• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 98. Deadpool appreciation.
2 2

664 posts in this topic

Sifting through the sand we call the copper age forum, I noticed after 8 long pages there was no NM 98 club threads that most popular issues have. In my non- esteemed opinion, I will attempt to spew some controversial thoughts of mine regarding this issue. Popularity wise (NOT value or print run), I think this issue may come to define the copper age even more so than TMNT 1. The hulk 181 of the age, if you will. Deadpool kicks azzz, and with the game and movie on the horizon, it's only a matter of time before his popularity eclipses that of the turtles. When a book with a 3-4 hundred thousand copy print run has 9.8's selling for 3 bills, BEFORE the masses discover him, it is my opinion (go easy on me) NM 98 will be THE copper age book to have. Unless the movie bites, then all bets are off. Marvel knows it has a gold mine in the making, so i'm assuming they'll put a bit more effort into this than they did Daredevil. R.I.P. my friend. But again, I'm not talking about value. TMNT has a print run of 3000? One of my old LCS's had close to that of NM98, so it will never reach the monetary heights the turtles have. Unless they grade a 10, perhaps? Anyhow, if it's been discussed before, I didn't find it. I figure this would create a discussion worth having between the eight people who post here in the copper section. Commence retribution or agreement....

I agree. The print run is larger than TMNT #1 but the book also is Deadpool's 1st appearance and still creates a buzz on eBay. Thank God he had an actual 1st appearance and not some dumb cameo appearance like Wolverine!! Once my older son got into Deadpool and comics, I quickly snagged a copy of this issue because like you said, with the upcoming video game and movie, the hype will drive the price up. I didn't buy this book as an investment piece, but more as part of a collection to work on with my son and introduce him to this great hobby.

I agree. The print run is larger than TMNT #1 but the book also is Deadpool's 1st appearance and still creates a buzz on eBay. Thank God he had an actual 1st appearance and not some dumb cameo appearance like Wolverine!! Once my older son got into Deadpool and comics, I quickly snagged a copy of this issue because like you said, with the upcoming video game and movie, the hype will drive the price up. I didn't buy this book as an investment piece, but more as part of a collection to work on with my son and introduce him to this great hobby.

Word for word, I could say the exact thing. Deadpool is one of those characters my son really likes, as well. And the book is obtainable in many forms, from the beat LCS copy for 10 bucks, or the several hundred dollar 9.8's. People even find them in the dollar bins regularly. I really hope they don't $&@% this movie up like they did the Punisher. Unless they reboot, he may never recover. :(

Edited by Paper Airplane

Word for word, I could say the exact thing. Deadpool is one of those characters my son really likes, as well. And the book is obtainable in many forms, from the beat LCS copy for 10 bucks, or the several hundred dollar 9.8's. People even find them in the dollar bins regularly. I really hope they don't $&@% this movie up like they did the Punisher. Unless they reboot, he may never recover. :(

Haha so true!!

This club is like joining the 'breathing club'...what boardie isn't in this one? (shrug)

Oh well, I'll start:

3234952901_d2ba8ebd13_b.jpg

Not sure anyone can argue that this book isn't "THE" Copper Age book to have. This one is like the Hulk #181 of the Copper Age.

I'm still waiting for this: 04C6F1F5-E78C-4B26-8752-A3687CB5F2EF-13182-0000099A46D8653A.jpg for me comparing NM98 to TMNT 1.
Nope. That would be equivalent to a 'wristslap' from the TMNT fans. The punishment you'll probably receive is being made to listen to Vanilla Ice's "Ninja Rap" in an endless loop. :eek:

lol Oh man, that was horrible. Then they'd make me watch Cool as Ice ...... In 3D!!!!!!

Edited by Paper Airplane

This club is like joining the 'breathing club'...what boardie isn't in this one? (shrug)

Oh well, I'll start:

3234952901_d2ba8ebd13_b.jpg

Not sure anyone can argue that this book isn't "THE" Copper Age book to have. This one is like the Hulk #181 of the Copper Age.

I think people will start chasing 9.9's due to there being so many 9.8's. Even with so many 9.8's, the demand is still there. I agree that it's the big book of the copper age, but I'm still waiting for the turtle crew to come in and start shreddin'.

I'm still waiting for the turtle crew to come in and start shreddin'.

i see what you did there !

I'd be lying if I said I didn't write that on purpose. I just saw this on YouTube. Funny stuff.

I've always wondered why Deadpool's second appearance is so worthless.Should be worth 3 or 4 bucks at the least?!?
That's what his first appearance should be worth :shy:

angry-mob.jpeg

lol

OHNOYOUDIDNT! Daffy gonna have to flex his pimp hand.

9c93c233.jpg

I've always wondered why Deadpool's second appearance is so worthless.Should be worth 3 or 4 bucks at the least?!?
That's what his first appearance should be worth :shy:

Sleeper. I was looking at those today and was scratching my head, as well. I'll be picking up a few.