• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

At that price, no one would quibble over another $70 for sales tax.

-J.

Oh man. People quibble over everything. Shipping, duties, import tax, sales tax, doesn't matter. I don't have to stretch my imagination very far to think a buyer wanted a better deal by avoiding some extra required fee.

RMA and I don't particularly care for one another, but I find it hard to believe he would do something that silly to torpedo his otherwise good selling eBay reputation. He never struck me as at all shady in his dealings.

-J.

Oh man. People quibble over everything. Shipping, duties, import tax, sales tax, doesn't matter. I don't have to stretch my imagination very far to think a buyer wanted a better deal by avoiding some extra required fee.

RMA and I don't particularly care for one another, but I find it hard to believe he would do something that silly to torpedo ruin his otherwise good selling eBay reputation. He never struck me a at all shady in his dealings.

Maybe ? I just don't see a buyer negging a seller like that on such an apparently good deal, just because he (the seller) didn't want to do a deal off from ebay "and" to avoid a measly $70 tax.

That seems highly implausible , especially compared to the other potential scenario (seller just didn't like the final auction price and wiggled out of the deal).

-J.

-J.

RMA and I don't particularly care for one another, but I find it hard to believe he would do something that silly to torpedo ruin his otherwise good selling eBay reputation. He never struck me a at all shady in his dealings.

Maybe ? I just don't see a buyer negging a seller like that on such an apparently good deal, just because he (the seller) didn't want to do a deal off from ebay "and" to avoid a measly $70 tax.

That seems highly implausible , especially compared to the other potential scenario (seller just didn't like the final auction price and wiggled out of the deal).

-J.

No way RMA pulls anything shady. He is straight up honest in his dealings.

He and I definitely do not agree on things outside of comics, but he is an honest sort.

+1 since RMA isn't here to defend himself due to a strike, he posted his version of the failed transaction here - you can read further from there if you want.

The actual text of his post, explaining the failed transaction, is in the spoiler.

nostalgiawon

Full disclosure: This was the Star Wars #1 CGC 9.8 that sold for a ridiculously low price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191833235330?euid=72a4114ea00e454e85e852e56f4b8e90&cp=1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

However, an auction is an auction, so I sent the buyer an invoice immediately after the listing ended. All of my listings state, in big bold letters, that California residents must pay 9% sales tax. Also, all of my listings have, or are supposed to have, that sales tax automatically added to CA addresses when it comes time for invoice.

I didn't check the invoice to make sure, because it's always been automatic, and I didn't notice that the buyer was from CA until I looked at the Paypal payment that the buyer sent.

Paid that night, not a problem...but then I discovered that CA sales tax wasn't included. So, I refunded the payment, made sure Sales Tax was on the invoice, and resent it...assuming the buyer would pay, and that would be that, especially considering they got such a smoking deal....then the correspondence started:

Hello Mr. XXXXXX. Thank you for your quick payment. However, as noted in the listing, we are required to collect California state Sales Tax, and that wasn't included. I don't know why; it should have been automatically included in the invoice.

In any event, I will need to refund your payment, and you will need to resend payment that includes the Sales Tax. Sorry for the inconvenience!

His response:

Hi, I only paid the invoice that was sent to me. Why the sudden change in invoice? Anyway around the sales tax?

Hi. There wasn't a sudden change in invoice; the invoice wasn't correct to begin with. The CA sales tax requirement is in the listing. As I explained, that wasn't added automatically, and I don't know why, but it should have been, and I will contact eBay to find out what the problem is/was. I know you only paid the invoice sent, but it wasn't a correct invoice. You have been sent a corrected invoice.

There is no way around it; we are required to collect Sales Tax. Honestly, you got such an incredible, incredible deal, I don't think that the Sales Tax paid will make much of a difference on that. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the break down.

Being this went through eBay, this deal wasn't so much of a deal being its now on record through gpa for what it sold for. However gpa does not account for taxes. Also, it's honestly not the bad signature that caused this to end low. I can give you our dealer resale number tomorrow. That should eliminate sales tax correct?

I understand your reasoning, but what's reported on GPA isn't really our concern. The fact is, the book sold for a small fraction of what similar copies have been selling for. You got an incredible deal, about half what books like these have sold for in the recent past (and nearly 2/3 less than the last Chaykin sig.) The signature isn't bad at all; it's perfectly fine. It just didn't scan well.

