• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

Firstly, I'm a total noob so please forgive the questions as I just got back into comics after a 30 year hiatus (my daughters fault for finding my collection in the basement).

1. I'm slightly confused about how to obtain a signature. I am taking my kids to Comicon in Philly, and already paid for 2 Stan Lee signatures. I know from the forums that CGC will be there, but how to I make sure I get my signatures recognized by CGC?

2. My pride and joy, an Incredible Hulk 181, already has a Herb Trimpe signature and I was planning on getting Stan Lee's at the Pilly event as well. Will I be able to get the coveted yellow SS recognition for this book?

Once again, thanks. Rob.

Firstly, I'm a total noob so please forgive the questions as I just got back into comics after a 30 year hiatus (my daughters fault for finding my collection in the basement).

1. I'm slightly confused about how to obtain a signature. I am taking my kids to Comicon in Philly, and already paid for 2 Stan Lee signatures. I know from the forums that CGC will be there, but how to I make sure I get my signatures recognized by CGC?

2. My pride and joy, an Incredible Hulk 181, already has a Herb Trimpe signature and I was planning on getting Stan Lee's at the Pilly event as well. Will I be able to get the coveted yellow SS recognition for this book?

Once again, thanks. Rob.

You will get yellow, but the Trimpe sig will be a defect for grade purposes. DesertWind Comics will be running the Stan Lee signings. Talk to them before you do anything else.

Noob question I thought I'd ask here since I can't view the SS submission form on CGC's page anymore.

Its $10 more for a SS submission over the blue label tier price, correct?

Also - can you submit blue label books with yellow label books on the same invoice, or do you have to have two separate invoices?

New guy here (obviously), and I am kind of curious about the wording on some signature series books I got back from being graded at Emerald City Comic Con back in March.

IMG_1358.jpg

I am pretty happy with the grades. The Avengers Annual 10 was graded 94 by PGX before getting signed and sent off for grading and the Uncanny #266 was previously CGC-graded at 9.4. While I plan to add standard 9.8 or higher issues to my collection, I am wondering if the fact that the Uncanny 141 and 266 both have typos in Chris Claremont's name really matters?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee168/nitefightr69/IMG_1361.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee168/nitefightr69/IMG_1360.jpg

Should I bother sending them back in to be fixed?

Edited by Doomie Doom

I have an Allen Bellman sketch cover that reads "Allan Bellman." I did not bother sending it back for that. No one can argue about who signed it. I would only go through the trouble of sending it back if it listed the wrong comic, creator, or something like that.

general question...if all I want is Stan's sig on a splash page of a book, I still need to go thru Desert Wind right? or if Stan is signing and I can stand in line or pay someone to stand inline at a con?

general question...if all I want is Stan's sig on a splash page of a book, I still need to go thru Desert Wind right? or if Stan is signing and I can stand in line or pay someone to stand inline at a con?

If you're keeping the book raw, all you need is a signing ticket - at some shows you can only get them through DWC, at other shows they're also available as part of various VIP packages.

I have a great sketch at home on one of those blanks, can i get a yellow label?

NO, with sketches a witness must pick up the sketch directly from the artist OR the artist must contact CGC and mail directly into service center.

First, I apologize if this question has been addressed in a thread elsewhere.

I just had a commission done on a blank and I don't have the funds to submit to CGC at this time. If at a later date I have the funds to submit and I bring the book to a show that the artist is at, can I have him present the book to CGC for verification and still receive the yellow label? I would just have him hold onto it, but I do not wish to temp fate of something happening to it in the interim.

Any advice would be appreciated. If there is already a thread addressing this particular question, post the link.

Thanks!

yea if the artist gives it to a cgc rep, its cool. get your yellow on

Once the books leaves the artist and is in your possession it is no longer able to receive a yellow label.

I think he stated that the artist will hold onto it in the interim.

Once the books leaves the artist and is in your possession it is no longer able to receive a yellow label.

I think the below referenced part of the quote makes it clear that he was not leaving it with the artist, and rather he was taking it with him, to be "re-presented" to the artist at a later Con.

I bring the book to a show that the artist is at, can I have him present the book to CGC for verification and still receive the yellow label? I would just have him hold onto it, but I do not wish to temp fate of something happening to it in the interim.

I think the below referenced part of the quote makes it clear that he was not leaving it with the artist, and rather he was taking it with him, to be "re-presented" to the artist at a later Con.

I bring the book to a show that the artist is at, can I have him present the book to CGC for verification and still receive the yellow label? I would just have him hold onto it, but I do not wish to temp fate of something happening to it in the interim.

That would be correct. Can the book be given back to the original artist at a later date, to then be submitted to CGC for yellow? I have a hard time believing that it would make a huge difference, as long as the original artist presented it. But, there are rules for everything it appears :rulez:

That would be correct. Can the book be given back to the original artist at a later date, to then be submitted to CGC for yellow? I have a hard time believing that it would make a huge difference, as long as the original artist presented it. But, there are rules for everything it appears :rulez:

That is correct. Once it leaves the possession of the artist, it is no longer eligible.

Quick question...

If an artist self-publishes their own sketch book with a blank cover (Michael Dooney just did one)....can this still be CGC SS'd even though it was self-published? What would the label read on it if so?

Thanks for the help!

Quick question...

If an artist self-publishes their own sketch book with a blank cover (Michael Dooney just did one)....can this still be CGC SS'd even though it was self-published? What would the label read on it if so?

Thanks for the help!

:facepalm: