• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Jabberings by Jeffro posted by samejeffro
1 1

1,013 posts in this topic

as a pre-teen bonny lass

:shrug:

After 7 years on the boards I wouldn't think that I'd have to explain my sense of humor. :(

I dare you to try, just try.

Okay, you got me. I can't explain it either. :sorry:

Over in the bronze forum there is a war comics thread and the discussion about picking your top 10 bronze war comic covers. I posted this over there but also wanted to put it here for easy reference.

So without further ado, because we need the least amount to ado possible, I give you my list.

There is something about the way Kubert drew skulls. I can't quite put my finger on it but he really was a master at it. I'd give my left nut (maybe both of them) to own the OA. This may be my favorite WWT cover

WWT 42

Weird_War_Tales_Vol_1_42.jpg

A few years ago I purchased a very high grade copy of this book and had plans to get it signed by the Master. Alas, it wasn't to be. This is by far my favorite Enemy Ace cover. Just love the composition. The grey tone isn't too shabby either. :)

DC Special 26

DC_Special_Vol_1_26.jpg

I have a personal connection to this book. It was the late 70s and my dad took me to my first comic con that just happened to be occurring in the town I was living in at the time, New Britain, CT.

At about 10 years old, I was blown away by what I saw. I had nver seen so many comic books in one place. My dad ended by buying for me several DC war comics and a copy of SSWS 159 was one of them. Just love how Joe laid this one out. Also love the look on the face of the Unknown Soldier. Someday, I will find a high grade copy of this book

SSWS 159

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_159.jpg

I can't remember if I had a copy of this one first or if my intro to it was in the Fireside, America at War trade. Whichever it was, the image of the scarred face of the soldier is burned into my brain for all time. This cover, like his various "skull" covers makes me wish he had done more horror covers in the bronze age. Can you imagine seeing Kubert covers on Witching Hour and House of Mystery? I sure can.

SSWS 183

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_183.jpg

An offbeat choice to be sure; maybe it’s the trademark Kubert skulls. Maybe it’s the idea of skeletal Indians riding winged horses into battle in space. What’s not to love?

WWT 78

17610-2507-19691-1-weird-war-tales_super.jpg

The partial greytone/washtone and the mystical theme does it for me on this one. One of my favorite OAAW covers.

OAAW 236

Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_236.jpg

(worship) to the view on this cover.

OAAW 237

Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_237.jpg

Another hallmark of Kubert’s war covers, the damned if you do, damned if you don’t cover. lol Given the choices, I’ll take being blown up by the mine, thank you very much. I’ve always loved the killer red/orange sky color on this cover.

SSWS 180

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_180.jpg

This one plays into my interest in medieval style fantasy literature. Love the image of the arm holding the sword with the light streaming down through the trees. Also takes place in my favorite Haunted Tank era. I wish they had never destroyed the patchwork HT 

GIC 151

G.I._Combat_151.jpg

Another off beat choice. Two things do it for me in this cover. I love all the colors. (especially the brown and orange) They work extremely well together. Also, the center image of the HT with guns blazing silhouetted by the General is pure awesomeness

GIC 207

GI_Combat_Vol_1_207.jpg

There you have it. My ten choices. Fun list to put together

Jeffro's collection and random thoughts and jabberings Part 1

These days my collecting habits are heavily influenced by the comics I grew up reading. As a kid in the 70s, I read basically three things; Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge, and DC war comics. Kind of an odd combo perhaps but I think the love of war comics came from my interest in war movies which I enjoyed also as a kid. I didn't get into superheroes until my teen years in the 80s.

My family owned a little summer shack about an hour away and we used to go there on weekends throughout the summer. An hour away doesn't sound like much but as a kid, an hour away might as well have been several states away.

I kept a stack of comics there and one of my favorite things to do on the first visit of the year was read those comics. I think I still have them all. They had this wonderful musty smell that whenever I smell it, I'm immediately taken back to that cottage on a summer day back in the 70s. Interestingly enough, there was also a large stack of Playboys there as well but I was too young in those days to really take notice of them.

So what does all this have to do with my collecting habits? Simple really, a few years ago I started to get quite dissatisfied with what I was buying. Superheroes just weren't doing it for me anymore. I had given up on new comics back around 2001-2 because they just weren't the same as those wonderful copper superhero books that I cut my teeth on. :cloud9: Continuity had been flushed down the drain by publishers and writers seemed more interested in self-contained story arcs that allowed them to be as creative (re: destructive) with characters as they wanted to be.

I realized my passion for collecting comics was waning and I didn’t like that much. However, I wasn’t at the point where I wanted to just sell off everything and be done with it. After much thought I decided to collect those comics that I either loved as a kid, or that really connected with me on some aesthetic level.

What were those comics? Well, I mentioned some already in the opening paragraph. There would be more, oh yes, there would be more. No blood though. ;)

More to come (I know you’re chomping at the bit meh )

I thought you weren't a fan of the journal threads. Regardless, great post, love those Cardy covers.

It's not that I'm not a fan of journal threads, it's that I'm not a fan of people who post just to hear themselves talk and never interact with anyone else. It's a message board. Post your thoughts. others post their thoughts. Interact with each other. It's a social thing and you don't even have to be in the same room with the other person ;)

I thought you weren't a fan of the journal threads. Regardless, great post, love those Cardy covers.

It's not that I'm not a fan of journal threads, it's that I'm not a fan of people who post just to hear themselves talk and never interact with anyone else. It's a message board. Post your thoughts. others post their thoughts. Interact with each other. It's a social thing and you don't even have to be in the same room with the other person ;)

Interaction is nice, especially with fellow collectors! :)

1 1