• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2018 at 3:08 PM, MisterX said:

The sticker thing comes from the coin world. The CAC sticker. I guess it's an accepted part of the slabbed coin hobby. Somebody figured it would work with slabbed comics. Paging RMA for more insight...?

On 3/22/2018 at 3:13 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

I thought in coins they had a star designation on the grade label which indicated a coin with exceptional qualities for the grade. I think it actually was RMA that suggested CGC adopt this as well. They didn't (or haven't yet) and so someone else has picked up the baton, but. again, it's a very flawed, incomplete service they offer. 

CGC hasn't moved on this, and probably won't until they establish the obvious other grades first. It would be stupid to have a "9.6+" or "9.6*" grade without the very obvious "9.7" in place first.

As MisterX noted, the Certified Acceptance Corporation, or "CAC", looks at slabbed coins, and determines if they are accurately graded or even undergraded, and how nice they look for their grade. This can be, and is, a valuable service to those who can't see the book for themselves in person before buying, and are afraid of picking up "dud grade" books. There are, as extensively noted elsewhere on this forum, many examples of "dud grades."

Obviously, they can't account for the inside of the book, but that's not the point. The point is strictly based on eye appeal. Does the book look typical for its assigned grade, or does it look better? That's the reason for the service. There are people who will happily pay a premium for a book that has a superb color strike, for example, despite its technical grade. There are a ton bunch of orange-y Hulk #181s out there...but to have a copy with a deep red strike? That's difficult to show even under the best photographic conditions.

It does no one any credit to dismiss the idea, especially with scorn and contempt, in light of the frequent "boy did CGC get THIS wrong" comments that are posted here and elsewhere.

EDIT: This is not an endorsement of CVA, by any means. I do not know how well they do what they claim to do. This is simply an endorsement of the idea. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

One of my favourite scenes in a Marvel film is the all-too-brief appearance of a Celestial in the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Harley Troy said:

I'm on the fence here, my question is why? Not why people are shilling or trying to increase value but why is the seller posting this? Is it noble or a grudge? Anyone know the seller or have a thought?

Edited by Grib
Spelling check

The guy kind of sounds like a loon.  I can't read the serial numbers but it appears he has 7 auctions going for the same book (unless he has 7 9.8s).  Does he have any copies at all or is it all a public warning? 

24 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The guy kind of sounds like a loon.  I can't read the serial numbers but it appears he has 7 auctions going for the same book (unless he has 7 9.8s).  Does he have any copies at all or is it all a public warning? 

Intersting! Does he have a book for sale? The local pick up only is odd too. I didn't know eBay offered this? Sounds off.

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Where's the rude police?

10 hours ago, batmiesta said:

He's only trying to save some Mug from parting with his hard earned cash, nothing wrong with that. :bigsmile:

Blunt and to the point.

I can spot someone else from northern England's here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just when you think movie rumor/spec is dead, something like Eternals happen. Im not hating or supporting, just reflecting.

I understand (not really, more like came to terms with) when theres a rumor about a movie, then hype, and the cover just happens to have a variant by a hot artist and theres some sort of speculation on print run.

This... This is just an abomination 

Again, Im not hating on Eternals fans, or Kirby fans. I have a copy listed on eBay, so Im not bitter.

But this is definitely a weird one