• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Ways IMAGE comics Makes MARVEL or DC Look Bad?

41 posts in this topic

I agree with number 1. It would be great if Marvel would not put all that other on the cover. As for number 3, without ads that 3.99 Marvel book would probably be 4.99, plus I like the fact you get a digital code with most of the Marvel 3.99 titles. As for the last one I have to refer to my last point. I think Marvel offers a great value with the digital codes their books. When it comes to paper quality I have never give that o e much thought.

It doesn't have to be without ads, they could just stuff them in the back of the book like Image does. I don't know why Marvel couldn't publish and distribute a comic with equal number of pages and ads on equal quality paper for the same price as a publisher with a fraction of the buying power could.

I agree 100% with that article. I can't stand most of the ads all over the front covers. That stupid red banner for the marvel now doesn't make any sense. Why cover up 10% of the page? The ads inside don't bother me as much but they should just either be all at the beginning or all at the back.

If the paper DC uses gets any thinner its going to be like the tissue paper they use in gift bags.

I agree on every point. I can't read a Marvel title anymore (except Hawkeye and Deadpool) because of all the damn ads. Especially, the deceptive ones that make you think your still reading the book... But its really an ad for The Avengers selling life insurance or something...

Image > Marvel

Yeah, I said it!

I was just saying to my LCS guy the other day that it's like some kind of recycled tracing paper or that old toilet paper we in Britain used to get in public toilets.. (shrug)

Smearing paper - god that was a terrible flashback then.

Marvel is struggling to produce quality stories right now. I asked one of the guys at an LCS yesterday how Marvel Now was doing and he summed it up this way: "When DC relaunched with the New 52 we had both DC and Marvel fanboys talking about how great the relaunch was. With Marvel Now, the Marvel fanboys are not talking about it at all, let alone anyone else".

Heres the link to the bleeding cool article. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/19/four-ways-image-make-marvel-look-bad/. Let me here your legitimate opinion on this.

1) Agree. What marketing and graphic design geniuses decided a big red bar on the bottom of the book, with issue number at the bottom, was a good idea?

2) Agree. The 'self covered' books are especially flimsy.

3) meh. The ads are status quo for most publications. I'm not THAT easily distracted. :grin:

4) Agree.

The biggest difference, though, is the creativity. Marvel has recycled themes and introduced derivative characters for years. Gone are the days Marvel introduces a new book with new characters.

Heres the link to the bleeding cool article. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/19/four-ways-image-make-marvel-look-bad/. Let me here your legitimate opinion on this.

1) Agree. What marketing and graphic design geniuses decided a big red bar on the bottom of the book, with issue number at the bottom, was a good idea?

3) meh. The ads are status quo for most publications. I'm not THAT easily distracted. :grin:

4) Agree.

The biggest difference, though, is the creativity. Marvel has recycled themes and introduced derivative characters for years. Gone are the days Marvel introduces a new book with new characters.

Marvel has become good at taking a classic trope (character death, body switching, etc.) and turning what use to be a done-in-one story (or a couple of issues at the maximum) into an event. I'm amazed at how good their sales have been using this formula.

I wonder if the editors/writers sit around reading old Marvel comics trying to find a storyline that they can take and expand into a year long, multi-part epic?

4) Agree.

B-b-b-but, what about Superior Spider-Man? lol