• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,715 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Different topic, but "first Silver Age appearance" is the most over-hyped, price inflating ruse in the hobby...……………..

Yeah... I wonder how long a character has to be "gone" to make their "return" a key event?

Especially if their absence (however short) crosses some mythical "Age Line" separating arbitrary eras in comicbooks.

"It's been literally AGES since his last appearance!" :D

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Yeah... I wonder how long a character has to be "gone" to make their "return" a key event?

Especially if their absence (however short) crosses some mythical "Age Line" separating arbitrary eras in comicbooks.

It is rather silly.  Fantastic Four 286 - First copper age appearance of Jean Gray.  Silver Surfer 34 - First copper age appearance of Thanos.  The list could go on and on.

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

I hear that Wolverine guy is coming back....

45 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

It is rather silly.  Fantastic Four 286 - First copper age appearance of Jean Gray.  Silver Surfer 34 - First copper age appearance of Thanos.  The list could go on and on.

Lucky to get a few bucks for FF 286. The Silver Surfer run is important for other reasons.

The reason those older "return" appearances are important is because a majority of people will never own the original first appearance. Anything Bronze up is still attainable in today's market.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Yep. FF286 LOL!

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Fantastic Four 286 - First copper age appearance of Jean Gray.

First of all, that was Avengers 263. Secondly, it's Jean Grey. Finally, who ever refers to the issue in that way?

34 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

First of all, that was Avengers 263. Secondly, it's Jean Grey. Finally, who ever refers to the issue in that way?

FF286 does have her "return" as far as CGC labels go (and spells her name right too) and was put out the same time as AV263 but is part 2 of her return. But certainly nowhere near a "key" though, not even close to the level of SS34 which is also not a key, though its importance in being Thanos' "return" (after, what, 5 years? lol) is made greater due to Starlin taking Thanos and really turning him into a much more interesting and important character than he was pre-Starlin. 

Funny though how "1st Copper-Age appearance" just doesn't have quite the ring to it a "1st Bronze-Age appearance" or "1st Silver-Age appearance". Heh. I still think we need to split the "Modern-Age" (are 25 year old books really "Modern"?) into two or three more "ages". :grin:

Edited by jcjames

33 minutes ago, jcjames said:

though its importance in being Thanos' "return" (after, what, 5 years? lol) is made greater due to Starlin taking Thanos and really turning him into a much more interesting and important character than he was pre-Starlin. 

There was no "pre-Starlin" Thanos, he created the character.

35 minutes ago, jcjames said:

FF286 does have her "return" as far as CGC labels go

Yet another reason to not trust CGC labels.

(and spells her name right too) and was put out the same time as AV263 but is part 2 of her return. But certainly nowhere near a "key" though, not even close to the level of SS34 which is also not a key, though its importance in being Thanos' "return"

Yes, characters returning from "death" is a big deal, though the impact has somehow been diminished over the years with the installation of the revolving Door to the Afterlife. But nobody ever calls Avengers 263 the "first Copper Age Jean Grey" or Silver Surfer 34 the "first Copper Age Thanos"

(after, what, 5 years? lol) is made greater due to Starlin taking Thanos and really turning him into a much more interesting and important character than he was pre-Starlin.

Pre-Starlin Thanos? ???

Thanos was dead for over 12 years. His death wasn't a huge deal, but his return quickly became one.

Jean Grey was killed off in controversial fashion and it took 5 years for her to be brought back. Her death had a major impact and her return was also major.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

FF286 does have her "return" as far as CGC labels go (and spells her name right too) and was put out the same time as AV263 but is part 2 of her return. But certainly nowhere near a "key" though, not even close to the level of SS34 which is also not a key, though its importance in being Thanos' "return" (after, what, 5 years? lol) is made greater due to Starlin taking Thanos and really turning him into a much more interesting and important character than he was pre-Starlin. 

