• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2012 at 9:23 PM, Arkham said:

Oh man. I am the TOTAL n00b. Recently fallen in love with comics and just won three signed comics on eBay that I was oh-so-proud of.

Should've read this first.. can't get the SS obviously. So perhaps I should just go for normal CGC. Bummer.

Oh well - learn the hard way.

It's possible to get a Green label...Qualified.  I have only one in my collection that I bought earlier this year and it 'Qualified'...so to speak. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Galen130 said:

It's possible to get a Green label...Qualified.  I have only one in my collection that I bought earlier this year and it 'Qualified'...so to speak. (thumbsu

Thanks mate - I didn't realise this.  I think I ended up flipping those books back in the day - but I'll go for a dig through my boxes to find out! :D 

I want to send some books in to get signed and was wondering if there is a list or some kind of a guide as to what books a artist will sign, i.e. Neal Adams, will he sign any detective comic or just the books he did the artwork for?

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:56 AM, DINGER033 said:

I want to send some books in to get signed and was wondering if there is a list or some kind of a guide as to what books a artist will sign, i.e. Neal Adams, will he sign any detective comic or just the books he did the artwork for?

i'd say it might depend on the artist/creator.  Usually if there is some restriction about their own books like "Alan Moore won't sign DC books" or we're only signing "XXABC TITLE", it will be made very very clear in the posting.

BUT I don't' think very many creators/artists expect to sign books they didn't work on unless possibly they 'invented' the character, Todd McFarlane with Venom.  If you're considering getting a book signed the creator literally had nothing to do with, I would contact the facilitator first and ask them about it beforehand, and not submit it unless I got a concrete affirmative.  Of course there are many creators happy to just take the money and sign anything (no judgment here, I would too), but better to ask first IMO.  

I have books signed by Neal Adams, but never had them graded. Can I send these already signed books to the private signing for NA, pay the fees, CGC will witness him will look at them and say yeah that’s mine, and then Ill get the signature series grade? Or will the existing signatures be considered defects and NA will have to sign them again? What’s the rule? New to this. Please help

On 10/13/2020 at 1:03 AM, JMNosser said:

I have books signed by Neal Adams, but never had them graded. Can I send these already signed books to the private signing for NA, pay the fees, CGC will witness him will look at them and say yeah that’s mine, and then Ill get the signature series grade? Or will the existing signatures be considered defects and NA will have to sign them again? What’s the rule? New to this. Please help

Welcome to the boards! For future reference you should be able to find questions like this via the search bar up near the top of the page, or potentially in this very thread.

However, here's answers to your questions in case they haven't been answered here:

1. No, you can't have him give CGC the thumbs up that they're signed by him. A witness needs to be present at the time the book was signed. 
  2. If you submit the book as it is, it will get a green Qualified label saying that there's a name written on the cover.
  3. If Neal signs the book again you will get a Signature Series/Qualified label, stating that the book was signed by Neal Adams but there's also a name written on the cover.

I have a copy of Vampirella: Valentines Day Special #1 that is graded by CBCS it is also has a witnessed  signature by the artist. If I was to send this in to have a new holder by CGC would they honor the CBCS witnessed signature, or would it get a green label?

27 minutes ago, DINGER033 said:

I have a copy of Vampirella: Valentines Day Special #1 that is graded by CBCS it is also has a witnessed  signature by the artist. If I was to send this in to have a new holder by CGC would they honor the CBCS witnessed signature, or would it get a green label?

They don't honor signatures witnessed by any other companies.  so green label

OK, this is a newbie question, I couldn't see the answer in this thread, nor through the search function.

Is a CGC graded signed copy considered of higher or lower value than another copy of the same issue graded at the same level by CGC? That is, is a CGC yellow label 5.0 Stan lee signed book worth more or less than a blue label CGC 5.0 of the same issue? Personally, I would prefer to see the cover as it was created, but interested in what the consensus is for this.

Edited by Albert Thurgood
correct typos, add last sentence

On 12/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

OK, this is a newbie question, I couldn't see the answer in this thread, nor through the search function.

Is a CGC graded signed copy considered of higher or lower value than another copy of the same issue graded at the same level by CGC? That is, is a CGC yellow label 5.0 Stan lee signed book worth more or less than a blue label CGC 5.0 of the same issue? Personally, I would prefer to see the cover as it was created, but interested in what the consensus is for this.

Probably not the answer you want, but it really just depends on who you're asking and the book in question.

1 hour ago, austinhg said:
On 12/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Probably not the answer you want, but it really just depends on who you're asking and the book in question.

it really depends on the book.  But you can also look at ebay sold searches of whatever book you're into to get a gauge.

Can I still make my own window-bags with taped-off areas for CGC in-house send-in signings, or must we now use only the CGC yellow window-bags since they became available?

I want a sig in a specific area, which is partly covered by the yellow window-bags' border.

11 hours ago, anukasan1 said:

Can I still make my own window-bags with taped-off areas for CGC in-house send-in signings, or must we now use only the CGC yellow window-bags since they became available?

I want a sig in a specific area, which is partly covered by the yellow window-bags' border.

It's not required no. Just an option if you don't want to make your own.

I have a general question about submitting CGC-encapsulated books for signing.

Do books usually come back with the same grade as submitted? I understand that they do get graded again once the case is opened and the book is signed. But how often are they down-graded, and, if they are, do you get any notes about that from CGC, or just receive a downgraded book, and a "Dem's da breaks. kid."?

Is there a site on CGC that lists how many CGC Signature Series of a given title signed by from a particular artist? For example, where can I find how many CGC Signature series Spider-man #50 signed by John Romita Sr. are there ?

Edited by Kabuki
Clarify question

Hello everyone.

New to CGC.

I sent in several books to get signed.

I bagged them but did not put them in signature windows.

will they get signed or will they just send them back to me.

They have been showing received since 5/18

I'm thinking of sending in my X-men #4 9.8 blue label. Do I need to send a window bag with it or will CGC provided a window bag? 

Edited by Kerdese

On 7/10/2021 at 1:47 AM, Kerdese said:

I'm thinking of sending in my X-men #4 9.8 blue label. Do I need to send a window bag with it or will CGC provided a window bag? 

hopefully you've already contacted CGC by now instead of waiting for an answer.  My answer: check with CGC

Last night, I submitted and paid for 4 comics to send for the Jeremy Renner signing. As fate would have it, I ended up finding a West Coast Avengers #1 this morning that I want to add to the pile. Am I too late to open up that order and add that book or do I have to submit it as an entirely new order, which would include a separate shipment? 

I'll answer my own question, in case anyone else asks the same thing.

The CGC does not charge you until they receive shipment, so all I had to do was start a new order, include the extra book, print the new packing slip and inserts and send that in. Problem solved!

Edited by SilverAgeHero
New info