• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Ways IMAGE comics Makes MARVEL or DC Look Bad?

41 posts in this topic

You know, ads can actually be a great part of a comic if done right. Imagine if the writer/artist knew what pages the ads would be on, and attempted to do mini-cliffhangers on the pages that precede those ads. Old school writers are told to make the last panel of a page something that will entice the reader to turn the page. Well, this could be especially true when an ad is right there, and you're forced to turn the page to see what happens.

Complicated? Perhaps. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to see more of it. Assuming there's ads all over the place.

Marvel is doing their best to make me switch over to digital.

By that I mean, I still want to stockpile Marvel books to someday read, but I am losing the desire to posses the physical floppy.

It is also a good thing that I can get most of those over priced, chock full of advertising, rehashed storyline Marvel books for free, as there are many folks out these scanning them and disseminating them over the web.

I support Image whose works are more creative, lower priced, better designed, and more about the subject matter i want to read of.

I support them with my Wallet.

I BUY their books because i want to posses the physical floppies. I want to collect them.

What marvel is doing is similar with how the mp3 format revolutionized the sale, collection, and consumption of music.

If they are producing a subpar product,sure you still may want to check it out, so you will download it.

you may check out any music you like by downloading it on the web. A band you really like, that you want to SUPPORT, you will BUY The physical CD (I usually try and do it direct from the act's website) You will go and SEE them in concert and pay them more of your hard earned money.

You will NOT buy into the cash grab

You will NOT support multiple cover schemes

You will NOT pay more for less of a product that is no longer the top of the food chain.

Well at least I won't

You may still like the characters and even want to read some of the books from time to time, but they are shooting themselves in the foot. They are making their products the SAME. Not genuine, innovating, and the top of the heap in the imagination department that they used to be.

Marvel was snatched up by Disney because of the character and licensing rights. That's where the money is made in our consumer driven society.

They don't CARE about the stories anymore and it shows.

Marvel is doing their best to make me switch over to digital.

By that I mean, I still want to stockpile Marvel books to someday read, but I am losing the desire to posses the physical floppy.

It is also a good thing that I can get most of those over priced, chock full of advertising, rehashed storyline Marvel books for free, as there are many folks out these scanning them and disseminating them over the web.

I support Image whose works are more creative, lower priced, better designed, and more about the subject matter i want to read of.

I support them with my Wallet.

I BUY their books because i want to posses the physical floppies. I want to collect them.

What marvel is doing is similar with how the mp3 format revolutionized the sale, collection, and consumption of music.

If they are producing a subpar product,sure you still may want to check it out, so you will download it.

you may check out any music you like by downloading it on the web. A band you really like, that you want to SUPPORT, you will BUY The physical CD (I usually try and do it direct from the act's website) You will go and SEE them in concert and pay them more of your hard earned money.

You will NOT buy into the cash grab

You will NOT support multiple cover schemes

You will NOT pay more for less of a product that is no longer the top of the food chain.

Well at least I won't

You may still like the characters and even want to read some of the books from time to time, but they are shooting themselves in the foot. They are making their products the SAME. Not genuine, innovating, and the top of the heap in the imagination department that they used to be.

Marvel was snatched up by Disney because of the character and licensing rights. That's where the money is made in our consumer driven society.

PERFECT post!

:golfclap:

That may well be true of Marvel (and the majority of DC for all I know), but DC are putting out one of the finest runs in a long time in Batman with Snyder and Capullo.

Image are good, but having read Revival, some Bedlam, Chew, TWD etc, I'd have to say fourteen of the last fifteen Batman books have been right up there with them.

That may well be true of Marvel (and the majority of DC for all I know), but DC are putting out one of the finest runs in a long time in Batman with Snyder and Capullo.

Image are good, but having read Revival, some Bedlam, Chew, TWD etc, I'd have to say fourteen of the last fifteen Batman books have been right up there with them.

Snyder is the exception, not the norm. They took a talented Vertigo writer and put him on the flagship title, to great result.

