• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Any idea what the print run for this book was?

I believe the Marvel Star Wars 1 had several million copies printed, but I believe that was spread across all the reprints, the Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars, and 2 treasuries that featured that issues. This issue is probably the single most common Marvel comic printed in the 70s. It is the most common treasury as well. Regardless, I'm a collector and have a small hoard of this issue (multiple printings, foreign editions, PBs, treasuries, etc.)

Edited by rjrjr

I like the idea... (thumbs u I dont have anything near as pretty as that 9.8! Great book BTW! But, I do have a interesting foreign set to contribute...

American, German, French Canadian, Mexican, Greek... and a deal on a Dutch in the works... :wishluck:

StarWars1_set.jpg

Star-Wars1_greekSW.jpg

Define999, that is a terrific collection you have there. I'll be PMing you shortly. (thumbs u

Star Wars 1 Philippine/Alemar's edition. Wonder which is rarer: this or the National Bookstore version which was shown in a link some pages back.

2iurwwz.jpg

2eeybtz.jpg

29yh6s7.jpg

1zck60p.jpg

f37rza.jpg

Amazing! :o:o:o:o

I think the answer is the Alamar is rarer... This bookstore had as far as I understand.... less bookstores, less places of business.... and it makes sense to conclude the print runs were smaller. This book is amazing sir! (worship)

I like the idea... (thumbs u I dont have anything near as pretty as that 9.8! Great book BTW! But, I do have a interesting foreign set to contribute...

American, German, French Canadian, Mexican, Greek... and a deal on a Dutch in the works... :wishluck:

StarWars1_set.jpg

Star-Wars1_greekSW.jpg

Define999, that is a terrific collection you have there. I'll be PMing you shortly. (thumbs u

Thanks! (thumbs u My collection has grown a bit since I first posted this set..... :gossip:

StarWars_foreign_issue1.jpg

Im still looking to get the UK foreign, and now both Filipino foreigns..... :wishluck:

Edited by Define999

Star Wars 1 Philippine/Alemar's edition. Wonder which is rarer: this or the National Bookstore version.

I think the answer is the Alamar is rarer... This bookstore had as far as I understand.... less bookstores, less places of business.... and it makes sense to conclude the print runs were smaller.

21986yd.jpg

Their ad obviously does not agree. ;) My uncle did say Alemar's (note the spelling, Define) was more popular than NB before. That means NB had fewer than 12 branches once upon a time. I just don't know when the latter overtook the former. As a kid they seemed to have the same number of customers. I frequented Rizal Avenue (about a 10 minute ride from our home; commuting here is very easy, even for a kid) and their respective stores were about 15 stores apart from each other. Alemar's had since closed shop with their other branches following suit years later. That store is empty for probably over 15 years now. No other store bothered to rent it out. I wonder why.

Side note: Goodwill had two branches along that street. I rarely went there because I don't remember seeing any comic there. Besides, they were further down the road. Both branches are long gone. Goodwill goes by the name of Bridges these days. With all those bookstores there, Rizal Avenue was a highly commercial area. Those days are gone.

In the Philippine Variant thread I did say that I bought only Archie reprints from Alemar's. I don't remember them having superhero reprints at all! If they were that rare back then (or simply not well-displayed), they are much more so now! Imagine my surprise when I got the SW 1 to find that it wasn't by NB!

When I found it at a flea market about 3 weeks ago, I knew I found a treasure. I did leave behind a Blondie and a Beetle Bailey. Plus 2 others I don't remember. Definitely not superheroes or I would've bought them. When I returned, they were no longer there. I simply coundn't find the seller. Was it a mistake passing them up? They might show up on ebay!

Define, impressive foreign SW 1 collection! Are they all NM? Are any recent printings or did all of them come out soon after the original did? Or do you even bother to know?

If decide I want money instead, would you want mine? This is not a rhetorical question :) If all those are NM, this should stick out like a sore thumb.

Can't find the link to the NB edition in this thread. Maybe I saw it in the Philippine variants thread. Apparently AB and NB versions look identical: no issue number, no cover price and no UPC.

Was it an online store? Or some sort of gallery? If it were a store, how much did they get?

Licensing must have been real cheap then. Imagine the bookstores juggling them. Or maybe they were non-exclusive and some titles were printed simultaneously by the 2 (3?).

