• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2017 at 12:49 AM, SC22 said:

Seems like almost every single SA key are duds right now.

This is happening in a lot of 1950/60s memorabilia as 1980s and 1990s has exploded in prices.

1950/60s audience is slowing down do to age, while 1980s and 1990s audience is just starting to ramp up with disposable income, hence Jurassic Park, Pokemon,Transformers, vintage Nintendo and X-Files stuff is much hotter than Dark Shadows,Man from Uncle,Wild Wild West and Honeymooners stuff.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It reminds me of on how a few years ago FF#1 would have been a great snag right after the FF reboot bombed,while now it is getting  second life because Disney bought back FF`s movie rights.

Yep I completely agree. Other books such as SA keys (ASM 1, X-Men 1, SC 22) and  IH 181 have spiked up out of nowhere. Could possibly go the same way for B&B 28, but I treat this book like an Avengers 1 where it is not the 1st app of any of the team members, so it makes me believe that a huge spike like the former books I mentioned will probably not happen.

But if you're a pure collector, than seems like a good time to buy . 

18 hours ago, kimik said:

Nice snag. I think that we will see a bottoming out on this book soon if we are not seeing it already.

I'm in complete agreement with you. Better to buy than to sell right now.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, JLA Brad said:

I'm in complete agreement with you. Better to buy than to sell right now.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:48 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yep I completely agree. Other books such as SA keys (ASM 1, X-Men 1, SC 22) and  IH 181 have spiked up out of nowhere. Could possibly go the same way for B&B 28, but I treat this book like an Avengers 1 where it is not the 1st app of any of the team members, so it makes me believe that a huge spike like the former books I mentioned will probably not happen.

I really hope that BB28 is decreasing in value right now - I really want a nice low grade copy (CGC 1.0-2.5) and it would be nice to be able to afford one again (as the prices really spiked about a year or so ago) :)  I love this book - and personally think it is a top 3 Silver Age DC key (along with SC4, SC22 and BB28).

Interesting. The Heritage CGC 6.0 with a bad wrap/miscut cover, staining, chipping, and it looks like originally Cream to Light Tan pages from the description (changed to CR-OW in the new slab holder) sold for $8365. This is on the heels of a CGC 6.5 sale at $11,008 in March. Coupled with the $215K final price on the JLA #1 CGC 9.6, it looks like the post-movie tanking may be done on this book.

the DCEU seems to be having a pretty wide identity crisis on the big screen and it's created a ton of drag on a lot of the keys, including BB28. These heroes don't seem to be having much fun and I don't think anyone has a good idea what to do with the Superman character going forward.  

On 5/12/2018 at 12:09 AM, atomised said:

the DCEU seems to be having a pretty wide identity crisis on the big screen and it's created a ton of drag on a lot of the keys, including BB28. These heroes don't seem to be having much fun and I don't think anyone has a good idea what to do with the Superman character going forward.  

100 percent agree with drag.

Seems like the Hollywood hype ship has sailed for a good portion of silver age DC characters.

Marvel took their characters to new heights with the movies,while DC did the opposite.

I would expect Flash to slump as well as the shows ratings continue to drag.

Safe bets are Marvel's.

This book was on my want list from about 2013 until last year.

What I noticed is the run up on it seemed to be leveraged on the success of the DC universe, as well as when people would offer a copy they would always build in the "potential" into the price. I was specifically looking for a 5.0. Going into 2015 there was a justifiable bump but every issue was being offered above GPA and just seemed a little stout. In reference I bought 3 Copies of ASM 1 at market or even below during that time that out gained BB28 by miles, A 5.0 Specifically on ASM 1, where I paid less than GPA in 2014 that I just let go in a package at three times the purchase price.  Granted the ASM was purchased for my collection at the time and the multiples were bought with future trade/sale in mind as they were good buys. I guess the long winded point here was I never could land a single issue of BB28 for my personal collection due to the investment potential everyone was expecting. Now I plan on continuing to sit back and see when or if this book will continue to slide down to a price I am more comfortable with.

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

This book was on my want list from about 2013 until last year.

What I noticed is the run up on it seemed to be leveraged on the success of the DC universe, as well as when people would offer a copy they would always build in the "potential" into the price. I was specifically looking for a 5.0. Going into 2015 there was a justifiable bump but every issue was being offered above GPA and just seemed a little stout. In reference I bought 3 Copies of ASM 1 at market or even below during that time that out gained BB28 by miles, A 5.0 Specifically on ASM 1, where I paid less than GPA in 2014 that I just let go in a package at three times the purchase price.  Granted the ASM was purchased for my collection at the time and the multiples were bought with future trade/sale in mind as they were good buys. I guess the long winded point here was I never could land a single issue of BB28 for my personal collection due to the investment potential everyone was expecting. Now I plan on continuing to sit back and see when or if this book will continue to slide down to a price I am more comfortable with.

Now ASM is enjoying a strong run of speculative pricing. With 1st appearances but minor characters such as Kraven and Mysterio growing exponentially.

The ebbs and flows are always interesting!

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

SC4 already looks to be happening

Perhaps a mild pull back. The SC4 5.0 did okay for 26.8K at CC.  Brave and the Bold 28 is like an Avengers 1 with no major single first appearance of a character, just a team. I believe Roy sold a SC4 6.5 at around 69K not long ago. 

The DC SA keys will see another run in a couple of years as the cycle between Marvel and DC keys continues. Right now it is the Marvel keys that are spiking while DC SAs languish (except for the Batman keys as they seem to be holding and/or rising). The time to accumulate them was a year or two ago. (thumbsu 

Now that the cycle is turning, we should see a good time to buy DC SA keys next year while Marvel SA keys continue to run. 

On 4/20/2018 at 4:48 PM, Dark Knight said:

On 9/1/2018 at 11:05 PM, Howling Mad said:

Now ASM is enjoying a strong run of speculative pricing. With 1st appearances but minor characters such as Kraven and Mysterio growing exponentially.

The ebbs and flows are always interesting!

Speaking of ASM and first appearances of teams, Asm Annual 1 seems to be taking off...