• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long before my ceiling caves in.

53 posts in this topic

Last week I was working in my main comic room on a bookshelf set up and wanted to take some photos of the end result.

When I am working in this room I normally just have the light on, the blind and curtains are always shut and have been for years.

To get a better photo, I decide to open the curtains and let in some light, I was shocked at the gap between my window frame.

In this room is about 70,000 comics in filing cabinets and long boxes, also about 500+ Hardcovers & slipcases.

I wonder what weight is in all this and how long before I am killed in my computer room directly below. :tonofbricks:

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

Haha. Yeah, stick frame houses are not designed to hold that kind of weight unless you specifically reinforce it. Looks like it's just shifting - not much danger of the ceiling caving in, I would wager.The building I work in has an even worse problem. In the 80's the second floor was structurally reinforced to hold up a law library, but they didn't reinforce the first floor to hold the weight of the books AND steel reinforcements. It's ugly.

But anyways - yes. Your comics are affecting the structure of your home. Are you renting?

The frame around the window appears to be made of wood, which can be moisture and humidity sensitive material. The caulking/sealant used between the glass and frame also seems to be weathered. I would look into seeing what's going on outside of the window and or correct the weathering situation causing the sealant/caulking and wooden framing to expand and separate before thinking your ceiling is about to give. (thumbs u

The frame around the window appears to be made of wood, which can be moisture and humidity sensitive material. The caulking/sealant used between the glass and frame also seems to be weathered. I would look into seeing what's going on outside of the window and or correct the weathering situation causing the sealant/caulking and wooden framing to expand and separate before thinking your ceiling is about to give. (thumbs u

I agree with that. Older homes are also subject to more shifting when you have a wet year in your parts, too. But, I definitely think the weight of the books in that one area of your house is a major contributing factor.

A few questions, how old is the house? Is this problem only in the comics room? Is there any evidence of a similar problem in the room below? Is the wood in the area that has split rotting? It looks dark, but may just be the photo.

70,000 comics in filing cabinets and long boxes, also about 500+ Hardcovers & slipcases.

Jesus. You must like comics.

Haha. Yeah, stick frame houses are not designed to hold that kind of weight unless you specifically reinforce it. Looks like it's just shifting - not much danger of the ceiling caving in, I would wager.The building I work in has an even worse problem. In the 80's the second floor was structurally reinforced to hold up a law library, but they didn't reinforce the first floor to hold the weight of the books AND steel reinforcements. It's ugly.

But anyways - yes. Your comics are affecting the structure of your home. Are you renting?

No, bought and paid for.

No, bought and paid for.

imagine if you were renting and had to move the 70k comics....

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

A few questions, how old is the house? Is this problem only in the comics room? Is there any evidence of a similar problem in the room below? Is the wood in the area that has split rotting? It looks dark, but may just be the photo.

The house is 16 years old, the wood is due painting but is solid no splits or rot.

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

My house is brick