price:

- splash- art - $1,950

Best,

Steve Donnelly

I have edited out the specifics of which art it is and mind you $100 increase doesn't seem like much over one year until you consider that the original price is about 150% higher than it should be.

Here's a game we can play... Based on the prices, and info above, who do you think the artist is?

Gene Colan ?

November 9, 2011

Hi Don,

Here is the list price:

splash page 1 - $1,850

Best,

Steve

Hi Don,

Silver-Age period.

Here is the list price:

- splash- art - $1,950

Best,

Steve Donnelly

^^^same experience piece of art work Change from $500 to over 1k.

Edited by kat123

November 9, 2011

Hi Don,

Here is the list price:

splash page 1 - $1,850

Best,

Steve

Hi Don,

Silver-Age period.

Here is the list price:

- splash- art - $1,950

Best,

Steve Donnelly

Gene Colan ?

If it were Colan the price would be more realistic but instead it's Jim Mooney.

I have two pages of a 4 page story. I know where one of the pages is and the Donnellys have the splash.

I'm probably going to trade my pages because I know I won't be able to get that splash for a reasonable price.

I paid nearly half of their asking price for a complete 4 page Mooney story last year and that was far more reasonable.

I'm not saying to anyone not to buy from them, but it is a hassle when you have to ask a price on everything they have, for me at least. I'm often an impulse buyer and they leave no room for that whatsoever.

I'm not going to buy anything from a dealer who doesn't post prices.

DG

How about people that post art for sale on their CAF and ask you to "make an offer"? I find this to be more annoying because you don't know for certain if they're fishing or not. At least with the Donnelly's, they provide a price when you ask.

My experience was being quoted a price which was 15% higher than the buy-it-now price of the exact same page from their Ebay listing (which I subsequently found through a link on their website). I don't even look at their stuff now.

Ok,

Here it is with the brothers "D"

• Know that you are going to overpay for something going in. (You may be ok with that, but know that if you purchase a piece it will be over FMV)

• Know that they will price shop you, meaning that, even if you are prepared to over pay they may test to see how much you are wanting to over pay with a bait and switch. (That piece is 1000 --- you say ok deal ---- sorry I have another buyer that piece is now 1250 ----rinse repeat)

• Know that if you have art they want, some of these first two tactics will go away, BUT know that they will devalue your art so you will overpay anyway. Just might be less than with straight cash.

• Unless you absolutely have to have it, my advice to the newcomers is to avoid. Still if you absolutely have to have, you will get it in more ways than one.

2c

Ok,

Here it is with the brothers "D"

• Know that you are going to overpay for something going in. (You may be ok with that, but know that if you purchase a piece it will be over FMV)

• Know that they will price shop you, meaning that, even if you are prepared to over pay they may test to see how much you are wanting to over pay with a bait and switch. (That piece is 1000 --- you say ok deal ---- sorry I have another buyer that piece is now 1250 ----rinse repeat)

• Know that if you have art they want, some of these first two tactics will go away, BUT know that they will devalue your art so you will overpay anyway. Just might be less than with straight cash.

• Unless you absolutely have to have it, my advice to the newcomers is to avoid. Still if you absolutely have to have, you will get it in more ways than one.

2c

^^^This