If you don't feel like it is a good deal for you, I would be more than happy to cancel the transaction. I'm not at all pleased with how this ended, but I know that's not your fault in any way. However, if you're balking at the Sales Tax, after getting free shipping (and with insurance, this will cost me $30+ to ship) and such a low bid price, then we can cancel the transaction, if you'd like. Frankly, at this price, I'm really not too interested in a lot of debate about it, and if you're not happy with this, again, I'm more than happy to cancel the transaction. It would help me out quite a bit.

As for your resale number, we're not set up to deal with that. You'll have to deal with the state on that on your own (and they have a way to deal with that; we do it every year.) We just charge Sales Tax, and whatever you need to claim at the end of the year is up to you.

(note: he never supplied a resale number. Not sure if he had one or not, but the state of CA has a mechanism to reclaim sales tax paid when you file your return...IF he had a state seller's permit.)

Then this message, sent at 8:35AM on 3/28:

I can see your perspective. Would you mind sending me a text .....XXX.XXX.XXXX.

Thanks,

Vaughn

Then this next message, sent the same day, at 11:58AM:

When you have a chance please text me. I have questions..

XXX.XXX.XXXX

-Vaughn

Hi...I don't do text messaging with eBay transactions, but you're free to e-mail me at the address on the Paypal payment. I can't give it here, as you know, but it's the one that is XXXXXX. Please feel to discuss what you'd like through there. Thanks!

Up to this point, I was still committed to the sale...so yes, he was trying to get out of paying the Sales Tax....which shouldn't have been a problem at all, if he had a seller's permit...you can just claim it when you file...so all he needed to do was pay the second invoice, and the book would have been on its way.

Then, correspondence continued through AOL:

Hi,

Thanks for the message in where to email you. I just wanted to reach out to you to see if you would be interested in an option. Wanted to see if we could both benefit by using PayPal invoice. With your ebay final value fees around 10%, would you be willing to send me a PayPal invoice for $861 for the amount I won this at? Then I will accept a cancellation through eBay so you don't get charged. There's been enough back and forth messages where it's convincing we may not agree to the terms. This way we both can save some $..

Very best,

Vaughn XXXXX

meh

The guy just handed me the reason for cancelling the sale on a silver platter, by suggesting we defraud eBay AND the state of CA. And after I outright TOLD him I wasn't happy with the end price.

Because, you know...."we can both save some $."

meh

So, I ignored that, and waited for him to either resend correct payment, or go away.

So he continues:

Hi,

I'm following up on this email request...

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Yes, I got all of your correspondences. So, if I understand you correctly, you want to not only NOT pay Sales Tax, which was listed in the description as being required, but now you're ok with me not paying eBay fees? And there's enough back and forth to convince you that we "may not agree to the terms", even though those terms were spelled out in big, bold letters in the listing...? Really?

I think it's best if we just cancel the transaction, period. I'm not comfortable...at all...with the things you're suggesting we do.

Then, he sends the following e-mail FIVE TIMES:

I've been trying to pay this online through ebay and I haven't been successful due to your invoice adding on an extra $861 in fees. Why the extra fees? Please revise and resend ASAP. I'll pay it today!

Best Regards,

Vaughn

And then this message back through eBay again:

I'm looking to pay this through the ebay invoice you had resent and there's an error on there. I"m on the phone right now with Hannah , ebay customer service dept/buying and general support, and the invoice you sent has a duplicate charge. She and I agree you have charged an additional $861 under extra charges. Please revise invoice and resend. I will pay this right away!

Item (1) $861.00

Shipping Free

Sales tax $77.49

Seller extra charges $861.00

Order total $1,799.49

So, I look at the invoice, and it shows the correct total just fine...no "seller extra charges"...so I call in to eBay to confirm, and it's fine on their end....so I write back one final time:

You have sent this e-mail five times. There are no extra charges on the invoice. I'm looking at it right now. It shows the correct total. I don't know what "Hannah" (probably not her real name) is looking at, but she is incorrect. The invoice shows the correct total, which is $938.49.

And then filed a cancellation...

And today, I get negative feedback.

What a peach. This guy was annoyed that he had to pay sales tax, and also that this sale would be reported on GPA, because it would cut into his flipping profits. He outright says so....then suggests that we ought to collude to defraud eBay and the state.

Not smart.

