• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Spider-Man’s reclusive co-creator worth $1.3M when he died

August 27, 2018

He co-created Spider-Man — yet died with a relative pittance in the bank.

Steve Ditko, who helped create the Marvel Comic superhero that morphed into a multibillion-dollar industry, left behind an estimated $1.3 million when he died, new Manhattan court papers show — although that figure may even be a stretch, his lawyer acknowledged to The Post on Monday.

“It’s possible that he’s not worth that much,” said the lawyer, Howard Borkan, who added that he only learned about the reclusive Ditko’s life as a comic-book extraordinaire from his obituary after he died at age 90 in June.

Ditko’s two siblings, an elderly brother and sister, are his only heirs and will inherit his modest estate since he did not leave a will.

The $1.3 million figure is based on an estimate provided by the brother, Patrick S. Ditko, according to Borkan.

But Patrick, 83, admitted to The Post on Monday, “I know nothing about his finances or anything about his personal life.”

His brother was never in it for the money, Patrick added, and that’s probably a good thing: Copyright laws funneled all the profits stemming from Spider-Man went to Ditko’s former employer, Marvel.

Ditko and collaborator Stan Lee first released their creation — Peter Parker and his secret persona Spider-Man — in Marvel’s “Amazing Fantasy” comic in 1962.

But Ditko, who never married or had kids, shunned publicity.

“Until he passed I didn’t know what he had done,” his lawyer said, adding that Ditko came to him years ago for help renegotiating his lease.

Borkan said he only knew Ditko as a “very nice man” whose hearing had gone in the last few years of his life.

“He was hard to reach on the phone. I don’t think he had an answering machine,” Borkan said.

Patrick said his older brother last visited the family’s hometown of Johnstown, Pa., a few years ago. Patrick and his sister, Elizabeth Russak, 87, still live in Johnstown, where their late steel-mill worker dad introduced his eldest son to newspaper comics.

Ditko had been hospitalized for “age issues” at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital in the months leading up to his death June 29, Borkan said.

He was six months behind on the $2,000-a-month rent for his West 51st Street apartment when he died, although this was because “he was in the hospital,” Borkan said.

Ditko was released from the hospital, only to die alone in his apartment.

“His body was not found until a few days later when the NYPD had to be called to gain access to the unit,” Borkan wrote in court papers.

36 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

The Daily Comic Book Panel Thread

Here's today's 2nd panel. 

Identify the issue if you can. 

I'll be opening new panels and giving clues if no one gets it.

7PGnBwC.jpg

We have a ^^.

Stu got another one. Link

noblls.jpg

Aparo!  :cloud9:

The Brave and the Bold #112

WWpiW1F.jpg

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit
Added Stu's Photo

I'm going to try something new. 

Winners get to select the next Artist, Series, Character, era, etc., as long as it isn't too specific.  Could even be a combination like Silver Age Bats or something.

Stu has selected "Something cosmic." 

I'll have something up soon.

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

Here's today's 3rd panel. 

The AF15 is just the background I'm using.

Note:  Winners may select the next Artist, Series, Character, era, combination, etc.; as long as it isn't too specific.  Please specify with your answer.

Hint:  Stu has selected "Something cosmic." 

NT1jRCV.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Here's today's 3rd panel. 

The AF15 is just the background I'm using.

Note:  Winners may select the next Artist, Series, Character, era, combination, etc.; as long as it isn't too specific.  Please specify with your answer.

Hint:  Stu has selected "Something cosmic." 

NT1jRCV.jpg

We have a ^^.

Jimmers got it.  Link

Epic Illustrated #1

OeKHWM5.jpg

Jimmers has selected "Something Solomon Grundy."

Here's today's 4th panel. 

Hint:  Jimmers has selected "Something Solomon Grundy."

do0GvPy.jpg