• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

The movie didn't hit it out of the park didn't help BB28. The book still doing well if you bought 5 years+ ago.

It's unfortunate that in comics, a market is now decided by how well a movie does.

It shows that it's a fickle market.

20 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's unfortunate that in comics, a market is now decided by how well a movie does.

It shows that it's a fickle market.

Somewhat true, for the market can go in cycle or shift.  If you read my last quote to DarkKnight:

True, but if you bought any big keys before 2008 you are doing just fine. An example, if you bought a SC22 in 2010-2012, you were under performing not until the later of 2015 . But again, the market is so "first appearance" driven now, so group of characters forming a team; such, as Avengers 1 or BB28 doesn't have the appeal as it use to. On the other hand, Fantastic Four 1 and X-men 1 contains many first appearances which out shines Avengers 1 or BB28. Another example would be X-Men 94 which lost a lot of luster to Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Hulk 181. 

Edited by showcase22gr1959

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Somewhat true, for the market can go in cycle or shift.  If you read my last quote to DarkKnight:

True, but if you bought any big keys before 2008 you are doing just fine. An example, if you bought a SC22 in 2010-2012, you were under performing not until the later of 2015 . But again, the market is so "first appearance" driven now, so group of characters forming a team; such, as Avengers 1 or BB28 doesn't have the appeal as it use to. On the other hand, Fantastic Four 1 and X-men 1 contains many first appearances which out shines Avengers 1 or BB28. Another example would be X-Men 94 which lost a lot of luster to Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Hulk 181. 

I see the appeal of X-Men 94 and GSX-M 1, but I really feel like they're lame ducks. IH181, and even IH180, continue to impress though.

3 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

I see the appeal of X-Men 94 and GSX-M 1, but I really feel like they're lame ducks. IH181, and even IH180, continue to impress though.

They are a bit of an unfair comparison.

Hulk #180 and 181 are impressive because they are the hottest BA books on the planet have have been for over a decade.

But that doesn't diminish GSX #1 or X-men #94 (With GSX #1 being the 3rd appearance of Wolverine IIRC)

14 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Lame ducks to the omnipresent speculators and re-sellers. 

Giant-Size X-Men 1, X-Men 94, and Hulk 181 are the quintessential Bronze Age Marvel keys. The history of the Marvel Age of Comics that continued after the Silver Age or I should say, the Mutant Age of Comics, begins with the new X-Men team and its key member, the anti-hero Wolverine. Wolverine is one of the 20th Century's greatest and most popular comic book creations- on the same level with the iconic creations of the Silver Age, Spiderman, and Golden Age, Superman and Batman. However, unlike his comic book iconic predecessors, Wolverine owes much of his early success to the part he had in the Bronze Age X-Men comic book. The Summer of '75 was a critical moment in the history of the X-Men and Wolverine and is the reason why these Bronze Age Marvel Comics Triple Crown keys owe one another for their historic achievement. What follows is an incredible era that defines Marvel Comics and the history of the comic book. The problem today is that the forces driving the comic book market aren't primarily based on the history of the medium. We hear and read about how the "movie needs to be a hit in order for the book to increase in value" or "Disney bought the rights to the Fantastic Four so grab those FF 48s because they are going to skyrocket." Lesser informed, uninformed, or even misinformed collectors and investors follow the hype, and in so many cases, overpay for books.

The current era of speculation (check this out: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2018/03/04/mint-mickey-mantle-baseball-card-poised-to-break-3-12-million-honus-wagner-record/#4a9fe60c18b2) in so many areas of collecting will succeed in superficially defining collectibles and this is also true when it comes to how a comic book's real significance is defined. In the end, the place a comic book has in the history of the medium is what matters most and what happened during the Summer of '75 cannot be underscored nor put aside for a moment of speculation or an attempt by someone to resell a book (examples of which go on around here) to make even more money.   

Best,

john

Edited by bronze johnny

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Lame ducks to the omnipresent speculators and re-sellers. 

