• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Lord knows when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around"

22 posts in this topic

Anyone else getting a little skittish about recent auction results? I thought the ComicLink auction had some less than expected results for some nice pieces, and tonight's result for a very nice Romita ASM splash seems disappointing. Seems like the A- (very nice but not the best of the best) tier of art is not as frothy as it was earlier in the year. I am relatively new to OA, so please feel free to correct me or add color to the situation...just a little surprised by the Romita splash price.

Anyone else getting a little skittish about recent auction results? I thought the ComicLink auction had some less than expected results for some nice pieces, and tonight's result for a very nice Romita ASM splash seems disappointing. Seems like the A- (very nice but not the best of the best) tier of art is not as frothy as it was earlier in the year. I am relatively new to OA, so please feel free to correct me or add color to the situation...just a little surprised by the Romita splash price.

I assume you mean the one on eBay.....my experience is that OA on eBay USUALLY goes for a bit less than Heritage or comic link etc. so I wouldn't really put too much stock in it. And with every auction there are always a few things that get through " under value" but for the most part it all seems to be going steadily upward from where I'm sitting.....

Ebay typically isn't the best venue for high-end material as the 7-day (give or take) auctions often come and go without some collectors even noticing. Also worth noting is that auction houses like Comiclink and Heritage both promote their consignments for 3 months leading up to auction day giving potential buyers time to save, sell other pieces to raise funds, etc. Of course they both offer time payments as well.

With today's prices those factors are very important.

Just some thoughts...

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Let's face it, this piece is a B, maybe B+ level Romita Spidey and the collectors who have 20-25k to drop at a moments notice wouldn't be attracted by such a piece. That said a mid-level collector who WOULD be a buyer for a piece like this often needs to PLAN to make such moves. I have no doubt that if this piece was auctioned by one of the main auction houses that the price would have much stronger.

Let's face it guys, it's the state of the hobby and has to be taken into consideration when trying to guage valuation.

First off, I think its great that there's "new blood" in the Original Art forum. As many collectors in my "class (ie started collecting in the early 2000s like myself)" no longer post here or do so rarely, and those before me hardly post at all (but probably lurk), its good to see a new group taking the lead.

For those of us who have been involved in the hobby for quite some time, we've seen a lot of these pieces come and go over the years so often we can look at hammer prices and have some idea of what was originally paid. In several instances in many of the previous auctions, I know that several collectors took losses. It is very easy to look at current prices and proclaim that this stuff only goes up and you can't go wrong buying anything, but that is a miscalculation.

Yes, there is a lot of art that you could have purchased in the past that has only increased in value, but much of that material has consistently been difficult to obtain. Also, much of what has come to market that has sold for record prices over the past year has been buried for quite some time (save for a few pieces that many of us were scratching our heads about and discussing privately).

Save for a rare few, I have seen many many collectors have to pay their dues by not buying smartly and then taking large losses when they either needed to sell or wanted to liquidate what they had so that they could start buying with more experience.

Many many times on this board I have seen elder collectors give the sagely advice that a new collector should take their time to understand the market before making any purchases and I don't think that advice will ever get old.

Original art is a hobby and a passion to many of us because of the uniqueness of ownership along with the time and dedication and networking that is required to get a handle on things. You can't shortcut the effort if you're in it for the long haul. Sure, you can get lucky on a few things but nothing trumps experience in this hobby (except for money, and even that will only get you so far).

First off, I think its great that there's "new blood" in the Original Art forum. As many collectors in my "class (ie started collecting in the early 2000s like myself)" no longer post here or do so rarely, and those before me hardly post at all (but probably lurk), its good to see a new group taking the lead.

For those of us who have been involved in the hobby for quite some time, we've seen a lot of these pieces come and go over the years so often we can look at hammer prices and have some idea of what was originally paid. In several instances in many of the previous auctions, I know that several collectors took losses. It is very easy to look at current prices and proclaim that this stuff only goes up and you can't go wrong buying anything, but that is a miscalculation.

Yes, there is a lot of art that you could have purchased in the past that has only increased in value, but much of that material has consistently been difficult to obtain. Also, much of what has come to market that has sold for record prices over the past year has been buried for quite some time (save for a few pieces that many of us were scratching our heads about and discussing privately).

Save for a rare few, I have seen many many collectors have to pay their dues by not buying smartly and then taking large losses when they either needed to sell or wanted to liquidate what they had so that they could start buying with more experience.

Many many times on this board I have seen elder collectors give the sagely advice that a new collector should take their time to understand the market before making any purchases and I don't think that advice will ever get old.

Original art is a hobby and a passion to many of us because of the uniqueness of ownership along with the time and dedication and networking that is required to get a handle on things. You can't shortcut the effort if you're in it for the long haul. Sure, you can get lucky on a few things but nothing trumps experience in this hobby (except for money, and even that will only get you so far).

Well, the only logical conclusion then, is that those of you from previous generations must be obligated to assist us noobs by giving us sweet pages at nice prices. :baiting:

The only advice I could ever give, and I've been in this hobby a long time, is that you buy art that you actually like.

If it appreciates in value, that's an added bonus.

If it doesn't, at least you should enjoy the ownership.

I mean, if I buy a music CD, I buy something I want to listen to.

As "new blood", I appreciated the advice I receceived of buying what you love. If the bottom fell out of the market tomorrow, I wouldn't regret a single piece that I have. I've never jumped into the "deep end" of art, but I have spent enough money that I have felt the purchases in my budget. I love what I have and was even lucky enough to get four pages from my grail issue early in my collecting life. Collecting OA has been a rewarding experience for me. Thanks to those who are wiser and kept me from making the dumb mistakes that many before me have made.

I am also fairly new to OA collecting and I have learned a lot by 'lurking' on the boards the last couple of years. Thanks to all you experienced guys who share advice. Some of the biggest insights for me are the discussions about what to look for in possible fakes (for example the Kirby Silver Surfer pin up back-and-forth a few months ago - the yahoo group, I think). Keep the discourse coming!