Funny though how "1st Copper-Age appearance" just doesn't have quite the ring to it a "1st Bronze-Age appearance" or "1st Silver-Age appearance". Heh. I still think we need to split the "Modern-Age" (are 25 year old books really "Modern"?) into two or three more "ages". :grin:

SS34 used to be a key if it isn't anymore. Obviously, SS44 has eclipsed it in terms of price, but for a long, long time 34 was the most expensive book in the run. Certainly a key in the early 90's...wish I could lay my hands on one of those early issues of Wizard...

Edited by PeterPark

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

I meant within the SS run. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but Thanos didn't appear within the title before SS 34, so there should not be a pre-Starlin Thanos within the SS run either. SS 34 is the re-introduction of Thanos since his death in the late Bronze Age as well as the beginning of Starlin's run on SS. It was deliberate to bring both on in the same issue since Thanos was Starlin's baby and the issue was built-up as such in the pre-release hoopla. To me it's still a key for those reasons. For those of us that jumped into comics in the 80's, it was our first glimpse of a character who eventually took on the entire universe in Infinity Gauntlet and begat everything Infinity that came after (including the current MCU arc).

As far as issues being key because of "First Copper Age appearance"... this is literally the first time I'm hearing this term and it sounds fairly ridiculous. If a book is a standout because it's the first time a character is brought back since their death, yeah, that usually is a big deal no matter the era (such as Jean, Jason Todd/Red Hood and even the Gwen Clone). First Silver Age appearance is a much different animal.... there's a pretty large gulf stylistically and content-wise between GA and SA in which a lot of things changed -- many of those characters were practically dead and buried over that period. For DC, they're even considered different continuities because the differences were so pronounced. The line between Bronze, Copper, Modern is blurrier and has never been considered as such a hard break from era to era, thus there isn't much demand for a character's first Copper appearance (although there is a delineation again with DC for pre-Crisis and post-Crisis, so you have some things such as first post-Crisis Catwoman and post-Crisis Jason Todd mentioned as being somewhat significant).

I just get blown away by some of the prices realized by these Bronze Age keys.  I remember not that long ago a X-Men 101 was a $80 book in mid grade and I'm getting offers of $150 an hour after posting up a copy.  Thor 165 prices also seem just crazy right now in higher grades.

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I would be selling all the Warlock books I could as with James Gunn out as director on Guardians 3 there is no lock anymore that they use the character.

I don't agree.  I believe Marvel has a blueprint and has already planned years if not decades into the future as to what characters they will be introducing into the MCU and when.  If you believe that GOTG3 and the Cosmic MCU will suffer a quality drop or consumer apathy due to Gunn's absence, then a decision to dump Warlock's books might be prudent.  But I don't think dumping them because Warlock suddenly gets scratched from the docket is wise.  Warlock's coming, Gunn or no.  Could they rejigger which movie he makes his first appearance in because of the Gunn firing?  Possibly.  But he definitely has a future, and soon, in the MCU.

Edited by iganatz
typo

I thought I read somewhere that Gunn had said that the Cocoon scene did not necessarily mean that Warlock was appearing in Guardians 3. 

I would argue that Gunn being off the project would mean a greater, not lesser chance of Warlock being in the next one.  

New guy comes in and he's already got a a premise to work with, assuming it's not already been planned for months.

5 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

I thought I read somewhere that Gunn had said that the Cocoon scene did not necessarily mean that Warlock was appearing in Guardians 3. 

I would argue that Gunn being off the project would mean a greater, not lesser chance of Warlock being in the next one.  

New guy comes in and he's already got a a premise to work with, assuming it's not already been planned for months.

Yeah, I never believed for a second that Gunn didn't intend to introduce Him, I think he was just being coy.  And I think you're right.  When Gunn was presumed to be the shepherd of the cosmic end of the MCU, he certainly could have taken his time and maybe just introduced Warlock as Him and slowly brought him along across several films.  New guy might just go from Him to Warlock in one film.  We shall see.