• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Jabberings by Jeffro posted by samejeffro
1 1

1,013 posts in this topic

A stream of consciousness ride on the white water rapids of irrelevancy. Now with more clown. This journal goes to 11

Hey, why not? It's what all the cool kids are doing right? Here you get to read my ramblings regarding the comics I collect and any other dumb thing that pops into my head. Comments not only welcomed but demanded.

Nobody triple dog dares me! ;)

Also, Park

See more journals by samejeffro

A stream of consciousness ride on the white water rapids of irrelevancy. Now with more clown. This journal goes to 11

Hey, why not? It's what all the cool kids are doing right? Here you get to read my ramblings regarding the comics I collect and any other dumb thing that pops into my head. Comments not only welcomed but demanded.

Nobody triple dog dares me! ;)

Also, Park

See more journals by samejeffro

samurai-suicide-smiley-emoticon.gif

A bit of egging on can achieve great things.

What's your definition of great?

This thread. :cloud9:

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Definition?

When I was but a wee bairn reading Uncle Scrooge comics and the like, the wonderfulness of Nick Cardy’s work never entered my consciousness. It wasn’t until many years later, as a pre-teen bonny lass merely dreaming the impossible dream of a future filled with glittery vampires, (who knew?) that I transitioned from kiddie comics to the realms of tights wearing do-gooders.

One of my first used book store acquisitions was a copy of Teen Titans 20. I was immediately mesmerized by the slick realism of Neal Adams but who was this guy who drew the cover? I had no idea and I didn’t much like the looks of it. Only later did I learn the name of the master.

In the years that followed, his work started to imprint itself on what passed for my brain. It began to grow on me like mold. It began to get under my skin like a hungry tick. I began to whisper, wide eyed, in awe to anyone within earshot, Nick Cardy! Nick Cardy! Nick Cardy! After a lot of strange looks and after the psych eval came back negative, I began to seek out Cardy covers and that led me into my love of bronze DC horror.

It was also during this time of great personal transition that my obsession with vampire love stories waned and I discovered more sophisticated fare such as iCarly. Oh sure, you can have your Adams', your Wrightsons, your Kaultas but why oh why does Cardy not get the love?

While you ponder that and my words, you can focus your peepers on two such fine examples from the underrated master

witchinghour19.jpg

unexpected1341.jpg

There is a local con in my area that runs about every other month. There is also a couple others that run once or twice a year. And then there is ComiCONN .

Now, you might think that having all these cons within easy travel distance would be a good thing, and in a way it is. However, the quality of material presented is often disappointing. Some people bring decent stock, no question but then there are the bottom feeders. These are the ones who bring 50 cent, or 3 for a dollar boxes filled with near useless drek from the last 10-20 years. Ugh! :P

Why can't anyone bring discount boxes with at least copper or bronze readers? That would be interesting, but no, it's modern junk

ComiCONN shows some promise moving forward but they are, imo, far too interested in making the show a multi-media type event. I just want a quality comic show. Is that even possible anymore?

I am fortunate in one regard and that is because I live sandwiched between Boston and NY, I can always travel to those cities (and I have) for a higher grade of comic con. There are also other cons in other cities within fairly easy driving distance.

However, it seems like Connecticut will always be the red-headed stepchild when it comes to larger or major comic cons.

1 1