• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

It does seem like a no brainer but I just see any way they were going to make a movie based on the character especially after the Iron Fist disaster.  i think i had a couple stocked away and then sold them after the Iron Fist series came out. 

China exists though.

28 minutes ago, kimik said:

Shang Chi is on par with Iron Fist as a C level property - they can't maintain a comic title. Moon Knight is a C+ since there is actually a comic fan following that sustains it. Ghost Rider is a solid B level property that has already had two somewhat successful movies as well as appearances on tv (Agents of Shield) - MoKF is nowhere near that at this point.

I do agree with you that the comic has been overlooked, though. I was buying MP 15, SME 15, Ms Marvel 1, MSpot 32, ASM 194 and others a few years back as a spec play. Thankfully they have popped now. That being said, I should have bought more Hulk 181s/ASM 129s/GSX 1s instead. lol 

From the perspective of movie-goers, the importance of Shang Chi in the Marvel Universe is irrelevant -- assuming a movie indeed has been green-lighted for production by Marvel Studios.  Nobody except hard core collectors who lived through the Bronze and Copper Ages have ever heard of this character.  But it's a martial arts character who is cool AF ("Master of Kung Fu" should be the name of the film) that will appeal to Asian markets, as well as Western ones.  And it can be used as a spring-board to bring in all the martial arts and 'night' characters and create a new sub-universe for films -- Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Blade, WWBN, etc.  All with the "MARVEL" label draped around it.  At least, that's what I think Feige has up his sleeve.

Edited by zosocane

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Shang Chi is on par with Iron Fist as a C level property - they can't maintain a comic title. Moon Knight is a C+ since there is actually a comic fan following that sustains it. Ghost Rider is a solid B level property that has already had two somewhat successful movies as well as appearances on tv (Agents of Shield) - MoKF is nowhere near that at this point.

I think 110 issues constitutes "maintenance" of a title run . . . :baiting: And some of the best writing and art around at the time. :sumo:

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

From eBay.. like.. all day everyday 

this book needed a correction... BADLY And not because of a movie announcement. Just because it's been grossly overlooked all these years. Think of what Eternals are going for now JUST BECAUSE of a movie announcement. 

Shang Chi is on the same level as Iron Fist, Ghost rider or Moon Knight. Movie or no movie. These are b level properties which had long runs and a slew of appearances in the marvel universe. Now ask yourself.. how the heck is its first appearance selling for pennies compared to those other b class characters?????

The movie announcement here simply brought the character to light

Eh, he's no where near pre-Netflix Iron Fist, can touch Ghost or Moon.

I guess Masta Killa is the same as Ghostface and Raekwon?

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, divad said:

I think 110 issues constitutes "maintenance" of a title run . . .

Maybe, but that doesn't mean much today when the last issue came out over 35 years ago.

Exactly my point. Nobody has cared about Shang-Chi since the end of that run until the potential movie announcements...........

Edited by kimik

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean much today when the last issue came out over 35 years ago.

I think there were copyright issues around the character that put the kibosh on new stories. The Fu man Chu problem persisted and prevented even reprints for quite some time.

As Divad said above, a Starlin masterpiece :x

6 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Wasn't there a warehouse find of this issue? I swear I remember hearing that prices were kept down because there was a large supply of high grade copies due to a warehouse find. 

That does sound vaguely familiar . . . hm I think for SME 16 as well. Anyone wirth a better memory around here? :preach:

On 12/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, HighVoltage said:

A bunch of the 9.6 sales were probably from Greg Reece's site. He had about 10 copies up at 9.6 for quite awhile. They're all gone now.

Metro had a slabbed 9.2 that disappeared yesterday and Bob Storms had a 9.2 that went today... both asking prices were $375, I believe.

Greg has a single 9.6 left, now at $900.  I doubt it will last the day.

49 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Greg has a single 9.6 left, now at $900.  I doubt it will last the day.

10 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Which book are you referring too?

Special Marvel Edition #15.  Linky

Edited by nearmint

There are going to be some very sorry people who get burned paying that much for 9.2 - 9.6 copies of SME #15 right now on the movie hype............

Related image

Edited by kimik

On 12/6/2018 at 10:41 AM, Crimebuster said:

Wasn't there a warehouse find of this issue? I swear I remember hearing that prices were kept down because there was a large supply of high grade copies due to a warehouse find. 

There are tons of them.  I know instances of people having short boxes of just that issue.  They came in bulk from somewhere

On 12/5/2018 at 6:45 PM, ygogolak said:

Eh, he's no where near pre-Netflix Iron Fist, can touch Ghost or Moon.

I guess Masta Killa is the same as Ghostface and Raekwon?

I think you are forgetting one thing . . . Shang-Chi is NOT a superhero - he's a disciplined student of the martial arts.

17 minutes ago, divad said:

I think you are forgetting one thing . . . Shang-Chi is NOT a superhero - he's a disciplined student of the martial arts.

This might be Marvels Spy movie. Paul Gulacy stuff was a lot of fun and I feel a great way to feature the character.

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.jpg