Admittedly...and I think I was pretty clear about this....I was hoping the buyer wouldn't pay, or something would happen, and the transaction would be cancelled. I make no bones about that. But, the way the buyer went about it, after I openly told him I would be happy to cancel the transaction, and then to suggest fraud...? I couldn't have scripted that, and I cancel with a clean conscience. Frankly, I'm still amazed this guy tried to get an even better deal than he was entitled to.

:screwy:

Beware.

By the by....is "nostalgiawon" a CGC board member? If so, I'd like to toss them on the Probation List for this.

+1 since RMA isn't here to defend himself due to a strike, he posted his version of the failed transaction here - you can read further from there if you want.

The actual text of his post, explaining the failed transaction, is in the spoiler.

nostalgiawon

Full disclosure: This was the Star Wars #1 CGC 9.8 that sold for a ridiculously low price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191833235330?euid=72a4114ea00e454e85e852e56f4b8e90&cp=1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

However, an auction is an auction, so I sent the buyer an invoice immediately after the listing ended. All of my listings state, in big bold letters, that California residents must pay 9% sales tax. Also, all of my listings have, or are supposed to have, that sales tax automatically added to CA addresses when it comes time for invoice.

I didn't check the invoice to make sure, because it's always been automatic, and I didn't notice that the buyer was from CA until I looked at the Paypal payment that the buyer sent.

Paid that night, not a problem...but then I discovered that CA sales tax wasn't included. So, I refunded the payment, made sure Sales Tax was on the invoice, and resent it...assuming the buyer would pay, and that would be that, especially considering they got such a smoking deal....then the correspondence started:

Hello Mr. XXXXXX. Thank you for your quick payment. However, as noted in the listing, we are required to collect California state Sales Tax, and that wasn't included. I don't know why; it should have been automatically included in the invoice.

In any event, I will need to refund your payment, and you will need to resend payment that includes the Sales Tax. Sorry for the inconvenience!

His response:

Hi, I only paid the invoice that was sent to me. Why the sudden change in invoice? Anyway around the sales tax?

Hi. There wasn't a sudden change in invoice; the invoice wasn't correct to begin with. The CA sales tax requirement is in the listing. As I explained, that wasn't added automatically, and I don't know why, but it should have been, and I will contact eBay to find out what the problem is/was. I know you only paid the invoice sent, but it wasn't a correct invoice. You have been sent a corrected invoice.

There is no way around it; we are required to collect Sales Tax. Honestly, you got such an incredible, incredible deal, I don't think that the Sales Tax paid will make much of a difference on that. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Being this went through eBay, this deal wasn't so much of a deal being its now on record through gpa for what it sold for. However gpa does not account for taxes. Also, it's honestly not the bad signature that caused this to end low. I can give you our dealer resale number tomorrow. That should eliminate sales tax correct?

I understand your reasoning, but what's reported on GPA isn't really our concern. The fact is, the book sold for a small fraction of what similar copies have been selling for. You got an incredible deal, about half what books like these have sold for in the recent past (and nearly 2/3 less than the last Chaykin sig.) The signature isn't bad at all; it's perfectly fine. It just didn't scan well.

If you don't feel like it is a good deal for you, I would be more than happy to cancel the transaction. I'm not at all pleased with how this ended, but I know that's not your fault in any way. However, if you're balking at the Sales Tax, after getting free shipping (and with insurance, this will cost me $30+ to ship) and such a low bid price, then we can cancel the transaction, if you'd like. Frankly, at this price, I'm really not too interested in a lot of debate about it, and if you're not happy with this, again, I'm more than happy to cancel the transaction. It would help me out quite a bit.

As for your resale number, we're not set up to deal with that. You'll have to deal with the state on that on your own (and they have a way to deal with that; we do it every year.) We just charge Sales Tax, and whatever you need to claim at the end of the year is up to you.

(note: he never supplied a resale number. Not sure if he had one or not, but the state of CA has a mechanism to reclaim sales tax paid when you file your return...IF he had a state seller's permit.)

Thanks,

Vaughn

XXX.XXX.XXXX

-Vaughn

Hi...I don't do text messaging with eBay transactions, but you're free to e-mail me at the address on the Paypal payment. I can't give it here, as you know, but it's the one that is XXXXXX. Please feel to discuss what you'd like through there. Thanks!

