• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine Selling / Trading Thread ONLY
17 17

898 posts in this topic

I think I'm going to have to change my approach to mag collecting away from completing runs in favor of just ones I really like (yes I know we all like all of em!)

But they take up alot more space in my one bedroom Manhattan apartment than I anticipated, so I'm going to make a small stack of my favorites and probably either offer the rest as one collection or do a sale thread on the forum here (or both).

If anyone is interested in seeing them all as one collection before I start listing individually, let me know. It's not a ton, maybe 75 or 80 mags after I pull the ones I want to keep. Bulk made up  of Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella, Nightmare plus a handful of other Skywald stuff and random this and that. Lots of really nice copies.

I want to collect runs of all of them, but its overwhelming me as I keep chasing too much stuff.

I'm going to be back in NYC after this weekend to start scanning the ones I'll want to part with, but I have a spreadsheet and some scans already to show if anyone wants to see. 

6 hours ago, speedcake said:

I think I'm going to have to change my approach to mag collecting away from completing runs in favor of just ones I really like (yes I know we all like all of em!)

But they take up alot more space in my one bedroom Manhattan apartment than I anticipated, so I'm going to make a small stack of my favorites and probably either offer the rest as one collection or do a sale thread on the forum here (or both).

If anyone is interested in seeing them all as one collection before I start listing individually, let me know. It's not a ton, maybe 75 or 80 mags after I pull the ones I want to keep. Bulk made up  of Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella, Nightmare plus a handful of other Skywald stuff and random this and that. Lots of really nice copies.

I want to collect runs of all of them, but its overwhelming me as I keep chasing too much stuff.

I'm going to be back in NYC after this weekend to start scanning the ones I'll want to part with, but I have a spreadsheet and some scans already to show if anyone wants to see. 

What I want to know is how do you afford a Manhattan apartment?

14 hours ago, oakman29 said:

What I want to know is how do you afford a Manhattan apartment?

Man of Oak, I was thinking the same thing.  I almost replied to Charlie saying that the most impressive part of his post is that he has an apartment in Manhattan.  Good for him and his spouse!  (thumbsu

Still, space is always at a premium in NYC.  I get having to be a bit selective.  Heck, I have an entire bedroom in my house taken over by my collection and I feel a strong urge to purge sometimes.  Do I need 7 copies of Creepy 16?  I don't know, it's tough.  :insane:

Looking forward to the sale, @speedcake!! :headbang:

For anyone that hasn't purchased from Charlie, he's awesome.  Excellent grading and great packing!

On 1/1/2021 at 3:21 PM, speedcake said:

I am confused. What you are describing fits into a magazine box that you could keep in a closet or in a corner under a desk. I used to fit about 5,000-6,000 comics in a closet in my manhattan apartment and still had room for clothing (I had 11 foot ceilings, which helped).

8 hours ago, the blob said:

I am confused. What you are describing fits into a magazine box that you could keep in a closet or in a corner under a desk. I used to fit about 5,000-6,000 comics in a closet in my manhattan apartment and still had room for clothing (I had 11 foot ceilings, which helped).

I'm heading off the problem before it becomes one. I don't have an entire closet for my comics, but do have an ikea cabinet to organize the collection into and it's spilling over :(   I don't plan to work on full runs of the mags, so decided to go ahead and sell on the ones I'm ok parting with. I want to keep my entire magazine collection small enough to fit into one short box.

Just now, speedcake said:

I'm heading off the problem before it becomes one. I don't have an entire closet for my comics, but do have an ikea cabinet to organize the collection into and it's spilling over :(   I don't plan to work on full runs of the mags, so decided to go ahead and sell on the ones I'm ok parting with. I want to keep my entire magazine collection small enough to fit into one short box.

I was not allowed an entire closet either. My recollection is that I had the floor 3-4 deep with longies, and two or three high. Then I had my clothing hanging. And on the shelves above I somehow crammed I don't know how many boxes. 5-6,000 comics might be high. But I had some short boxes under a table in the foyer too that always had a table cloth over it so you couldn't see the boxes. My wife allowed me to keep a hoard, but it had to be out of sight. Anyway, buy what you enjoy. I could just never resist these late 60s - 70s/early 80s magazines at the right price.

24 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Ha, I am constantly battling my wife over the size of my collection. And I only have 18 or so short boxes! I'm going to continue buying mags, and comics!, and we are hopefully moving into a larger space this year so i might have more room.

I'm down to 5 CGC Boxes and 1 Long Box!