• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

Thank you all for your feedback on our latest acquisition. While it is difficult to get into an ongoing dialogue with the many CGC users, we would like, at a minimum, to respond to some of the questions that have been raised.

We have every intention to continue to operate transparently and welcome both criticism and thoughts on how we can best serve the hobby.

While many of you are very critical about some of our business decisions and other operating issues, I will address the following:

Turnaround times

No one is more frustrated than all of us at CGC with how far behind we have fallen and we are doing everything in our power to get caught up. Grading is not a business that can be rushed for obvious reasons. Being a CGC grader is not as easy as some of you may think and hiring qualified people that want to grade all day versus working in the marketplace is not an easy hire. We are constantly looking for qualified graders and if any of you would like to apply, we will be happy to evaluate your skills.

What are the necessary qualifications?

You'd have to be willing to endure all that hot weather in Sarasota, FL :idea:

slider3.jpg

No. Why would they? They haven't in the past and what would make you think they would change that stance now?

My question was directed to Steve Eichenbaum, I didn't know you were working for CGC and could answer for them.

As for why they would, one of the reasons that was given in the past is that pressing was very hard to detect and then that there was no way for CGC to confirm that a book has been pressed or not.

Now that this is going to change for several books, I would like to know what will be CGC stance for the books that they now know for sure that have been pressed.

Thank you in advance Mr Eichenbaum for your upcoming answer to my question.

The answer was actually in his response. "The grade is the grade"; grading practices are not going to change. Hence, if they didn't note pressing before, they aren't going to do it now. I do know however on restored grades they've noted it.

Despite the fact that CGC indicates they don't want to put anyone out of business, this will put a butthurt on the CPR crowd. They will be on notice.

I'm kinda shocked at the questions they did tackle. Some of the questions really didn't deserve to be answered because they were ridiculous. I foresee more stupidity.

I appreciate that you remain polite in answering me which is unfortunately not the case for some people here whom do not know the meaning of civility..

But if the answer to my question is so obvious and if CI is still an independant company and CGC not supposed to be aware of the work done by them (restoration, pressing, etc) when grading books then how do you explain the following statements ?

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Thank you all for your feedback on our latest acquisition. While it is difficult to get into an ongoing dialogue with the many CGC users, we would like, at a minimum, to respond to some of the questions that have been raised.

We have every intention to continue to operate transparently and welcome both criticism and thoughts on how we can best serve the hobby.

While many of you are very critical about some of our business decisions and other operating issues, I will address the following:

Turnaround times

No one is more frustrated than all of us at CGC with how far behind we have fallen and we are doing everything in our power to get caught up. Grading is not a business that can be rushed for obvious reasons. Being a CGC grader is not as easy as some of you may think and hiring qualified people that want to grade all day versus working in the marketplace is not an easy hire. We are constantly looking for qualified graders and if any of you would like to apply, we will be happy to evaluate your skills.

slider3.jpg

That's two tests I've passed - when do I get my certificate? :acclaim:

I'm guessing a high tolerance for pain and endurance.God bless 'em. If I had all the money I needed I would gladly step up to be an apprentice.

That means anybody who has suffered through these forums is qualified then :acclaim:

I am guessing it is a thankless job and I commend those willing to do it. I had a position at what I do that was high stress and I was actually quite good at it. I took another position once the opportunity arose as I had no love for dealing with the nonsense that came along with it.

????????

A consumer can identify a conflict of interest in a service provider's affiliation with another service provider & still asses the risk as low that the consumer won't realize the high benefit they forecast from the service.

The conflict, even if only perceived or speculative, exists; but, it's negligible, discounted, & ignored.

The consumer hires the service provider without further ado.

Then the internets.

Turnaround times

slider3.jpg

hm That does look like a nice marina.

Steve,

Do you see now - or at any point in the future - Matt's services being proactively offered by CGC post-grading and pre re-submission?

An example...

A key book is submitted, graded at 8.5 and classified as Restored (CT). Before being returned to the owner, CGC contacts the individual, explains the problem and offers to have the colour touch removed, indicating that they think if the work is done, it can be resubmitted and achieve an 8.0 Universal.

As I'm sure you know, this was the modus operandi utilised when PCS was 'underground', so to speak.

Is this 'consultancy approach' likely to be revived using Matt's expertise?

Along the same lines...

Could you submit a number of books to be pre-screened and those they fail get pushed over for pressing then re-graded seamlessly? hm

felllows you read over the important part or didnt notice it

quote snip

=======

As all of this relates to the purchase of Classics Incorporated, I am happy to consult with an advisory group of your peers to make sure that we do this properly

=====

Some one should start a tread so we can nominate 10 people to do this

not often do buisnesses give this opertunity

:)

Will CGC disclose pressing on the label for the books they will now know for 100% sure have been pressed ?

It would be unwise on their part. 2c

Because the general public will begin assuming books without that note were not pressed. Which would be untrue.

FT

Pat

Dale

Bob

Bedrock

namisgr

Miles

Roy

Theagenes

Waid

Not all of us are familiar with those people. Are they all BSD who would only be thinking of their own self-interests? If so, I'd like to add Danny Dupcak's name to the list in order to balance it out. At worst, it's a chance to get DD alone in a room where 10 people can beat the mess out of him.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

Um no. Those guys are as good as they come around here. Different points of view but all excellent men with the ability to debate rationally and intelligently

You'd make a superb substitute.