Up to this point, I was still committed to the sale...so yes, he was trying to get out of paying the Sales Tax....which shouldn't have been a problem at all, if he had a seller's permit...you can just claim it when you file...so all he needed to do was pay the second invoice, and the book would have been on its way.

Hi,

Thanks for the message in where to email you. I just wanted to reach out to you to see if you would be interested in an option. Wanted to see if we could both benefit by using PayPal invoice. With your ebay final value fees around 10%, would you be willing to send me a PayPal invoice for $861 for the amount I won this at? Then I will accept a cancellation through eBay so you don't get charged. There's been enough back and forth messages where it's convincing we may not agree to the terms. This way we both can save some $..

Very best,

Vaughn XXXXX

meh

The guy just handed me the reason for cancelling the sale on a silver platter, by suggesting we defraud eBay AND the state of CA. And after I outright TOLD him I wasn't happy with the end price.

meh

So, I ignored that, and waited for him to either resend correct payment, or go away.

So he continues:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Yes, I got all of your correspondences. So, if I understand you correctly, you want to not only NOT pay Sales Tax, which was listed in the description as being required, but now you're ok with me not paying eBay fees? And there's enough back and forth to convince you that we "may not agree to the terms", even though those terms were spelled out in big, bold letters in the listing...? Really?

I think it's best if we just cancel the transaction, period. I'm not comfortable...at all...with the things you're suggesting we do.

I've been trying to pay this online through ebay and I haven't been successful due to your invoice adding on an extra $861 in fees. Why the extra fees? Please revise and resend ASAP. I'll pay it today!

Best Regards,

Vaughn

I'm looking to pay this through the ebay invoice you had resent and there's an error on there. I"m on the phone right now with Hannah , ebay customer service dept/buying and general support, and the invoice you sent has a duplicate charge. She and I agree you have charged an additional $861 under extra charges. Please revise invoice and resend. I will pay this right away!

Item (1) $861.00

Shipping Free

Sales tax $77.49

Order total $1,799.49

So, I look at the invoice, and it shows the correct total just fine...no "seller extra charges"...so I call in to eBay to confirm, and it's fine on their end....so I write back one final time:

You have sent this e-mail five times. There are no extra charges on the invoice. I'm looking at it right now. It shows the correct total. I don't know what "Hannah" (probably not her real name) is looking at, but she is incorrect. The invoice shows the correct total, which is $938.49.

What a peach. This guy was annoyed that he had to pay sales tax, and also that this sale would be reported on GPA, because it would cut into his flipping profits. He outright says so....then suggests that we ought to collude to defraud eBay and the state.

Not smart.

Admittedly...and I think I was pretty clear about this....I was hoping the buyer wouldn't pay, or something would happen, and the transaction would be cancelled. I make no bones about that. But, the way the buyer went about it, after I openly told him I would be happy to cancel the transaction, and then to suggest fraud...? I couldn't have scripted that, and I cancel with a clean conscience. Frankly, I'm still amazed this guy tried to get an even better deal than he was entitled to.

Beware.

By the by....is "nostalgiawon" a CGC board member? If so, I'd like to toss them on the Probation List for this.

hm

Yep. That's definitely his side. (thumbs u

-J.

Seller is a boardie. Rather popular one right now too... :D

Very sketchy. From the feedback, it looks like the seller reneged on the auction, didn't ship the book and refunded the buyer's payment. The buyer left a nasty negative and the seller has now relisted the book as a BIN.

Seller comic-sutra now has a data point in GPA of his book selling for $861 where he is trying to now resell the same book for double. Interesting strategy.

Interesting.

If you believe the response, it had to do with failure to pay sales tax. I believe it, knowing what a stickler he is for stuff like that. Buyer may have been a dummy and provided a sweet opportunity to jettison that awful sale.

Oh, okay so it's his:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9241874#Post9241874

And no, I don't believe his response.

-J.

Now that is interesting. And CA sales tax is 9%? :o

I can tell you as fact that the sales tax is automatically added at checkout to in-state transactions on ebay.

-J.

And it could be that, upon checkout and seeing the ST added, he contacted the Seller and asked for an off-EBay transaction.

No, he said he paid and that the seller refunded his money and did everything he could to not complete the sale.

It's obvious what happened.

-J.

Well, I don't think it makes sense to treat either parties statements as gospel.

