• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is the Copper Age? by Tnerb

8 posts in this topic

Or the newest set I want to complete.

Every comic age seems to have a transitional period between the new and the old. Without argument, it is safe to say the Golden Age of comics began with Action Comics #1 which introduces Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster's Superman.

The Silver Age also unarguably begins with Showcase Comics #4 in 1956 with a reinvigorated Flash, but the definitive end of the Golden Age was never mentioned. Did it fizzle out, maybe linger on beyond its time, or did the last page of Showcase Comics #3 state it was the end of an era?

Did Dr. Frederick Wertham have anything to do with it when his book "Seduction of the Innocent" was published in 1954? Did his influence start to wane in 1956 and finally end with the Marvel explosion of 62'/63'? Titles that were the namesake of the characters portrayed between the covers such as The Fantastic Four, Daredevil, the Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, and the X-Men were some of their biggest hits with the Writing/Art style using a variety mix of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Gene Colan, John Romita Sr. and Steve Ditko.

DC didn't want to be left out using titles like Green Lantern and Justice League of America, both starting with a number one (this is when #1's meant something). Action Comics, Superman, Batman, Detective Comics, and Brave and the Bold strengthened the Silver Age, but when did it end?

The above mentioned titles along with many more screamed into the next age of comics with the Bronze Age. It arrived this time arguably with Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 with the amazing cover and art talents of Neal Adams in April of 1970, others might wish to contribute the rise of the Bronze Age a few months later with The Incredible Hulk #181 and the introduction of "the" Wolverine. This was released in November of the same year.

Titles such as House of Secrets #92, Incredible Hulk #181, Star Wars #1 (.35 cent variant), and Giant Sized X-Men #1 are some of the most popular issues from this era. The age ends somewhere around 1979, which subsequently doesn't mean that the Copper Age begins in 1980.

With the other eras at least agreed upon by book or by year, the Copper Age is a bit more mystifying. No one can truly agree when the Bronze Age ends for my favorite era to begin. Some say 84', others a bit earlier and say 82'.

If the Golden and Silver Age both started with a particular book and the Bronze Age could be attributed to a choice of two. In the eighties Marvel started a deluxe format starting with a character that first appeared in X-Men #130. This character declined to stay with the team and in March Of 81' Dazzler stared in her own series.

The Deluxe format also was the beginning of publishers supporting comic book shops. In 82' Marvel started their Graphic Novel series with "The Death of Captain Marvel" Jim Starlin revolutionized the comic book format with the death of a major character by a disease inflicting millions rather than a super villain.

84' just seems to far away from the end of the Bronze Age to be the beginning of anything. Of course this leaves the question if the Copper age does begin with the first deluxe format book published by Marvel, then when does it end?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

12451.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Tnerb, you are spot on with the Golden, Silver and Bronze Age beginnings, but one thing I must point out. Incredible Hulk #181 did not get published until Nov of 1974. The other book that you may be referring to is Conan the Barbarian #1 published in Oct 1970, with Marvel's purchase/publication of the Robert E. Howard original concept, they in turn changed the way we viewed comics and brought about an age where the superheroes took a back seat to Fantasy, Sci-FY and the reintroduction of the Horror theme from the 50's (at least until Wolverine was introduced in 1974). The Copper age has been well talked about on the boards so your point of view does add another twist. Personally for me I view the introduction of the 60 cent cover price to be a turning point where money was becoming the driving factor on how books were being published and distributed (the more the better). Which would put the Copper age to be about January of 1982. Any thoughts? I would love to discuss...

Tom

Tom,

Thank you for the correction to the oversight of my mistake. I wrote this during working hours and looking up the information using my phone, scribbling notes, and them writing everything down on my phone. Each sentence was typed between looking out for the boss. Although I can get away with a text here and there, writing a full blown journal is another matter.

I forgot about Conan, the book didn't even venture in my thoughts as I rushed to get them on paper before placing them on the registry in some sort of chronological order. In fact I had fun writing and would love to discuss the beginnings of the copper age.

What I find amazing is the end of one age does not necessarily mean the beginning of another age. For instance, I have read that the Golden Age of comics ended around 1950, a full six years before the publication of Showcase Comics #4. What happened during those six years?

I like to joke and say the Copper Age started in April of 84' because that is when I started to collect comics, but somehow I don't think the collecting community at large would accept that reasoning.

I look forward to discussing with you more about this topic. We can do so here or through the message boards because I do plan on writing more about it.

Tnerb

I apologize about any grammatical errors and/or spelling mistakes. Due to the holiday I was required to work. I figure, sneaking in an answer is justifiable since it is normally my day off.

Tnerb,

We could move this to the boards if you would like.

I call the era of end of 1949 to Showcase #4 as the age of anything goes. Seemed to be a race as to who could come with the most horrific cover...Black Cat Mystery #50 pretty much takes the cake for me. Have been on a search for that book for a while now. Would be a holy grail for me...

See you on the boards.

Tom

The article has now been updated. Time for sleep. Going to be a busy day tomorrow. I look forward to chatting with you you, Tom. And...just tell me how to get there, I am still learning the boards and how to get around.

Tnerb

I tend to agree with this assessment- "...the Copper Age of Comic Books is generally agreed to have spanned from 1984/85 to 1991/92. These bookend dates correspond to Marvel's twelve issue Secret Wars limited series and DC's universe streamlining Crisis on Infinite Earths, through the release of Jim Lee's adjectiveless X-Men series and the Marvel artist "defection" soon thereafter to form Image.

http://www.copperagecomics.com/

http://www.moneymatters101.com/antiques/cbook/cage.asp

I don't agree with the assessment that one age can end without another one beginning, or that ages can overlap. I need everything to flow from to another or it doesn't make sense in my OCD organized world. For this reason I believe the Bronze Age to be 1970-1983...with the Copper Age picking up at 1984.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way! Stinks you have to work, but it's good to be employed (see, there's always something to be thankful for!). Speaking of which, I am thankful for my God (taboo to some on this site I know, but I'm not ashamed), my family, my job, my home, and of course my comics!

sig.jpg

My opinion...

started 1985/1986

Ended 1999

Breakdown

Bronze Age 1970 - 1984

Copper Age 1985 - 1999

New Age 2000 - 2011/July

Modern Age 2011/August - present (Modern Age Begins because of DC The New 52)