• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 98. Deadpool appreciation.
2 2

664 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the the CGC community (started collecting slabs last summer) and I just spent the past hour reading this thread :) 

Submitted my New Mutants 98 in July 2022 to CGC (at San Diego Comic Con) as part of my first submission batch from my personal collection. After reading how strict CGC is, I didn't expect a good grade. After all, I've have my comics stored in various parts of my homes (including the garage) and I never rebagged or added new cardboard. I felt like I took good care while reading and enjoying my comics, but I had no idea what "near mint" consists of. So I was ecstatic to get my collection back last month... with the 9.8 grade. Whoever my presser at CCS and grader at CGC were - THANK YOU! I thought the blackish print marks in the middle of this cover would be a ding on the grade but i guess not - no complaints here!

I also didn't realized I had the Newsstand Edition. Mainly because when I was a kid, I would typically ignore bar coded covers because I find them ugly. I forgot how I purchased NM 98, but I remember why - it was simply to complete the NM series since I got hooked from issue 95 - the X-tinction Agenda storyline was my first entrance into the X-men universe and I loved the collaboration with all the mutants, and was so sad with the death of Warlock. 

I'm pretty sure I bought NM 98 for $1. So I feel like I won the lottery :flipbait: This comic is the most valuable comic I possess today since I only started collecting comics from the early 90's. And then I stopped when I went off to college in 1998. It's been a WILD adventure collecting CGC comics and slabbing my personal collection from last year and I look forward to building up my slabbed collection for the rest of my life (and then hand it all to my kids).

With that said, I don't plan on keeping this issue for the long-run. I absolutely love Ryan Reynolds in the films, but the cover art (those LEGS) really bother me haha I'm thinking of waiting until there's more hype for Deadpool 3 but who knows, maybe there will be a comic book price bubble bursting beforehand. We shall see!

CGC4098520-005_OBV.JPG

On 2/5/2023 at 8:28 PM, Mewie said:

I'm fairly new to the the CGC community (started collecting slabs last summer) and I just spent the past hour reading this thread :) 

Submitted my New Mutants 98 in July 2022 to CGC (at San Diego Comic Con) as part of my first submission batch from my personal collection. After reading how strict CGC is, I didn't expect a good grade. After all, I've have my comics stored in various parts of my homes (including the garage) and I never rebagged or added new cardboard. I felt like I took good care while reading and enjoying my comics, but I had no idea what "near mint" consists of. So I was ecstatic to get my collection back last month... with the 9.8 grade. Whoever my presser at CCS and grader at CGC were - THANK YOU! I thought the blackish print marks in the middle of this cover would be a ding on the grade but i guess not - no complaints here!

I also didn't realized I had the Newsstand Edition. Mainly because when I was a kid, I would typically ignore bar coded covers because I find them ugly. I forgot how I purchased NM 98, but I remember why - it was simply to complete the NM series since I got hooked from issue 95 - the X-tinction Agenda storyline was my first entrance into the X-men universe and I loved the collaboration with all the mutants, and was so sad with the death of Warlock. 

I'm pretty sure I bought NM 98 for $1. So I feel like I won the lottery :flipbait: This comic is the most valuable comic I possess today since I only started collecting comics from the early 90's. And then I stopped when I went off to college in 1998. It's been a WILD adventure collecting CGC comics and slabbing my personal collection from last year and I look forward to building up my slabbed collection for the rest of my life (and then hand it all to my kids).

With that said, I don't plan on keeping this issue for the long-run. I absolutely love Ryan Reynolds in the films, but the cover art (those LEGS) really bother me haha I'm thinking of waiting until there's more hype for Deadpool 3 but who knows, maybe there will be a comic book price bubble bursting beforehand. We shall see!

CGC4098520-005_OBV.JPG

Congrats

Went to see how the book is doing in newsstand 9.8

:whatthe:

87513F0C-D2FF-410B-BB14-86265857FC92.jpeg.b39cac2690a282ac27b83aabdec11a0e.jpeg

There are several listed on EBay at $3-5k:insane:

On 2/5/2023 at 7:45 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Congrats

Went to see how the book is doing in newsstand 9.8

:whatthe:

87513F0C-D2FF-410B-BB14-86265857FC92.jpeg.b39cac2690a282ac27b83aabdec11a0e.jpeg

There are several listed on EBay at $3-5k:insane:

Thank you.... and wha- $16K!? That's gotta be a typo or someone added a gold bar to that slab lol Unreal!

I would think maybe 10-20 years from now I'd see prices like that... but yeah, most realistically, I'm thinking $3K-$4K will be the most likely price I'll be able to get it at when I choose to let it go.