• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"GLOD" posted by B. Koski

10 posts in this topic

That green label of death is not as bad as some people may think.

That so called glob of doom really depends on what actually is going on with the book that caused the label...For example, if the book is missing pages or incomplete, then yes, that green label would suck. But to me the only difference between a yellow and green is the label. Think about it for a second...If CGC ever went out of business, what would happen with that yellow label? The credentials of that certified yellow would mean nothing. There would be no difference between these two books that have a sig or sketch on them. Actually if you have a certificate with that green labeled book, it would actually trump the yellow. But yeah, for me it just depends on the reason for the green.

12632.jpg

See more journals by B. Koski

I agree 100%. The green label on say an autographed book with a certifcate of authenticity that cgc didn't witness is just as good as a yellow labeled cgc book. CGC is just saying THEY didn't witness it, not that it isn't valid. Im speaking purely from a personal, collecting mentality though, obviously eBay would disagree.

I am not sure why you state that the yellow signature would be "negated" if CGC went out of business. The book has a witnessed signature and it would only be in question if the book was taken out of the slab and CGC was out of business.

I do not have problem with books with COA's from Dynamic Forces editions and in a green label holder from CGC.

There is a stigma attached to the GLOD that I can't seem to get past. I thought about slabbing the first Gen 13 mini-series which I had signed by all the creators, but again I don't want to look at the green label. I know it's just a color, but for me it takes away from the joy of owning the book. As it is, I love the signed books in my collection that aren't slabbed and will continue to appreciate them as they are.

That is a really nice 1st appearance of Deathlock you have. What caused the green label, was it a signature with a COA?

sig.jpg

Hey Surf, The green label was caused from the book having a top cover added. The book is clean as can be. Yeah, apparently CGC said that the top cover was added. 9.6, w/p, $60.00..This book looks amazing!! Thanks Surf.

And the reason I said that a green would trump a yellow was based on the fact that "if" CGC was no longer in service, you would still need to take that book out of the case (eventually). Or maybe another company would come along and not except the authenticity of the Sig.

Hypothetical speaking of course.

That green label of death is not as bad as some people may think.

That so called glob of doom really depends on what actually is going on with the book that caused the label...For example, if the book is missing pages or incomplete, then yes, that green label would suck.

That's exactly what a Green label is for.
But to me the only difference between a yellow and green is the label.
Then you need to educate yourself.
Think about it for a second...If CGC ever went out of business, what would happen with that yellow label? The credentials of that certified yellow would mean nothing.
100% wrong.
There would be no difference between these two books that have a sig or sketch on them. Actually if you have a certificate with that green labeled book, it would actually trump the yellow.
Never in a million years. Where are you coming up with this carp?

I agree 100%. The green label on say an autographed book with a certifcate of authenticity that cgc didn't witness is just as good as a yellow labeled cgc book.

No it's not, its not even close. Are you high?

CGC is just saying THEY didn't witness it, not that it isn't valid. Im speaking purely from a personal, collecting mentality though, obviously eBay would disagree.

You're speaking from some kind of limited mentality, that's for sure.

Im confused... is the book that's being show a Qualified label because of a signature? Or because of non-visible defects (missing pages, popped centerfold, etc)

Yellow labels are valued more highly (especially here on the CGC boards) because you have the synergy of grading and certification all in one. They also seem to be very rigorous about their sig validation. I seem to recall a post about DF books of some flavor being able to be tampered with when they were bag sealed so a certified copy could be replaced with a fake.

A signed raw book with a certificate is not the same thing as a signed certified encapsulated book. The first can still be tampered or swapped out for a fake, the second cannot (not without it being obvious upon inspection of the slab.

So yes the yellow labels are valued higher because they are more likely authentic.

I could scrawl "Stan Lee" on a book. Sub it, and get back a Qualified slab. Does that make it as valuable as a yellow label slab?

Qualified labels are useful for the fact that they disclose internal condition issues (or at least they used to). Some people would prefer a GLOD 9.0 that states the centerfold is detached over a Universal 4.5 that doesnt state it.

I am not sure why you state that the yellow signature would be "negated" if CGC went out of business. The book has a witnessed signature and it would only be in question if the book was taken out of the slab and CGC was out of business.

I do not have problem with books with COA's from Dynamic Forces editions and in a green label holder from CGC.

+1

Yellow provides a high level of surety that a signature is real, by having a comic undergo a rigorous certification process. CGC going out of business does not retrospectively invalidated that process.

Green provides no indication of the authenticity of the signature. It simply notes the condition of the book.

The two are not comparable. To conflate the two demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of yellow and green labels.