-Historian Arthur

Star Wars 1 Philippine/Alemar's edition. Wonder which is rarer: this or the National Bookstore version.

I think the answer is the Alamar is rarer... This bookstore had as far as I understand.... less bookstores, less places of business.... and it makes sense to conclude the print runs were smaller.

21986yd.jpg

Their ad obviously does not agree. ;) My uncle did say Alemar's (note the spelling, Define) was more popular than NB before. That means NB had fewer than 12 branches once upon a time. I just don't know when the latter overtook the former. As a kid they seemed to have the same number of customers. I frequented Rizal Avenue (about a 10 minute ride from our home; commuting here is very easy, even for a kid) and their respective stores were about 15 stores apart from each other. Alemar's had since closed shop with their other branches following suit years later. That store is empty for probably over 15 years now. No other store bothered to rent it out. I wonder why.

Side note: Goodwill had two branches along that street. I rarely went there because I don't remember seeing any comic there. Besides, they were further down the road. Both branches are long gone. Goodwill goes by the name of Bridges these days. With all those bookstores there, Rizal Avenue was a highly commercial area. Those days are gone.

In the Philippine Variant thread I did say that I bought only Archie reprints from Alemar's. I don't remember them having superhero reprints at all! If they were that rare back then (or simply not well-displayed), they are much more so now! Imagine my surprise when I got the SW 1 to find that it wasn't by NB!

When I found it at a flea market about 3 weeks ago, I knew I found a treasure. I did leave behind a Blondie and a Beetle Bailey. Plus 2 others I don't remember. Definitely not superheroes or I would've bought them. When I returned, they were no longer there. I simply coundn't find the seller. Was it a mistake passing them up? They might show up on ebay!

Define, impressive foreign SW 1 collection! Are they all NM? Are any recent printings or did all of them come out soon after the original did? Or do you even bother to know?

If decide I want money instead, would you want mine? This is not a rhetorical question :) If all those are NM, this should stick out like a sore thumb.

Can't find the link to the NB edition in this thread. Maybe I saw it in the Philippine variants thread. Apparently AB and NB versions look identical: no issue number, no cover price and no UPC.

Was it an online store? Or some sort of gallery? If it were a store, how much did they get?

Licensing must have been real cheap then. Imagine the bookstores juggling them. Or maybe they were non-exclusive and some titles were printed simultaneously by the 2 (3?).

-Historian Arthur

To answer the most pressing question.... YES! If you want money I can do that, if you want trade maybe I have something you might be interested in... hm

Yes their ad does state that.... wow how interesting.... hm Also interesting how few Alemar books seem to exist in comparison to NB's? Why would that be.....

PM sent! (thumbs u

Picked up a few of these unopened packages at an auction

years ago.

11352418535_c714c504d6.jpg

mm

These 3 packs are very common on E-Bay with one or more listed at any given time. They go for $10 - $15 usually, although I've snagged a few in the past few years for under $10.

I'm guessing your 3 packs have the word REPRINT printed on the cover vertically below the diamond. What I've been trying to figure out is where do the $0.35 copies without the word REPRINT with the diamond and a blank UPC come from? I've bought several of these bags over the years and have never seen one without the word REPRINT for issues 1-3.

On this page http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html I'm referring to the first 3 issues on the last row.

Also, I noticed on that page the $0.35 5 and 6 with diamond and blank UPC are not reprints, but I have 3 packs with those 2 copies and the $0.35 4 with diamond and blank UPC that is a reprint. So, they bundled a reprint with 2 non-reprints?

i have a couple of loose books with the word reprint on the cover...

as best I can tell these in the bag do not say reprint...maybe inside.

mm

Are you sure? It's hard to tell unless you have a good angle to see the box with Luke in it. If they really don't say REPRINT on them, I would really love to buy one of these bags off you. Let me know.

i have a couple of loose books with the word reprint on the cover...

as best I can tell these in the bag do not say reprint...maybe inside.

mm

Are you sure? It's hard to tell unless you have a good angle to see the box with Luke in it. If they really don't say REPRINT on them, I would really love to buy one of these bags off you. Let me know.

With closer examination I can see the reprint copy next to the box with Luke.

Thanks for your help.

mm