• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine Selling / Trading Thread ONLY
17 17

895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

ah looks like the original thread was pulled probably because the seller was missing pertinent selling details per board rules.  @wombat has the latest try above (thumbsu

I remember the days when the marketplace guidelines were for forum members to copy and paste a reminder to the OP for compliance if there was an issue.  It was a better time then.

Just posted this in the general sales thread announcement thread; thought I should pop it in here too:

Thinking of starting soon (tonight???) a men's adventure mags (aka "sweat mags") thread. I have 58 books planned; 7 holdovers from the first time I offered some of these, two Golden Age-era precursor mags (as these are largely a 60's phenomena) and 49 that will be new to the boards.

If you've been getting into pulps of late, as many around here seem to be, these are over the top in a pulps meets pre-code comics kind of way that has to be seen to be believed. Check it out even if you have no intention of getting into these. They are worth seeing, and most all are difficult to come by.

There's a great thread on the topic over in Magazines; much of it features the eye-popping collection of @Flex Mentallo As collections of men's adventure mags go, he once found the sweat mag equivalent of the Church collection, from the look of that thread. I'm far from the most knowledgeable boardie on these but I am learning and it is fun. Keep an eye peeled!

PS - I'm remiss for not mentioning @lbcolefan's great collection, also on display in that thread!

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

There's a great thread on the topic over in Magazines; much of it features the eye-popping collection of @Flex Mentallo As collections of men's adventure mags go, he once found the sweat mag equivalent of the Church collection, from the look of that thread. I'm far from the most knowledgeable boardie on these but I am learning and it is fun. Keep an eye peeled!

PS - I'm remiss for not mentioning @lbcolefan's great collection, also on display in that thread!

Sounds like a cool sales thread, Readcomix!

lbcolefan is the man! My collection is tiny compared to his! He has much of what I have but in way in better shape!

On the NAPA collection - the sweat mag equivalent of the Church collection was discovered behind a false wall by his wife sometime after he died, and was picked up by an American pulp dealer. I plundered a few tasty scraps left by bigger collectors. But I did draw attention to the comparison with Church, for what that's worth. You can wait a very long time for hi grade examples of these mags. Imagine if ol' Edgar had hidden his collection that way. [Shades of King Tut!]

Good luck with the sales!

14 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Sounds like a cool sales thread, Readcomix!

lbcolefan is the man! My collection is tiny compared to his! He has much of what I have but in way in better shape!

On the NAPA collection - the sweat mag equivalent of the Church collection was discovered behind a false wall by his wife sometime after he died, and was picked up by an American pulp dealer. I plundered a few tasty scraps left by bigger collectors. But I did draw attention to the comparison with Church, for what that's worth. You can wait a very long time for hi grade examples of these mags. Imagine if ol' Edgar had hidden his collection that way. [Shades of King Tut!]

Good luck with the sales!

Thank you Flex, and apologies to @lbcolefan for my confusion -- on reading what you two wrote earlier in the men's mags thread about your respective collections, I had thought you got a larger portion of the Napa collection, and I saw that lbcolefan said he got about 150 of 1,000 from that prominent ebay collection awhile back.

What's in my thread is nothing like those, but between my two passes at the seller I've got well over a hundred of them, most no worse than VG and  many in that FN range. Topping that is clearly tough with these. Would love to have you guys join the conversation in that thread; @Randall Dowling is chiming in, and there's buyers who seem to be taking up the genre and interested in learning. I'm keeping what I keep and sharing what's offered there, but most of all I love the experience of sharing info and knowledge of this unsung genre.

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you Flex, and apologies to @lbcolefan for my confusion -- on reading what you two wrote earlier in the men's mags thread about your respective collections, I had thought you got a larger portion of the Napa collection, and I saw that lbcolefan said he got about 150 of 1,000 from that prominent ebay collection awhile back.

What's in my thread is nothing like those, but between my two passes at the seller I've got well over a hundred of them, most no worse than VG and  many in that FN range. Topping that is clearly tough with these. Would love to have you guys join the conversation in that thread; @Randall Dowling is chiming in, and there's buyers who seem to be taking up the genre and interested in learning. I'm keeping what I keep and sharing what's offered there, but most of all I love the experience of sharing info and knowledge of this unsung genre.

They're very underrated, if you ask me.  @lbcolefan has a collection that probably skews people's perceptions about availability in high grade.  You can look for 10 years and never see a copy of some of these come up for sale in any condition, let alone the pristine quality of his books.  I've been contenting myself for a while just finding FN copies that present well and even that is incredibly tough to assemble runs.  Not at all like collecting Warrens, Skywalds, Eerie Pubs, and the rest where you can generally find copies, just tough in high grade.  (thumbsu

And the cover art on some of these books... :cloud9:

55 minutes ago, wombat said:

Huge collections of Creepy an Eerie being sold by @jsilverjanet

thanks @wombat, I wasn't aware of this thread.

I also have a nice run of Vampirella's on eBay 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124231333653?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649