• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

IMO, BB28 is the most difficult Silver Age key to find in high grade.

I think it`s relatively easy, actually.

I think B&B 29 & 30, Showcase 8, 13, 14, 17 & 22 are harder.

Just for sh*ts and giggles: link us up some of the easy to find B&B 28s in higher grade. I know there's an 8 out there.....and some 6-7s. But they are all few and far between. Try to compare that to the voluminous list of higher grade Avengers 1s. I'll have to respectfully disagree that it's easy to find a bunch of high grade B&B 28s.

RELATIVELY easy. :gossip:

It`s all relative. I would say that more B&B 28s in 9.0 and above have come up for sale in the last 10 years much more often than the other books I`ve listed, except for Showcase 22 and that`s a recent phenomenon.

Also, my comment about being relatively easy was in relation to DCs. Marvels are a different planet. There`s no such thing as a scarce SA Marvel, particularly one as late as Avengers 1.

I agree with tth2 on all points, plus I'd add Showcase 23 - 29 and Brave & the Bold 31-33 to the list of comics from the same time period that are tougher to find than Brave & the Bold 28.

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

I've got a killer copy with gorgeous paper if I can get the micro dot of color touch removed near the lower staple. :insane:

Sweet copy!

Edited to add: I meant to "Sweet copy" peewee22's copy, not the color touch copy -- which may also be sweet! :D

Edited by Sqeggs

I've got a killer copy with gorgeous paper if I can get the micro dot of color touch removed near the lower staple. :insane:

This might be where the new marriage of Classics and CGC can excel, removing minor restorations, ensuring it is done thoroughly enough to get a blue-label. I went through a resub after having resto removed a while back, and it still came back with a PLOD. With it being done in-house, per se, I'm sure they'd have to ensure it was successful if you're paying them to have it removed. Just a (stray) though.

Actually, I think it was around for a while before it sold hm

I thought maybe you bought it :baiting:

:)

I'm only authorized to give my name, rank and serial number if captured Bob-a-loo. You can beat and torture me, but I'll never crack.

I heard stories from some dealers in San Diego at the comic con in the early 90's that this book has been hoarded by some collectors for years.

It doesnt show up often in nice shape, but it isnt rare either. Like a lot of DC's there could be many nice copies in private collections that have never been slabbed.

Actually, I think it was around for a while before it sold hm

I thought maybe you bought it :baiting:

:)

I'm only authorized to give my name, rank and serial number if captured Bob-a-loo. You can beat and torture me, but I'll never crack.

:signfunny:

This might be where the new marriage of Classics and CGC can excel, removing minor restorations, ensuring it is done thoroughly enough to get a blue-label. I went through a resub after having resto removed a while back, and it still came back with a PLOD. With it being done in-house, per se, I'm sure they'd have to ensure it was successful if you're paying them to have it removed. Just a (stray) though.

Maybe, but I wonder. What happens if it turns out that after multiple attempts (assuming they will actually make more than one attempt), they can't get rid of the resto thoroughly enough to get a blue label. Do they refund your money or are you stuck? hm

Maybe, but I wonder. What happens if it turns out that after multiple attempts (assuming they will actually make more than one attempt), they can't get rid of the resto thoroughly enough to get a blue label. Do they refund your money or are you stuck? hm

Maybe, but now when it happens you have shipping charges on top of it,

back and forth between CGC and CI - soon it'll just be a trip down the hall.

This could be a perfect test for the "new arrangement".

I heard stories from some dealers in San Diego at the comic con in the early 90's that this book has been hoarded by some collectors for years.

It doesnt show up often in nice shape, but it isnt rare either. Like a lot of DC's there could be many nice copies in private collections that have never been slabbed.

I'm still hoping warehouse finds of these and other DC titles from the fifties to the early sixties remain to be discovered!

:headbang:

Maybe, but now when it happens you have shipping charges on top of it,

back and forth between CGC and CI - soon it'll just be a trip down the hall.

This could be a perfect test for the "new arrangement".

(thumbs u

BB28 in high grade is MUCH rarer than AF15 or FF1......but similar to Showcase 22. It's the DC versus Marvel thing (DC books are a couple years older and far more rare than their marvel counterparts)

I think this sentiment best expresses my own beliefs when I first started this thread. Alot of folks have been rabidly collecting earlier marvels...while for a myriad of reasons the earlier DCs have been less sought after. I think that trend is going to change with the advent of more interest in DC, be it upcoming movies or whatever else may catalyze increased desirability.

