• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

They are willing to crack them but no they do not use CBCS as a legitimate witnessing form. It would give CBCS legitimacy and ultimately that's not something they want to do to a competitor.

oh wow really.. good to know thanks!

I sent in 7 books for Stan lee to sign plus 4 books for Frank Miller/Janson to sign with a certified witness who then submitted my books to CGC. I also had two other books witness and submitted but my name wasn't on that invoice. The witness still hasn't paid his bill in full so CGC still had them there. I called and because I wanted to know about my books. Even though the complete bill has not been paid yet they still sent me my books, big thank you CGC.

Now a few photos. The Lee signed books are all books I bought when I was 8 or 9. All key books and golden memories.

Enjoy my youth.

a>

a>

a>

a>

N00b time!  I read all 9 pages of this thread and did a search and didn't see this addressed anywhere.

OK, so I sent in two books to get graded from J. Scott Campbell's website that he had signed. I expected, and got, blue labels on each. OK, fine. 

What I don't understand is how other people are getting these exact same signed specialty books with yellow labels. And just to be clear, this is no different than any other signed book you'd get from Dynamic Forces or places like that, not an in-person event or anything.

Any insight would be welcomed.

The yellow Signature Series label is for books that have been witnessed by CGC and that have been submitted through the CGC Signature Series program. If the signed books you submitted were purchased directly from the JSC site and were not witnessed, they should have been graded Qualified, received a green label not blue, and had a comment stating "Name written on cover with marker." The JSC site used to provide CGC SS graded books for purchase but if the book was delivered to you raw, signed and you submitted it then green label Qualified.

51 minutes ago, fullerjason said:

The JSC site used to provide CGC SS graded books for purchase but if the book was delivered to you raw, signed and you submitted it then green label Qualified.

This is the short answer to your question.  An agreement can be struck where a creator can sign something and send it directly to CGC and still have it graded under the Signature Series program. 

Another possibility is that a creator can sign a stack of books in advance and bring them to the show to sell.  As long as the buyer brings along an authorized CGC witness, the book would still be eligible for Signature Series. 

Prior authorization and chain of custody are key.  While I don't know the specifics of this situation, I'd wager the answer is close to what I've stated. 

On 7/4/2017 at 7:15 PM, ultraaman said:

OK, so I sent in two books to get graded from J. Scott Campbell's website that he had signed. I expected, and got, blue labels on each. OK, fine. 

This cant be right. If the books are signed you shouldnt have gotten a blue label.

Besides the ways mentioned above to get yellow labels, you can also get the yellow label if you get the book directly from JSC at a convention with CGC present (basically the whole witnessing process)

So I am a new person to all of this and I have a few questions: 

1. I am interested in getting some blank covers sketched on and submitted. If done, would pressing the book, after its been sketched on, ruin the sketch? 

2. When getting things sketched on, are the artists themselves authorized to submit the sketched on book, to CGC, and will it still be rated as a yellow label authorized signature? 

3. When attending an expo where CGC has witnesses present. Do I leave all of the items I want signed, or sketched on, with them, and they proceed to go around the expo and get things signed and sketched on? Or am I able to get the items signed and sketched on, then just bring them to CGC?

4. Once a book gets cased, can I get a CGC witness to break it open and get additional signatures on the already signed book, and get it sealed again through the grading process. Then still have all the signatures be verified? 

The reason I ask the final question is I likely wont ever run into multiple people at one con. I realize it will cost me more money in the long run to get things cased, then broken open and cased again. Its just a route I need to take, being in the middle of nowhere in Canada. I also realize I can mail books out and get somebody to get them signed, but I enjoy the process of attending and obtaining signatures on my own. Thanks for your time. 

On 3/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, Wilddragon said:

So I am a new person to all of this and I have a few questions: 

1. I am interested in getting some blank covers sketched on and submitted. If done, would pressing the book, after its been sketched on, ruin the sketch? 

2. When getting things sketched on, are the artists themselves authorized to submit the sketched on book, to CGC, and will it still be rated as a yellow label authorized signature? 

3. When attending an expo where CGC has witnesses present. Do I leave all of the items I want signed, or sketched on, with them, and they proceed to go around the expo and get things signed and sketched on? Or am I able to get the items signed and sketched on, then just bring them to CGC?

4. Once a book gets cased, can I get a CGC witness to break it open and get additional signatures on the already signed book, and get it sealed again through the grading process. Then still have all the signatures be verified? 

The reason I ask the final question is I likely wont ever run into multiple people at one con. I realize it will cost me more money in the long run to get things cased, then broken open and cased again. Its just a route I need to take, being in the middle of nowhere in Canada. I also realize I can mail books out and get somebody to get them signed, but I enjoy the process of attending and obtaining signatures on my own. Thanks for your time. 

1.  You can mark for the book to be pressed by CCS on the CGC Signature Series submission form, and it will then get pressed before being graded.  CCS has pressed plenty of books with sketches without damaging the sketch.

2.  For sketches done outside of a show at which CGC is present, artists may submit directly to CGC, but arrangements need to be made in advance.