When you hate anyone as much as J hates RMA, you're beyond making sense. :ohnoez:

nostalgiawon

His response:

Thanks,

Vaughn

XXX.XXX.XXXX

-Vaughn

Hi,

Very best,

Vaughn XXXXX

meh

meh

So he continues:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Item (1) $861.00

Shipping Free

Sales tax $77.49

Order total $1,799.49

Not smart.

Beware.

hm

-J.

It is pretty uncool to be attacking someone that you know is not here to defend himself. Especially this someone with your history with him.

nostalgiawon

His response:

Thanks,

Vaughn

XXX.XXX.XXXX

-Vaughn

Hi,

Very best,

Vaughn XXXXX

meh

meh

So he continues:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Item (1) $861.00

Shipping Free

Sales tax $77.49

Order total $1,799.49

Not smart.

Beware.

hm

-J.

It is pretty uncool to be attacking someone that you know is not here to defend himself. Especially this someone with your history with him.

Look I haven't "attacked" anybody, my "history" with him is similar, if not the same as dozens of others on here, and it's not my problem that he's on a time out. I'll post my opinions as I please , and for the record, I'm not even the one who first pointed out the sketchy transaction in the first place.

-J.

nostalgiawon

His response:

Thanks,

Vaughn

XXX.XXX.XXXX

-Vaughn

Hi,

Very best,

Vaughn XXXXX

meh

meh

So he continues:

Hi,

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Best Regards,

Vaughn

Item (1) $861.00

Shipping Free

Sales tax $77.49

Order total $1,799.49

Not smart.

Beware.

hm

-J.

Look I haven't "attacked" anybody, my "history" with him is similar, if not the same as dozens of others on here, and it's not my problem that he's on a time out. I'll post my opinions as I please , and for the record, I'm not even the one who first pointed out the sketchy transaction in the first place.

-J.

Fair enough. Trust me, I've had my squabbles with RMA and you in the past. It just comes of as being petty to me. But, maybe I'm reading this wrong.

In either case :foryou:

I reviewed this whole thread and didn't notice one of these posted. I just picked it up.

Star_Wars1_Indonesian_zpseosnhxrt.jpg

I was in Indonesia when Star Wars came out so this special variant has special meaning. What's crazy is that the cover and entire issue were redrawn by Jan Mindaraga. This is one of the most unique comics I've ever run across.

Rarer than the 35 cent edition?

Cool find. Here is my blog about that comic (and the other 2 comics in the series):

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2015/04/retro-foreign-indonesian-star-wars-part_6.html

Indonesia has a plethora of unique Star Wars comics.

Quite informative! Need to find more of these!

Yes, yes you do... the lovingly reproduced panels on the interior are very very cool! Jan Mindaraga was talented. The interiors contain issue 2 of course but who cares? I don't, any Star Wars ephemera collector worth his salt is gonna one day want some of these Indo bootlegs for thier collections.

An example compare and contrast of the last page.....

12391185_1685912038344150_2219246458242409341_n%202.jpg

And yes, could very well be rarer than the 35 center... but who knows. Ron might have a better idea on rarity. One thing for sure.... considering a large grouping of collectors in Indonesia probably are not bagging/boarding or properly taking care of these books.... Who knows how many get destroyed from attrition on a yearly basis?

Very sketchy. From the feedback, it looks like the seller reneged on the auction, didn't ship the book and refunded the buyer's payment. The buyer left a nasty negative and the seller has now relisted the book as a BIN.

Seller comic-sutra now has a data point in GPA of his book selling for $861 where he is trying to now resell the same book for double. Interesting strategy.

:hi:

Hey, I didn't even know this was here!

By the way, if anyone would like to question my integrity, they are certainly free to contact the buyer for his side of the story. His eBay user name is "Nostalgiawon."

I said from the outset that I wasn't happy with the price, and that I was hoping for some sort of fail on the transaction...and the dopey buyer provided it.

I will provide several people I trust with complete access to my eBay and e-mail accounts to confirm that I haven't altered or omitted a single pertinent word from my account (I don't believe I've omitted ANYTHING from the account, but there may have been a stray message I missed. Regardless, if my integrity is being called to account, let's deal with it, openly and honestly.)

By the way....eBay removed that negative feedback, and I didn't even ask for it to be removed. It came up during the course of a different issue.

Sooooo.....do I get a retraction on the "very sketchy" comment...? :wishluck: