• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber paper, Mylites2.

25 posts in this topic

I have been selling archival comic supplies for several years now, including pre-cut microchamber interleaving paper, both here (my kudos thread) and on eBay. This is the super thin and flexible cotton based microchamber interleaving paper that is identical to that used by CGC in all of their slabs.

CGC uses two sheets, one just inside the front cover and one just inside the rear cover. On higher value books, I prefer to use three with the third in the centerfold. You can use more, but don't stuff 'em, as we don't want to stress the staples.

CGC does cut their microchamber paper a little smaller than I do. They are a little more concerned about it peeking out of the book and having to explain to us level headed collectors, just how in the heck that piece of paper got left in the book. If this aesthetic is a major concern for you, you may want to order the next size smaller, as my sizes generally fit within 1mm of the edge of the comic. I have it professionally cut by a commercial printer in several standard comic sizes, then shrink wrapped in 500 sheet sets. All the pages are uniform, completely square and have no overhang or rough edges.

Pre-cut sizes:

6-1/2" x10-1/8" (fits just inside most modern comics)

6-5/8" x 10-3/16" (fits just inside most Bronze age)

6-13/16" x 10-3/16" Silver Gold (fits just inside most Silver age)

7-3/16" x 10-3/16" (sometimes inside, sometimes just outside most Gold Dell)

I recommend taking a piece of copy paper and marking those sizes on it and checking a couple of your books to see what works best for you.

I also have many other sizes already cut, including magazine size.

Prices include delivery to US

Microchamber Paper only:

200 sheets microchamber $51 delivered Priority Flat Rate Envelope (FRE)

300 sheets microchamber $71 delivered (FRE)

400 sheets microchamber $89 delivered (FRE)

500 sheets microchamber $103 delivered Priority Boxed domestic (FRE everywhere else)

The neatest storage method I have run across uses Gerber Mylites2, Archives and microchamber paper to allow you to see both the front and Back of your book while affording the acid and pollutant removal capability of microchamber paper. Here is how it works:

1. Microchamber paper is inserted into the comic. The microchamber paper provides your alkaline reserve.

2. the book is then inserted upside down into a 2 mil Mylites2, with flap folded

3. M2 is then inserted into a 4 mm Archive flap end first

Doing it this way you can easily view both the front and back of all of your books and no tape is needed. The following package will work for books up to Silver age:

Mylites2 + Archive + Microchamber paper:

50 Mylars 725M2 + 50 Archives 775R + 100 mcp $68 delivered

100 Mylars 725M2 + 100 Archives 775R + 200 mcp $124 delivered

200 Mylars 725M2 + 200 Archives 775R + 400 mcp $210 delivered

You can also use a few other combos including 700/725, 775/800 and 800/825.

Mylites2 + Microchamber:

100 Mylars / 200 mcp $78 delivered for 725M2, $78 for 775M2, $79 for 800M2

200 Mylars / 400 mcp $135 delivered for 725M2, $136 for 775M2, $137 for 800M2

400 Mylars / 800 mcp $245 delivered for 725M2, $247 for 775M2, $249 for 800M2

Microchamber paper, bags and boards:

Microchamber + Mylites2 and Halfback Boards

50 Mylars 725M2 / 50 Halfbacks 700HB / 100 mcp $55 Priority Boxed domestic

100 Mylars 725M2 / 100 Halfbacks 700HB / 200 mcp $90 delivered

200 Mylars 725M2 / 200 Halfbacks 700HB / 400 mcp $159 delivered

I imagine the majority of readers now have glazed over eyes and gossamer strands of drool connecting lower lip and lap. If not and you are still wondering just what Microchamber paper does, this probably should do the trick:

Microchamber Paper is one of the most critical conservation elements designed into the CGC encapsulation process. While the other parts of the slab provide structural protection, microchamber paper provides constant protection from pollutants which can diffuse through the Barex liner and pollutants generated from the ageing of paper itself. It absorbs and removes acids, aldehydes, ammonia, SO2, NOx, and oxidative gases, even in very low concentrations. It provides over 100 times the acid removal capacity of standard buffered boards.

I like that detailed explanation, I've been wondering how others do their books and if there was a better way. I need to begin changing from CGC slabs back to Mylars.

I've had all of my raw books in BCE Mylars, with their acid free boards. I still have enough to to my CGC collection in them, but I'd like to see how the two Mylar combination you describe looks and works.

Can you post a couple of pictures to show the size relationship of the Mylites with and inside of the Archives? It sound like a good system, and I think it might also be good to house the CGC labels. I'd be interested in about 200 for my ASM, ending around 1980(ASM 200). I generally prefer the Silver Age sizes for Mylars, bags and boards.

Lastly, do the thick annuals work fine in the same SA sized Mylars? Regards,

Can you post a couple of pictures to show the size relationship of the Mylites with and inside of the Archives? It sound like a good system, and I think it might also be good to house the CGC labels. I'd be interested in about 200 for my ASM, ending around 1980(ASM 200). I generally prefer the Silver Age sizes for Mylars, bags and boards.

Lastly, do the thick annuals work fine in the same SA sized Mylars? Regards,

The best way to judge sizing is with mschmidts Visual guide to Mylar sizes thread

Scroll down to combos and you can see most of the choices.

Keep in mind you will be eliminating the boards so you will have a little more space. This is why you can also use the 700 Current M2 in a 725R for modern books.

Gerber has a 7.25" wide bag they call "Standard" and a 7.75" wide they call "Silver Gold" The 725 is usually considered too tight for annuals, 80 page giants, etc. when using a backboard. I need to see if that would still be the case without the board. Of course the 775 will fit easily.

Those "delivered" prices are for the US only?

Yep, anywhere in the US. I shipped to Hawaii, yesterday.

However, I usually ship a couple packages a week internationally.

Anything listed as Flat Rate Envelope (FRE) will go to Canada for an additional $16, anywhere else add $20.

For the 500 microchamber sheets, is it possible to get a mix of the super gold and silver gold sizes? Say 200 super gold and the rest silver gold?

Sure!

Just use the 500 unit price.

Golden age has a lot of variability in the width of the books so you might get a slight overage.

The following package will work for books up to Silver age:

100 Mylars 725M2 + 100 Archives 775R + 200 mcp $124 delivered

200 Mylars 725M2 + 200 Archives 775R + 400 mcp $210 delivered

By "up to Silver age" I'm assuming you mean moderns back to silver age. Do you have similar combos for golden age size books? hm

The following package will work for books up to Silver age:

By "up to Silver age" I'm assuming you mean moderns back to silver age. Do you have similar combos for golden age size books? hm

I have the 825R archive in stock along with 775M2 and 800M2 that can be used as the inner bag.