Giant-Size X-Men 1, X-Men 94, and Hulk 181 are the quintessential Bronze Age Marvel keys. The history of the Marvel Age of Comics that continued after the Silver Age or I should say, the Mutant Age of Comics, begins with the new X-Men team and its key member, the anti-hero Wolverine. Wolverine is one of the 20th Century's greatest and most popular comic book creations- on the same level with the iconic creations of the Silver Age, Spiderman, and Golden Age, Superman and Batman. However, unlike his comic book iconic predecessors, Wolverine owes much of his early success to the part he had in the Bronze Age X-Men comic book. The Summer of '75 was a critical moment in the history of the X-Men and Wolverine and is the reason why these Bronze Age Marvel Comics Triple Crown keys owe one another for their historic achievement. What follows is an incredible era that defines Marvel Comics and the history of the comic book. The problem today is that the forces driving the comic book market aren't primarily based on the history of the medium. We hear and read about how the "movie needs to be a hit in order for the book to increase in value" or "Disney bought the rights to the Fantastic Four so grab those FF 48s because they are going to skyrocket." Lesser informed, uninformed, or even misinformed collectors and investors follow the hype, and in so many cases, overpay for books.

The current era of speculation (check this out: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2018/03/04/mint-mickey-mantle-baseball-card-poised-to-break-3-12-million-honus-wagner-record/#4a9fe60c18b2) in so many areas of collecting will succeed in superficially defining collectibles and this is also true when it comes to how a comic book's real significance is defined. In the end, the place a comic book has in the history of the medium is what matters most and what happened during the Summer of '75 cannot be underscored nor put aside for a moment of speculation or an attempt by someone to resell a book (examples of which go on around here) to make even more money.   

Best,

john

You're absolutely right, no argument here. I was definitely looking from an investment standpoint--nothing else.

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

15 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

You're absolutely right, no argument here. I was definitely looking from an investment standpoint--nothing else.

My kids grew up around my comics. But because they never read them they just don't get it.

They talk about condition and value but they don't understand the love I've had towards comics all these years.

And again, it's because they did not grow up reading them.

To give an example, I find the non-key books just as interesting as the keys. In fact, among the John Byrne X-men run some of my favorite issues are the less valuable non-key books because they had story arcs that I bonded to.

A true non-collector won't understand that. The newer generations only see them as commodities (keys and not keys) and not a string of stories and only see disappointment when a book doesn't sell for more than the last one did.

It's an impossible expectation and yet most noobs embrace it.

And so when a really big book seems to diminish in price at auction there is disappointment in the over all market because these newest generations only want to see price increases year after year (that is the downfall of the entire corporate model in the West - if it's not growing it's dying) or it gets discarded.

And as soon as one copy doesn't do well there is panic and a sell off begins.

And yet, in being shortsighted they miss the fact that this particular book is still selling at 5-6 times what it was selling for a decade ago.

The new wave of investors and speculators in all markets (not just comics) are the reason for the volatility.

Unrealistic expectations and unrealistic price variations (up or down) create bubble markets and eventually that is not good for the market, whether it's a comic, a card or a car.

8 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Think long term..like 20-30 years from now, then try and buy a BB 28 3.5 for 2K  

16 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Sure, no disagreements here. Merely posting up the latest auction result given CL's recent result.

I understand but it doesn't mean the BB 28 sky is falling...it's a low grade copy and they are common, still a tough book in HG and highly sought after by any DC fan. I do agree with Kimik though, rather get a Hulk 181 for the same price point.  

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I understand but it doesn't mean the BB 28 sky is falling...it's a low grade copy and they are common, still a tough book in HG and highly sought after by any DC fan. I do agree with Kimik though, rather get a Hulk 181 for the same price point.  

However, if you are holding a HG BB28, I would recommend not sending it to auction right now.

8 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like now would be a great time to snag a copy for those who have been waiting. Who knows later on what the future holds on value, but it's pretty low/affordable now. 

It reminds me of on how a few years ago FF#1 would have been a great snag right after the FF reboot bombed,while now it is getting  second life because Disney bought back FF`s movie rights.