• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

So, I've been told to 'Shelter-In-Place' along with 7 million other people of the Bay Area.  :)

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-takes-unprecedented-action-issuing-legal-order-for-residents-to-stay-at-home

I think this is a great idea, and I have a feeling other communities will be following suit very quickly.  Many of you are probably in a similar situation, and my hope is that all of you stay safe and healthy through this crisis.

In any case, I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands.  lol 

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

So, I've been told to 'Shelter-In-Place' along with 7 million other people of the Bay Area.  :)

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-takes-unprecedented-action-issuing-legal-order-for-residents-to-stay-at-home

I think this is a great idea, and I have a feeling other communities will be following suit very quickly.  Many of you are probably in a similar situation, and my hope is that all of you stay safe and healthy through this crisis.

Pardon me asking, but "shelter in place?" that hasn't been instituted here in Dallas yet, but does that mean I do indeed need to stock up on food?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Pardon me asking, but "shelter in place?" that hasn't been instituted here in Dallas yet, but does that mean I do indeed need to stock up on food?

ah thanks for the link :foryou: I'll still be able to get out to buy food and things, Thank You! ^^ 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

We're allowed to go outside for essential activities, such as grocery shopping.  But the grocery stores here have been ravaged - almost completely bare because of the hoarders.  Hopefully, that changes in the next few days.  :wishluck:  

I don't know how things are in Dallas, but I would think that making sure you have food for a week or two (without hoarding) would not be a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

But the grocery stores here have been ravaged - almost completely bare because of the hoarders.  Hopefully, that changes in the next few days

It wasn’t bad at all here in my area of northern England until this Monday. I usually go to the supermarket when it opens at 7am, and for the first time there was obvious panicking and the expected items stripped from shelves. Still doable for about an hour with regard to social avoidance, but at around 8am it became a little bit too brutal to remain.

Still possible to do my usual shop within the limited timeframe, albeit with a bit of flexibility around some products, but there was little sense being shown by the herd.  For example, long-life milk six-packs gone, but individual cartons available nearby that work out over £1 cheaper for 6. 

Being autistic, I find the consistent calm and emptiness of the store ordinarily doable at this time of day, but it’s going to be a very difficult, somewhat feral and unpredictable excursion to need to undertake as is throughout the next few weeks.

Nice to see you back.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It wasn’t bad at all here in my area of northern England until this Monday. I usually go to the supermarket when it opens at 7am, and for the first time there was obvious panicking and the expected items stripped from shelves. Still doable for about an hour with regard to social avoidance, but at around 8am it became a little bit too brutal to remain.

Still possible to do my usual shop within the limited timeframe, albeit with a bit of flexibility around some products, but there was little sense being shown by the herd.  For example, long-life milk six-packs gone, but individual cartons available nearby that work out over £1 cheaper for 6. 

Being autistic, I find the consistent calm and emptiness of the store ordinarily doable at this time of day, but it’s going to be a very difficult, somewhat feral and unpredictable excursion to need to undertake as is throughout the next few weeks.

Nice to see you back.

I'm the same way, I don't like crowds so I get there as early as possible to avoid them. 

On Sunday morning, I tried 'Smart & Final,' but they were out of everything - the whole store was picked over from the day before, and there was a sign on the door that said "Limit of 2 packages of meat or chicken per person."  I then tried 'Trader Joe's, but they didn't open up for an hour and there was already a line of people about 100 meters long waiting to get in.  So I chickened out (no pun intended) and went home.

Monday morning I hit 'Safeway' as soon as they opened.  They were crowded, but not too bad.  The store was stocked pretty well except for meat and fowl (which was completely gone), and I had no problem finding a good selection of frozen entrees.  My guess is that as soon as everyone's freezers are full the meat and chicken will become available again.

A lot of people around here are using 'Online Shopping/Delivery.'  So far I haven't heard any complaints, so that might be the way to go if it's offered in your area.  I might give it a try.