I think people are overhyping Image right now. They have two very strong properties (TWD and Saga), some that show promise (Revival, Nowhere Men, Clone), and others that seem to be primarily speculator driven with so-so stories and/or artwork (Bedlam and Manhattan Projects are overrated IMHO). Then there are a bunch of other titles that will likely die sooner than later.

DC is similar - very strong properties (Batman, Tec, Nightwing, GL, JLA to name a few. Aquaman is a good read, but with Johns leaving we will see if it holds), some middling ones, and then some that are slowly being killed off.

A strong property and good comic are not mutually exclusive. In fact often the opposite is the case. Image has plenty of variety when compared to Marvel and DC, and nothing is more important than that. So some good stuff doesn't get hype. If you want hype buy the next blank cover Deadpool variant or whatever. It's true, not everything Image puts out is gold, but at least they try. They kind of have to. They don't have the built in character loyalist or insane completionist fanbase guaranteeing six figure sales every month no matter how bad it gets.

A strong property and good comic are not mutually exclusive. In fact often the opposite is the case. Image has plenty of variety when compared to Marvel and DC, and nothing is more important than that. So some good stuff doesn't get hype. If you want hype buy the next blank cover Deadpool variant or whatever. It's true, not everything Image puts out is gold, but at least they try. They kind of have to. They don't have the built in character loyalist or insane completionist fanbase guaranteeing six figure sales every month no matter how bad it gets.

I am referring to strong properties = good comic. There is a lot of Image stuff that is garbage that will die off quickly, just like there is a lot of garbage from Marvel and DC. However, there are some great reads from DC (not sure about Marvel as I do not follow any of their books) that a lot of Image/indy readers are dismissing. Don't get me wrong, I think some of the Image stuff is great, but don't forget that for every few hits there are a ton of misses with Image as well.

I think people are overhyping Image right now. They have two very strong properties (TWD and Saga), some that show promise (Revival, Nowhere Men, Clone), and others that seem to be primarily speculator driven with so-so stories and/or artwork (Bedlam and Manhattan Projects are overrated IMHO). Then there are a bunch of other titles that will likely die sooner than later.

DC is similar - very strong properties (Batman, Tec, Nightwing, GL, JLA to name a few. Aquaman is a good read, but with Johns leaving we will see if it holds), some middling ones, and then some that are slowly being killed off.

Saga is very overrated.

I think they care about the stories. It's just that there are at least three factors that hamstring them: One, creators aren't creating for the big two, and why would they? Save your great ideas for creator owned projects, and reap any subsequent media project rewards. Two, the creative process is inbred, with many creators having past comics, like Claremont/Byrne XMen, as their most significant literary influences. Third, too many stories are editor driven, where the writer's vision is overridden by a wannabe-writer editor, or the latest grand crossover event.

I am referring to strong properties = good comic. There is a lot of Image stuff that is garbage that will die off quickly, just like there is a lot of garbage from Marvel and DC. However, there are some great reads from DC (not sure about Marvel as I do not follow any of their books) that a lot of Image/indy readers are dismissing. Don't get me wrong, I think some of the Image stuff is great, but don't forget that for every few hits there are a ton of misses with Image as well.

Oh. A DC fan. meh

Sayonara, credibility. lol

as we head into 2013 lets be honest, does Marvel give a mess about floppies?

Disney likes movies and merchandise, not floppies

You are right, sadly.

I think this is somewhat shortsighted. I think Disney could really use the comic form to maximize and supplement exposure for the characters and properties. Between Disney stores and re-establishing checkout comic sales, like Archie does with digests, I think a business plan could be formulated.

DC has Vertigo and it's better than both Marvel and DC.

The current Batman run is better than 99% of comics of the last 20 years

Add to this Fables, Dmz, Y Last Man and so on

This isn't a fair assessment, though, all those properties are done, and have been for a while.

With the cancellation of Hellblazer (relaunch?) vertigo is now dead. Which is a shame, because it was great.

Image gets my vote, for the sake of them trying to create variety in their product. DC and Marvel try and push almost no new books, and very little new talent.

when you watch a DVD, do you expect to see commercials in the middle of it? of course not. So why do DC and Marvel put advertising IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STORY? stupid.

Because if all the ads were at the back nobody would look at them when they'd finished reading the story. Duh.