I also personally feel that in spite of there obviously being additional older DCs in better condition than the census reveals (unslabbed), that there aren't nearly as many compared to Marvel overall. It would make sense that at least this particular title and issue would have been recognized as a significant key and therefore slabbed in greater numbers over the years. I think there may be a few folks out there will real high grade raw gems, but I don't think there are a ton of 9.0 or higher waiting to be found. Anyone could be wrong of course, but when you just look at the census data and then look at how many higher grades you see floating around currently and/or recently.....one gains the sense this might be a tad bit rarer than one would cite at first blush.

Some new-ish news about the upcoming supes movie and it's possible lead into the JLA:

Presumably sometime before Zack Snyder's Man of Steel premieres on June 14 next year, we'll know a few more details about Justice League. But that movie could drop all kinds of hints about where Warner Bros. is going with their superhero team-up film, with a potential appearance from a Nick Fury-style character to link all the superheroes together, or a hint at who the villain might be in the team-up film. But now Snyder is suggesting that we might get the answer to something much more basic: who's playing Superman? Talking in the vaguest terms to The New York Post, Snyder swore up and down he didn't know how Justice League would be handled, but that "they trust me to keep them on course" for that movie.

Why bother reading anything into that? Because it wasn't that long ago that Snyder said his Superman would be separate for the one seen in Man of Steel, that "what they'll do with Justice League will be its own thing with its own Batman and own Superman." That was back in March of 2011, well before the gears got turning again on Justice League last June, and while Snyder was still in the middle of production on Man of Steel. Now, with Man of Steel coming just two years before the planned release of Justice League, it's seemingly increasingly impossible that they won't use the Superman movie to set up Justice League-- and Snyder now seems to be acknowledging that, yes, Henry Cavill will be straddling franchises after all.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Zack-Snyder-Suggests-Man-Steel-Lead-Directly-Justice-League-34258.html

He got into the talk of Justice League and if he’d come back for a sequel. Here’s what Snyder said about the latter:

I don’t know how ‘Justice League’ is going to be handled. Honestly, I don’t. “But ‘The Man of Steel’ exists, and Superman is in it. I don’t know how you’d move forward without acknowledging that.

Finally, the question if Warner Bros. asked him to place Man of Steel in a large universe:

Um, how can I answer that? I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.

http://www.slashfilm.com/man-of-steel-keeps-warner-bros-on-course-for-justice-league/

Methinks it portends good things. :)

More JLA 'movie' news relating to B&B:

...the villain in Justice League will be Darkseid.

One of, if not the, most powerful villain in the DC Universe, Darkseid is an immortal, invulnerable, pretty-much all-powerful God who has been causing trouble for Superman and others for decades.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-the-villain-of-justice-league-has-been-revealed/

how exciting for non comics fans. outer space madman/diety wages war on Earth. Wasnt that what Avengers 1 was all about setting it up for Avengers 2?

That's the general consensus amongst folks so far. Legitimately however, I can't think of another villan that could be more compelling. Rumor has it that there should be some sort of Marvelesque teasers in both the upcoming Supes movie and the upcoming Lobo movie relating to Darkseid. There's also supposedly some teaser info. pertaining to rebooted Batman.....hence WB is attempting to sew together the mythologies across productions. Honestly it appears to be alot of hurried attempts to pull off what Marvel already did, but then again it may work because people responded in an overall positive way to that formula. Some additional spoiler info. suggests that Ryan Reynolds will reprise his role as GL in the JLA movie with a sequel contingent upon how that goes.

And as much as I'm anathema to state it, there's talk about using the "robin" character from the last Batman movie as a 2nd year fledgeling Batman in the JLA.

I for one can't live with that if it happens....Bruce Wayne is Batman and is a quintessential character. "Tim Drake" is not Batman and I couldn't stomach them attempting to cram that nuttiness into the JLA.

For now it's all rumor and conjection, but it's interesting to see what shape things will eventually take.

yes. but St 110 sells for a lot less than its first appearance cousins. And not only due to Doc's lesser tier status. But together, they keep the value down.

then again, ST 110 is a good spec bet. sooner or later hell be in the Marvel Films lineup, and its still cheap.

I hope so. :wishluck:

ST110-1.jpg