• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1 - Cover, Wrap, Centerfold

41 posts in this topic

Difficult enough that i doubt youll ever complete the book. I almost bought it myself but my advice would be to just enjoy it for what it is. Frankensteining a complete book would be tremendously difficult, youd be better off just saving your pennies for a complete copy if thats what you want, or enjoying the incomplete for what it is. IMO

I found one guy who was willing to sell the first wrap (off-white/tan), but wanted $2000 or trade for a 9.6 ASM 129 or 9.6 Hulk 181. I didn't think he was being reasonable or is he? He mentioned that he paid $800 for it a couple of years ago. Based on those prices it will cost me over $7000 to find those pages, which is not much less what the book will be worth restored.

Am I better off purchasing the origin wrap and then positioning the wrap and reproductions of the cover, centerfold and 2nd wrap? Or as mentioned enjoy it for what it is and leaving it alone. Gator mentioned to me just to attach the repro's. Just place them in position and that it is not worth attaching them.

It is a historic book regardless of its incompleteness and couldn't pass it up.

Phil Seuling ran an ad in The Buyer's Guide in the mid 80's advertising only the centerfold to Superman 1. He wanted nearly what a complete coverless copy would cost since he figured there were tons of Supes 1's with no or incomplete centerfolds (Superman of America coupon clipped). If I remember accurately it was around $800. Anyone else remember this?

Phil Seuling ran an ad in The Buyer's Guide in the mid 80's advertising only the centerfold to Superman 1. He wanted nearly what a complete coverless copy would cost since he figured there were tons of Supes 1's with no or incomplete centerfolds (Superman of America coupon clipped). If I remember accurately it was around $800. Anyone else remember this?

I remember Phil :luhv:

I found the 1st page to Sup 1 about 5 years ago in a coverless stack of GA comic pages. If you can only have one page out of Superman 1 then Page 1 is the one to have since it has the complete origin. I foolishly sold it at the time (I really wish I had it back). It sold for $800. That was maybe 4 years ago. So a complete 1st wrap is going to be much more than that.

I own a Complete coverless copy right now that I bought for $5000 6 years ago. Anyone have a good idea of what a Complete coverless goes for these days? $10,000?

I never thought of trying to find a cover. It just doesn't seem like it would be possible.

I'm still looking for a centerfold for a Cap 1. If anyone has one please let me know.

I found one guy who was willing to sell the first wrap (off-white/tan), but wanted $2000 or trade for a 9.6 ASM 129 or 9.6 Hulk 181. I didn't think he was being reasonable or is he? He mentioned that he paid $800 for it a couple of years ago.
Good question. I purchased a 1st wrap of Action #1 about 3 or 4 years ago for $3500 I figure it's worth about 8K now. I believe the 5th wrap sold for $6800 some time ago.

If someone was missing a 1st wrap to their Superman #1, $2000 would probably look like a good deal.

I found the 1st page to Sup 1 about 5 years ago in a coverless stack of GA comic pages. If you can only have one page out of Superman 1 then Page 1 is the one to have since it has the complete origin. I foolishly sold it at the time (I really wish I had it back). It sold for $800. That was maybe 4 years ago. So a complete 1st wrap is going to be much more than that.

I own a Complete coverless copy right now that I bought for $5000 6 years ago. Anyone have a good idea of what a Complete coverless goes for these days? $10,000?

I never thought of trying to find a cover. It just doesn't seem like it would be possible.

I'm still looking for a centerfold for a Cap 1. If anyone has one please let me know.

I am pretty sure the guy I have been talking to is the same individual who bought your page 1 wrap, but even if I pulled the trigger on that wrap, without the 2nd wrap and maybe the centerfold, I feel it would still come back incomplete.

I am pretty sure the guy I have been talking to is the same individual who bought your page 1 wrap, but even if I pulled the trigger on that wrap, without the 2nd wrap and maybe the centerfold, I feel it would still come back incomplete.

Mine wasn't a full 1st wrap. Mine was only the actual 1st page (pg 1/2). That sold for $800. So $2000 seems like it would be a fair price for the full 1st wrap.

Again, is $2000 a fair/reasonable price for the 1st wrap??? As well, if I add a copy of the 2nd wrap, centerfold and cover, will it come back restored or incomplete?

Yes, $2000 for 1st wrap seems fair to me.

I believe if you have copies of that many pages it will get a "NG incomplete"

I just got clarification from the individual I was speaking to and it is page 1 and not a wrap that he has for sale and wanting $1600 or trade for a nm Hulk 181 or 9.6 ASM 129. What would be a fair price for 1 page and not a wrap? I think what he wants for trade is not reasonable. Gadzukes, I do think it is the page that you sold 4 years ago, he has also provided me with pictures of the page.

I just got clarification from the individual I was speaking to and it is page 1 and not a wrap that he has for sale and wanting $1600 or trade for a nm Hulk 181 or 9.6 ASM 129. What would be a fair price for 1 page and not a wrap? I think what he wants for trade is not reasonable. Gadzukes, I do think it is the page that you sold 4 years ago, he has also provided me with pictures of the page.
A page is a big difference from a wrap. IMO, it's worth $1000 tops.

$1000, isn't that still very high for the 1st page (origin) of Superman 1? The page is off-white with some tanning and some tears, so I would say it is not a pristine example. Sorry about the quality of the photos, he mentioned they are currently being stored at his parents place. If we do agree upon something, how do I protect myself in this transaction as it sounds a little fishy?

origin%25201.JPG

origin%25202.JPG

origin%25203.JPG

origin%25204.JPG