• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ah, the classic "what I collect, what you collect drools".

The book is purely bought due to movie hype. The character really isn't that great, and I think the comments here while rude AF are accurate and reasonable in the assessment that buying that book, for that kind of money is NOT a sound investment and you can definitely wait it out and get cheaper copies. It is definitely safe to say this is not a collector buying this book for these prices.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Wow. When the bubble bursts on these books there will be a lot of unhappy new speculators/collectors exiting with big losses.

It may take a bit longer since people really liked him but I can't imagine JA 6 will not go the way of DD 4.  Everyone wanted first Purple Man for a bit and now prices have dropped across the board.  Sell now if you are holding!  I bought a lower grade JA 6 for $5 and sold it for $40 two days later.  Get out while the going is good.

12 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

The book is purely bought due to movie hype. The character really isn't that great, and I think the comments here while rude AF are accurate and reasonable in the assessment that buying that book, for that kind of money is NOT a sound investment and you can definitely wait it out and get cheaper copies. It is definitely safe to say this is not a collector buying this book for these prices.

Believe me, I'm the first one to agree you don't buy on movie hype.

That was not the poster's argument however. It was strictly relating to the character.

FYI, only one 9.8 has been sold each of the past two years. Before 2016 the previous sale was in 2012. I think we all will agree the market has been hot. I don't think this sale price should be that shocking.

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Believe me, I'm the first one to agree you don't buy on movie hype.

That was not the poster's argument however. It was strictly relating to the character.

FYI, only one 9.8 has been sold each of the past two years. Before 2016 the previous sale was in 2012. I think we all will agree the market has been hot. I don't think this sale price should be that shocking.

It is, to a degree. I had thought that a lot of the UHG BA collectors had kind of dropped out once the market shifted to a "keys only" atmosphere. And while it may be scarce in 9.8, it is probably safe to say it is still sitting in many collections where grading is not a primary concern. If those were the census numbers on a Spiderman book, I would say "yea, that makes sense", but not a Jungle Action book.

5 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Rude? I never meant to sound rude, If I had $3000 to spend on a book ,that would not be it, that is what I was trying to get at. 

13 hours ago, kimik said:

Wow. When the bubble bursts on these books there will be a lot of unhappy new speculators/collectors exiting with big losses.

I have a hunch that there are a decent amount of collectors that are PoC that are buying these books. And while it may be realized later that a better deal may have bene had, I think there is not going to be regret over buying the book. Let's not forget that JA 6 is also the first BP solo story, and that it introduces a few elements of Wakanda.

6 hours ago, Ovrclck said:

New gods #1 and Mister Miracle #4. Let the movie hype begin!

I posted this list of characters about a month ago in a different thread. With the announcement of a movie, it even makes more sense. I started buying up Mister Miracle #1, 2, 4 & 6s about 4-5 months ago. The #2 & #6 are still reasonable, the ship has sailed on the #4s.

6 minutes ago, boomtown said:

I posted this list of characters about a month ago in a different thread. With the announcement of a movie, it even makes more sense. I started buying up Mister Miracle #1, 2, 4 & 6s about 4-5 months ago. The #2 & #6 are still reasonable, the ship has sailed on the #4s.

Thanks to your post I was able to secure high grade copies of both 2, and 6 about a month ago. #4 is definitely out there now :(

Edited by Ovrclck

40 minutes ago, Grib said:

I wonder if the Shadow or Doc Savage books might be a future hot book, there was talk of movies for both character.

Since the money book you'd probably want is the same book for both characters, and is from the Golden Age, it's probably already pricey.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, scooter99 said:

It's because of the cva. Never bid on a cva (in hopes of winning) unless you're prepared to pay through the nose. I learned that the hard way. Had it been a gold sticker the price would've reached whackadoo bonkers level!

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

It's because of the cva. Never bid on a cva (in hopes of winning) unless you're prepared to pay through the nose. I learned that the hard way. Had it been a gold sticker the price would've reached whackadoo bonkers level!

I don't pay attention to CVA stickers.  They shot themselves in the foot when they first came out.  Many of the books that had the sticker were miswrapped.  I don't know if they've tightened up on giving stickers, but it isn't that hard to see if a book is registered well and presents nicely.  I really believe the sky high price is due to so few examples come to market.  Tec 411 is super tough at 9.2 or better. 

14 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Do we really need a sticker to tell us it is a well graded book? Whats next? A sticker to tell us that it is a good CVA , CGC book? :mad:

4 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I think Kirby had some good ideas with the Fourth World stuff but the actual execution was pure goofiness

Was a bit confusing to follow the 1970s reading sequence btwn Forever People #4 to New Gods #4 to Mr Miracle #4 to Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Was a bit confusing to follow the 1970s reading sequence btwn Forever People #4 to New Gods #4 to Mr Miracle #4 to Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

I'm trying to do it now as I have all the books. Following this guide, I'm already confused and I only finished the #1 issues. Plus, the material itself is on another level of WTF, but fun.