3.  Generally, you are responsible for getting your own items signed and coordinating with CGC to have a witness present when the items are signed.  If you're getting multiple signatures on the same book and they're all not done at the same time, CGC will hold the book between signings.  Go to the CGC booth before you get anything signed and they'll give you the lay of the land.

4.  Yes, as long as the book is in the possession of CGC or in the view of a witness after the book is cracked out.  Failure to do so will invalidate the prior signatures.

is there any way to get any celebrity's to sign a blank variant for example say a tv show actor but there is no comics out for that show, is there any way round this if you really want a signature? is there any blanks that have minimal logo obviously not marvel or dc as they do have large logo's on, t

People do this all the time. They will get a blank signed and then have an artist (like Frank Kadar or Ash Gonzalez) do a photo-realistic drawing of the actor/actress in the role that you are dealing with. Often they have the artist draw over the logo, so it ends up being immaterial.  If you check the 2018 sketch cover thread, you will see many mind-blowing examples of this.

Here's a question for all the experienced SS convention sketch people.  DC has recently started adding a tissue paper-like protective outer covering on their sketch blanks.  It really helps to reduce stray marks picked up from contact with other books, and I'm sure it'll help with the same on artists' sketch tables at shows.  When submitting these for grading, would one leave that protective cover on and let CGC remove it, or does it need to be removed before submission?

On 1/13/2015 at 1:25 PM, revat said:

1. Its case dependent. If you had a random midgrade ASM 77, and had Stan Lee sign it, you probably will bump the value by $40, but you paid $50 for the sig. But if you had a VF Batman 612 signed for free by Jim Lee, it might bump the value to $10-15 (from like $3-4). In general, for very high value or key stuff, raw sigs hurt the price. With lower value stuff, you might get a price bump. Like you could sell $1 comics for $2 to $5 with the right raw sig, but then there might be cost to getting the sig. Note: For moderns, its almost NEVER worth it to get CGC SS that doesn't grades lower than 9.8 unless its a key or ultra rare comic or sig.

2. Head sketches - I haven't seen a standard. Some are free, some have cost, some depend on how busy the artist is, or how much other stuff you buy from the booth, or on the mood of the artist, or how hot your gf/wife is, or how drunk they are.

3. Sketches generally don't affect the grade any more than the sig (green or yellow)

I'd like to know if the ( Note: ) part of answer 2 still applies today? In other words, I'm seeing virgin covers via different artists with a limited signature run being sold at high prices. These are moderns. Are they NEVER worth it to buy as CGC SS? 

Thanks, 

Noob here, I think I have the whole CGC Signature process down. One thing I'm not finding too much information on is the premium artists usually have VIP package that included signatures at shows. Are you required to purchase one of these packages to get your CGC signature? Or does it help in the process? Can you skip the line? Do CGC staff prefer this?

Let's use a real world example:

Rob Liefeld is now doing CGC signatures at 2018 Wizard World Chicago. The Wizard World site offers the following Liefeld VIP packages: https://wizardworld.com/guests/rob-liefeld.

Do you need to purchase one of these VIP packages in advance to get your CGC signatures? Or can you just pay for signatures once you are at the show?

Also one more question please: I have seen posts about other 3rd party grading Co's like CBS slabs getting cracked to get a signature. But what about a CGC Slab? Should I bring the CGC slab as is and let the CGC people crack it for me on site if I want to get a signature?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this whole process seems easy and streamlined to the vets but hard to put it all together for a noob who has never been to a show.

13 minutes ago, DonDante said:

Noob here, I think I have the whole CGC Signature process down. One thing I'm not finding too much information on is the premium artists usually have VIP package that included signatures at shows. Are you required to purchase one of these packages to get your CGC signature? Or does it help in the process? Can you skip the line? Do CGC staff prefer this?

Let's use a real world example:

Rob Liefeld is now doing CGC signatures at 2018 Wizard World Chicago. The Wizard World site offers the following Liefeld VIP packages: https://wizardworld.com/guests/rob-liefeld.

Do you need to purchase one of these VIP packages in advance to get your CGC signatures? Or can you just pay for signatures once you are at the show?

Also one more question please: I have seen posts about other 3rd party grading Co's like CBS slabs getting cracked to get a signature. But what about a CGC Slab? Should I bring the CGC slab as is and let the CGC people crack it for me on site if I want to get a signature?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this whole process seems easy and streamlined to the vets but hard to put it all together for a noob who has never been to a show.

The answer to your question about VIP packages is that it VARIES on the show and the artist.  You have to research each one individually by contacting the artist (or their rep), or a CGC facilitator going to the show, asking CGC directly, or going to the CGC booth at the show.

As for cracking slabs, you generally do it yourself UNLESS its CGC SS, then let the CGC witness or facilitator do it.  So for non-CGC SS probably better to crack your slabs in a controlled environment in your home, and the raw book is easier to carry around too.

I have another rookie question, so you can send books off to creators/artists for them to sign/sketch with a letter they sign authorizing its their signature. Are you able to put send the same book to several people to sign and just include an extra letter for additional person signing and still have it all be verified? 

I doubt it, BUT I think there might be some very very specific circumstances that would be allowable.  If you have a very specific plan, you should ask Cgc directly and ask.

for example if the two creators are married or related and live in the same place, it might be an option.  But even then I doubt it.  But maybe....