• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think, even with a movie coming out in a week or two, that B&B prices is on a downward trend from earlier this year and especially last year.  Would prove that a lot of key books have no impact on movies whatsoever.

I put this book with Avengers 1 - great book with great characters but not 1 single 1st appearance of any character - just 1st appearances of 2 super groups. I think today, much of the market is driven by 1st appearances of characters and less so by groups (GS XMEN 1 has both so that's another story).

With both Heritage and Comiclink both offering up a 9.0 of this book either currently (HA) or within a week and a half (CL), I would tend to think that people think this is the time to feed off of the movie hype.  However, it is unfortunate that both are up for auction at roughly the same time - this will keep the prices down on both.  We've already seen that the book in 9.0 couldn't top the reserve on Pedigree's auction (what was it? $80K or so?).  Seems like everything is in place for the auctions for both HA and CL to underwhelm and a couple of people can probably secure a copy in 9.0 at what is going to be a pretty good bargain if held for a few more years (maybe even less).

I'm certainly glad I'm not selling mine right now - seems like a buyer's market for sure.

3 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

We've already seen that the book in 9.0 couldn't top the reserve on Pedigree's auction (what was it? $80K or so?). 

I don't think I'd ever use a Pedigree auction as a barometer of the market, whether the price is high or low.

5 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

We've already seen that the book in 9.0 couldn't top the reserve on Pedigree's auction (what was it? $80K or so?).  Seems like everything is in place for the auctions for both HA and CL to underwhelm and a couple of people can probably secure a copy in 9.0 at what is going to be a pretty good bargain if held for a few more years (maybe even less).

I'm certainly glad I'm not selling mine right now - seems like a buyer's market for sure.

In reference to the Pedigree 9.0, Doug paid a really aggressive price for it and had to put it in auction with a reserve. While it's a nice copy, I just don't think it is a strong 9.0 . I think the 80+K bid was a good offer, a fair price for this book. Now, he's moved it to Heritage. We'll see what happens. I wouldn't judge the marketplace on this specific book.  

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In reference to the Pedigree 9.0, Doug paid a really aggressive price for it and had to put it in auction with a reserve. While it's a nice copy, I just don't think it is a strong 9.0 . I think the 80+K bid was a good offer, a fair price for this book. Now, he's moved it to Heritage. We'll see what happens. I wouldn't judge the marketplace on this specific book.  

So, what are your thoughts?  Does it hammer for about the same price at Heritage?  You'd have to figure that the Comiclink copy will impact the price somewhat.

32 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:

So, what are your thoughts?  Does it hammer for about the same price at Heritage?  You'd have to figure that the Comiclink copy will impact the price somewhat.

I'd like to see it do well but I don't think Doug will recoup his money. His purchase is in GPA @ 108K . I don't think it will go that high. Because it's Heritage, with a deep pocket clientele, it may hit 100K . The trouble is if it doesn't hit 100K now, with the movie excitement, it may never hit it.  

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The 9.0 on Comiclink is doing well. 65K with over 8 days left. It really is a good looking copy, very fresh looking, nice page quality, strong cover colors. Very deserving of a 9.0 .

I've got to agree - when you compare it to the one from Heritage, it appears to have many less flaws.  The question is if it will hammer higher than the last one based on its better appearance.

22 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Any chance that BB28 is a book right now that is simply more in demand in say 8.0 and lower?

Quite honestly, I don't know if it is really in THAT much demand.  It feels like people think it should be in demand, that it should be worth more, but it isn't? 

4 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

Quite honestly, I don't know if it is really in THAT much demand.  It feels like people think it should be in demand, that it should be worth more, but it isn't? 

I concur. If it doesn't spike now, with the movie, it may never spike. First off, let's face it, Marvel has a much more fanatical base of fans. Also, the book does not have any first appearances. It's analogous to Avengers #1, which never really took off either. It's still a cool book to have.  

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The price for this book will move if the lone 9.6 ever sells.

Asking price for that one is currently at $900K IIRC.

If that is the asking price, it is going to be asked for another 50 years.  Completely unrealistic - a lone 9.8 wouldn't even come close to commanding that.  It's not Marvel...or the first Superman or Batman - expectations need to be tempered.

7 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:
21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The price for this book will move if the lone 9.6 ever sells.

Asking price for that one is currently at $900K IIRC.

If that is the asking price, it is going to be asked for another 50 years.  Completely unrealistic - a lone 9.8 wouldn't even come close to commanding that.  It's not Marvel...or the first Superman or Batman - expectations need to be tempered.

Owner doesn't care if it sells or not.

And if someone wants it, that's the price unfortunately.