• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Other than the 35 cent variants, the 30 cent Star Wars 1 should remain as the most valuable Star Wars book? Seeing a lot of newer Star Wars keys emerge which seem to be pushing up the value of Star Wars 1 perhaps due the expectation that in comparison Star Wars 1 needs to rule the day.

This thread needs a bump, impressive rebound in value since the low seen with the Last Jedi movie failure despite the well known large print run.

6 hours ago, eddly said:

Other than the 35 cent variants, the 30 cent Star Wars 1 should remain as the most valuable Star Wars book? Seeing a lot of newer Star Wars keys emerge which seem to be pushing up the value of Star Wars 1 perhaps due the expectation that in comparison Star Wars 1 needs to rule the day.

This thread needs a bump, impressive rebound in value since the low seen with the Last Jedi movie failure despite the well known large print run.

I've long maintained Star Wars # 1 is a major Bronze key and its value is simply hurt by the ridiculous print run.

Through all printings, there were more than 1 million of these.

Non-superhero, but well worthy of respect.

8 hours ago, eddly said:

Other than the 35 cent variants, the 30 cent Star Wars 1 should remain as the most valuable Star Wars book? Seeing a lot of newer Star Wars keys emerge...

I don’t understand how the first app of Ahsoka Tano eclipses the first app of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, the droids and Star Wars itself. I guess I’m getting old (shrug)

On 9/20/2020 at 7:45 PM, BrooksR said:
On 9/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, eddly said:

Other than the 35 cent variants, the 30 cent Star Wars 1 should remain as the most valuable Star Wars book? Seeing a lot of newer Star Wars keys emerge...

I don’t understand how the first app of Ahsoka Tano eclipses the first app of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, the droids and Star Wars itself. I guess I’m getting old (shrug)

My theory is two parts: 

1)  Ahsoka Tano was first introduced as a type of "comic drawing" (graphic animation), so the "transition" to comic books is much easier for her (or Thrawn) than when a character is recognized first as a human being (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher) and then they are drawn into a comic likeness. When people feel like they're getting exactly what they expect, people pay more.

2)  Besides the 35 cent variants, Star Wars also has big fan money in action figures for collectors of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, etc.  Ahsoka Tano isn't part of the Star Wars 1970s-1980s toy empire, so fans of her character don't really have the option to put big fan money anywhere but her first comic.

Edited by valiantman

On 9/23/2020 at 10:10 AM, valiantman said:

My theory is two parts: 

1)  Ahsoka Tano was first introduced as a type of "comic drawing" (graphic animation), so the "transition" to comic books is much easier for her (or Thrawn) than when a character is recognized first as a human being (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher) and then they are drawn into a comic likeness. When people feel like they're getting exactly what they expect, people pay more.

2)  Besides the 35 cent variants, Star Wars also has big fan money in action figures for collectors of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, etc.  Ahsoka Tano isn't part of the Star Wars 1970s-1980s toy empire, so fans of her character don't really have the option to put big fan money anywhere but her first comic.

BUT re. # 1, Star Wars # 1 came out six weeks or so before the film was released.

So technically, the comic came first.

17 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:
On 9/23/2020 at 9:10 AM, valiantman said:

My theory is two parts: 

BUT re. # 1, Star Wars # 1 came out six weeks or so before the film was released.

So technically, the comic came first.

If you think you can convince the collecting world that the Star Wars franchise is "from a comic book first", go right ahead. :foryou: 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:10 AM, valiantman said:

My theory is two parts: 

super low print as well  for the 1st ahsoka and the 1st captain rex also

On 9/28/2020 at 8:35 AM, valiantman said:

If you think you can convince the collecting world that the Star Wars franchise is "from a comic book first", go right ahead. :foryou: 

It's true, though.

Nobody knew the movie would be a hit when the comic came out more than a month beforehand - and even 20th Century Fox thought it would bomb.

It deserves to be a major Bronze key - and by your "comic total market cap" calculation, I'd wager it's fairly high up there.

What other books sell for $200+ in 9.0, but are so *ridiculously* common (more than 6,000 copies on the census at 9.0 or higher)?

40 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
On 9/28/2020 at 7:35 AM, valiantman said:

It's true, though.

Nobody knew the movie would be a hit when the comic came out more than a month beforehand - and even 20th Century Fox thought it would bomb.

It deserves to be a major Bronze key - and by your "comic total market cap" calculation, I'd wager it's fairly high up there.

What other books sell for $200+ in 9.0, but are so *ridiculously* common (more than 6,000 copies on the census at 9.0 or higher)?

There was a novelization available in 1976, so it doesn't qualify as a "visual collectible" (apart from the front cover), but the earliest Star Wars "paper" was a paperback before the comics.

SW#1 is a must-have, because of its ridiculous importance (so many key first appearances; staved off Marvel's bankruptcy; captivated so many minds; etc.).  SW#1 35-c variant is even more so because of the legit scarcity.  According to Overstreet, it is the #1 bronze key.  There are only 256 slabbed copies of SW#1 35-c variant in TOTAL for all grades combined, whether blue, yellow, green, or purple.   Overstreet estimates that only 1,500 copies were printed to begin with (!), and that only 500 might have survived in any condition to this day.  

By comparison, TMNT#1, a super-rare copper-age book in its own right, has 950 CGC slabs on census, which is twice the expected number of slabbed and raw SW#1 35-c books combined.   Include raw TMNT#1s, and the disparity is even more remarkable.   If the market frenzy turns to SW#1 35-c next (in addition to 30-c SW#1, which is already heating up), it could be some ride, even though the book is already pricey.  

The SW#1 35-c has been relatively stable of late, so I got one recently.  I had been focusing on other ages.  Glad to show some overdue love to my bronze PC.  :cloud9:

754988335_StarWars1(CGC8.0)-front1.thumb.jpg.918db3bb6436f2ad863f1734bc1c6b3d.jpg

Edited by Pantodude