• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

So they are practically printed the same way now, just fast presses, cheaper plates, etc etc.

Even comics, printed almost as cheaply as possible are mostly very well printed items. What they lack, and why we think of them as shoddy, is there was no budget for quality control. They set the presses, got up to ink strength, and let them run... And only a major Fukkup that would require a reprint by an angry client would stop the presses.

Two excellant points.

I'd add that paper and ink quality has changed since then and Marvel's choice of paper and ink in the early 60's is the main reason that they are hard to find in high grade. Marvel chipping, smudging, cracking inks, etc.

Yes. But paper has been perfected for a thousand years. I don't think science has changed it that much in the last 50 years, especially in the cheaper end of the spectrum, like the newsprint, and thin cover stock which comics use. However, Some of the thicker card stocks used for high end packaging (perfumes and cosmetics, Apple packaging etc) may now include fantastic mixes of plastic and or clays etc which do qualify as technologically innovative.

I can't remember the reason comics went to Mando paper... Which was sold to us as a revolutionary breakthrough, But I'm pretty sure it was because it was very cheap while still able to handle the higher dot screens that comics switched to for a wider palette of color combinations that were competitively necessary at that point. Ink hitting common newsprint tends to bleed a bit which cuts down sharpness and therefore can't handle the tighter line screens like 150 or 175 used in high end coffee table picture books.

For comparison, newspapers were printed at only 65 dots per inch well through the 80s. They would reject any ads sent to them any tighter . Today they print regularly in color and allow 85 or 100 lines per inch. Again, competitive pressures forced the mainstream newspapers to upgrade to color (USA Today was a major innovator that propelled the industry forward. But realizing that they could charge MORE for color ads also helped ease the transition and softened the blow of refitting their printing plants with four color presses.

A client choosing a cheaper paper stock on a huge web press run like a comic book or magazine can save MANY thousands of dollars.

Not repleshing ink or making new plates during the run would do the same. These were ment to be read and thrown away...

I was recently given a current MAD magazine and was shocked how thin the paper stock was. Amazing it would hold a dot considering it is now a 4 color magazine.

A client choosing a cheaper paper stock on a huge web press run like a comic book or magazine can save MANY thousands of dollars.

Not replenishing ink or making new plates during the run would do the same. These were ment to be read and thrown away...

I was recently given a current MAD magazine and was shocked how thin the paper stock was. Amazing it would hold a dot considering it is now a 4 color magazine.

Comics were printed on flexograph presses, web size was small. 10 or 12 inches or so. Plates don't cost much, we use 66 inch plates and they run around a $100 a plate. Need 8 of them though, 4 colors, top and bottom. You have to replenish the ink cause the ink fountain doesn't hold enough ink for the entire job.

On 12/11/2016 at 1:27 PM, Robot Man said:

Not repleshing ink or making new plates during the run would do the same. These were ment to be read and thrown away...

Of course they replenished ink back then...think they just filled up the ink fountain once and let it run out but yet keep the press running?  Of course not.  Same with the plates, if the plate cracked, they changed it. Where are these comic guys getting their printing info from?  Making it up in their heads?  

The CGC 5.5 Conserved (Restored) copy went for more than I expected it to on Heritage tonight. Final price with the juice was $4541:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-conserved-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/121722-14318.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by kimik

13 hours ago, kimik said:

The CGC 5.5 Conserved (Restored) copy went for more than I expected it to on Heritage tonight. Final price with the juice was $4541:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-conserved-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/121722-14318.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That seems really high!