• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Well this should cut down the waiting times.....

In house pressing and restoration creates a huge ethical vacuum - and doubts in peoples minds about their grades.

This changes everything.

Very interesting as a business proposition, in that now the question will inevitably be asked whether CGC gave a "home team" grade to a book which its sister company restored and/or pressed. This would seem to open the door to a legitimate competitor (i.e., not PGX) which did purely grading. Be interesting to see if someone sees that opportunity and pursues it.

As a matter of curiosity I did a very quick and superficial search to see whether Sotheby's or Christie's auction houses did restoration or conservation along with their appraisal and sales functions. If they do they're hiding it pretty well on their websites (like I said, I did not look very deeply). This would seem to indicate that a firm whose primary business is grading (and therefore implicitly offering opinions on value) might not be the best candidate to offer resto and conservation services.

Will be fascinating to see how this plays out in the marketplace over the coming years.

EDITED: Further looking around indicates that Sotheby's has a restoration division, so I appear wrong on that point. Still looking for more info.

Edited by Tropean

This brings back memories of all those old lighting rod threads. Too bad they have all been deleted!

I imagine this one is going to be a huge one. Quite a bombshell that goes past opinion - this is going to change they way they do business, and the way people do business with them. So it should be for a good read.

This thread will be 100 pages long by Sunday.

And so it should. I'm kinda waiting for the heavyweights to chime in. My little submit-20-books-a-year opinion doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. I'm interested to see what the real dealers think in how this is going to affect them, if at all.

This thread will be 100 pages long by Sunday.

And so it should. I'm kinda waiting for the heavyweights to chime in. My little submit-20-books-a-year opinion doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. I'm interested to see what the real dealers think in how this is going to affect them, if at all.

If history is any indication, there will be a 100-200 page uproar that will change absolutely nothing, then it'll be business as usual. Those who have the most to gain or lose aren't typically the most candid in these kinds of threads.

I will enjoy the ride.

I heard CGC is opening up an auction site... :gossip:

I hear they'll be outsourcing to China.

I honestly don't see anything negative happening to their business model. People will continue to pay a premium for CGC 9.8 books. As long as they do, people will continue to submit books (and press them too), and CGC will continue to be profitable.

They have been leaving money on the table for years and I know for sure they regreted not doing this sooner.

the pressing turnaround times will end up getting clogged too. horrible, horrible business decision IMO.

Although if they wanted to do some vertical integration that wouldn't ruin their public perception of independance, they should have integrated with some type of post slabbing framing service for CGC'd comics.