• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

And the Truth Shall Set You Free...

After years of calibrating myself to movie ratings, I've found that the IMDB rating system can be a useful tool. There are exceptions. For example: animated films score much higher than live action films, and I have to take that into account; pure science fiction tends to go the other way; etc; etc.

This is entirely subjective, but I've found the following to be true in most cases where I'm interested in the subject matter:

8.5 and above: I'll probably like it a lot, and will probably watch in a theater.

8.0 to 8.4: I'll probably like it a lot, and could be worthy of going to a theater.

7.5 to 7.9: I'll probably like it, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox.

7.0 to 7.4: I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox.

6.5 to 6.9: Probably not worth my time.

lower than 6.5: Won't waste my time - ever.

So, after seeing boardies whose opinion I respect vary from 4.0 to 8.0ish, I decided to take a look at Batman Vs Superman's ratings in detail. Here's a snapshot of today's ratings:

cE5SfEr.png

0lElqpw.png

I'm interested in the raw data to see if it will trend higher or lower with time, so I dig deeper.

BVR88pb.png

Oh man. :facepalm:

Whenever you do statistical analysis, a data pattern such as this is a clear indication that something is wrong with the measurements, or the measurement method. In this case, it's pretty easy to see that the fan boys have tried to move the score upwards. I'd be curious to see what percentage of that 31.2% of the total even saw the movie before voting. lol

No problem. I'll take the raw data and apply a normal (bell) curve to it, eliminating the bad data at 10 and 1. I could apply a more sophisticated statistical approach, but this is good enough to cut the mustard. (snicker).

6yxcjIL.png

Done. So, it looks like the movie will trend toward a 7.1 on the IMDB scale over time, as the percentage of agenda-driven votes becomes a smaller and smaller component of the sample population.

This also correlates nicely with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience score for those voting a 7.0 or higher on a 10 point scale (70% versus 72%), and an absolute score of 7.2 on a 10 point scale.

So there you have it:

"I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox."

And this movie is probably in the same league as Blade and Thor: The Dark World, but slightly worse than Man of Steel.

n5mNjKZ.png

:popcorn:

Tpx0Enx.png

:acclaim:

:popcorn:

I watched this last night.

Professor Martin Rees discusses the modern search for extra-terrestrials, and the theory that our idea of alien life is all wrong: that it's not organic life we should look for out there, but machines.

I thought the thesis would be that probes and other machines are much easier to deploy in interstellar flight because of time, distance, and life support issues. I was all jazzed to watch this.

Nope. The premise was that Skynet is likely for all intelligent life form with technology. :facepalm:

The BBC is becoming like the History Channel.

Edited for content at moderator's request (non CGC graded book)

Edited by CopperAgeKids (02/14/15 11:40 PM)

Sounds like he didn't know.

Probably not, although he should have read the rules. He also posted this on 1/25, which is an eBay ad for two CBCS books, so it's not the first time he's done it.

Quite frankly, I'd have given him a strike just for listing a book on eBay with such crappy photos. lol I friggin hate that.

hm

I hadn't seen this new case label prior to today.

wdYqj7c.jpg

Grade Date: Today hm

Certification #: 0287791001

Title: All Star Comics

Issue: 8

Issue Date: 12/41-1/42

Issue Year: 1942

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Pedigree: FRONT COVER ONLY

Page Quality: WHITE

Grade Date: 05/17/2016

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Gardner Fox & William Marston stories

Burnley, Moldoff, Baily & Peter art

Everett E. Hibbard cover & art

Key Comments: Origin & 1st appearance of Wonder Woman.

Starman & Doctor Mid-Nite join JSA.

Green Lantern becomes Honorary Member.

Yet on eBay here .

That's some fast TAT! :D

it's possible they received the book (at CGC) prior to the grade date and that the submitter requested scans of the book once it was graded. The book could be in route.

Not apologizing for CGC, or standing up for the seller, just offering an alternative point of view.

Please don't hit the mod button on me.

it's possible they received the book (at CGC) prior to the grade date and that the submitter requested scans of the book once it was graded. The book could be in route.

"En route"

:whistle:

Not apologizing for CGC, or standing up for the seller, just offering an alternative point of view.

That sounds like a request to me....

But the ad says he can get the book to me in 4 days, and that the case is in "excellent shape."

If he didn't have the book in hand yet, he couldn't make either claim.

Oh...and don't be upset...just like most people here, I hump the button on ANYONE who disagrees with me. It's a board tradition. :grin: