• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

with Chaykin on, it becomes useless as a Celebrity Yellow label book (many Celebrity SS collectors like celebs only) and you are already excluding the Blue only market.

So true. Did not think of it when Broke as a Joke asked; but I learned this the hard way when trying to unload some SS 9.8 slabs. Not specifically with Chaykin, but if you don't have the proper John Hancock on the comic you will get much less than current market value because you are not only excluding the blue label only buyers but the signature crowd will not be interested as much either.

with Chaykin on, it becomes useless as a Celebrity Yellow label book (many Celebrity SS collectors like celebs only) and you are already excluding the Blue only market.

So true. Did not think of it when Broke as a Joke asked; but I learned this the hard way when trying to unload some SS 9.8 slabs. Not specifically with Chaykin, but if you don't have the proper John Hancock on the comic you will get much less than current market value because you are not only excluding the blue label only buyers but the signature crowd will not be interested as much either.

So nobody thinks the seller's insane "item description" just caused a self-fulfilling prophecy ? (shrug)

-J.

They will probably start to go back up in price, when the trailer for the next SW hits.

Jaydogrules, looked at the link you provided.Seller did himself no favors with his description.

But like Seanfingh said, a Chaykin sig has drawbacks.

Unless any given book is insanely popular at the moment, eBay auctions generally blow, as well.

The time to sell SW #1's via suction will probably be 6 months from now, whenever the trailer for the next SW movie is released.

Intil then, I'd say it's a book to put up via BIN and just wait.

Seller is a boardie. Rather popular one right now too... :D

Very sketchy. From the feedback, it looks like the seller reneged on the auction, didn't ship the book and refunded the buyer's payment. The buyer left a nasty negative and the seller has now relisted the book as a BIN.

Seller comic-sutra now has a data point in GPA of his book selling for $861 where he is trying to now resell the same book for double. Interesting strategy.

This book is garbage and always was. It never sold for more than 25% of guide

and you would have to blow out sets because it was pure junk from an art and stories standpoint.

I'm pretty happy to have blown out my 22 copies in CGC 9.8, along with a slew of CGC 9.6's and 9.4's, long before the movie in December 2015.

I can't believe people paid $500 for it 4 years ago,with my last copies selling

for $1,800 to $2,000 for books that each cost me 25¢ + grading fees in 2012.

Just ridiculous to waste that kind of money.

But I see it over and over again with any movie and T.V hype.

Just shampoo, rinse and repeat.

Very sketchy. From the feedback, it looks like the seller reneged on the auction, didn't ship the book and refunded the buyer's payment. The buyer left a nasty negative and the seller has now relisted the book as a BIN.

Seller comic-sutra now has a data point in GPA of his book selling for $861 where he is trying to now resell the same book for double. Interesting strategy.

Interesting.

This book is garbage and always was. It never sold for more than 25% of guide

and you would have to blow out sets because it was pure junk from an art and stories standpoint.

I'm pretty happy to have blown out my 22 copies in CGC 9.8, along with a slew of CGC 9.6's and 9.4's, long before the movie in December 2015.

I can't believe people paid $500 for it 4 years ago,with my last copies selling

for $1,800 to $2,000 for books that each cost me 25¢ + grading fees in 2012.

Just ridiculous to waste that kind of money.

But I see it over and over again with any movie and T.V hype.

Just shampoo, rinse and repeat.

Are you talking about the Marvel Star Wars comic or some other book? Because the Star Wars comic is far from garbage. Or maybe you haven't been paying attention to what the top selling comics have been for the past year. (shrug)

Star Wars #1 is arguably the most reprinted comic around the world. And it is still being reprinted to this day. That doesn't seem like a garbage book to me. What is astonishing is with how many reprints there are, how has this book been able to climb to where it has.

Edited by rjrjr

Interesting.

If you believe the response, it had to do with failure to pay sales tax. I believe it, knowing what a stickler he is for stuff like that. Buyer may have been a dummy and provided a sweet opportunity to jettison that awful sale.

Interesting.

If you believe the response, it had to do with failure to pay sales tax. I believe it, knowing what a stickler he is for stuff like that. Buyer may have been a dummy and provided a sweet opportunity to jettison that awful sale.

Oh, okay so it's his:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9241874#Post9241874

And no, I don't believe his response.

-J.

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9241874#Post9241874

-J.

Now that is interesting. And CA sales tax is 9%? :o

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

-J.

I can tell you as fact that the sales tax is automatically added at checkout to in-state transactions on ebay, the buyer had no choice to pay it if he consummated the sale (as both parties agree he did) and lived in-state.

-J.

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

-J.

I can tell you as fact that the sales tax is automatically added at checkout to in-state transactions on ebay.

-J.

And it could be that, upon checkout and seeing the ST added, he contacted the Seller and asked for an off-EBay transaction.

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

-J.

I can tell you as fact that the sales tax is automatically added at checkout to in-state transactions on ebay.

-J.

And it could be that, upon checkout and seeing the ST added, he contacted the Seller and asked for an off-EBay transaction.

No, he said he paid and that the seller refunded his money and did everything he could to not complete the sale.

It's obvious what happened.

-J.

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

-J.

-J.

No, he said he paid and that the seller refunded his money and did everything he could to not complete the sale.

-J.

Well, I don't think it makes sense to treat either parties statements as gospel.

Interesting.

Oh, okay so it's his:

-J.

-J.

-J.

Well, I don't think it makes sense to treat either parties statements as gospel.

If this wasn't a boardie people would be demanding a pound of flesh for something like this.

You're free to believe whatever you like, but as a collector and buyer only who this has happened to before, I am personally disturbed.

The buyer obviously got a good deal (at least at current FMV) and promptly paid. At that price, no one would quibble over another $70 for sales tax.

-J.