• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Conversely #42 is about half what it was earlier this year.

This is exactly why it's generally never a good idea to buy into a hot speculative book if you are thinking of reselling it for a profit.  :preach:

Especially since hot speculative books tends to have a very short trading window as speculators are quick to jump ship and try to hop onto the next hot speculative train that's barreling towards them.  :tonofbricks:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is exactly why it's generally never a good idea to buy into a hot speculative book if you are thinking of reselling it for a profit.  :preach:

Especially since hot speculative books tends to have a very short trading window as speculators are quick to jump ship and try to hop onto the next hot speculative train that's barreling towards them.  :tonofbricks:

Hmm, that's not the case at all. It was speculative before 2015. It really wasn't even then. People like Boba Fett and that's his "first" comic appearance. It jumped because they said they were going to do a standalone movie with him. That was a good time to sell. There is no speculation once a movie is announced. Now, since then, they have changed things around and cancelled the movie idea since they are doing a similar TV show that has the budget of a movie.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:24 PM, lou_fine said:
On 12/25/2018 at 6:58 AM, ygogolak said:

Conversely #42 is about half what it was earlier this year.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:52 AM, ygogolak said:

Hmm, that's not the case at all. It was speculative before 2015. It really wasn't even then. People like Boba Fett and that's his "first" comic appearance. It jumped because they said they were going to do a standalone movie with him. That was a good time to sell. There is no speculation once a movie is announced. Now, since then, they have changed things around and cancelled the movie idea since they are doing a similar TV show that has the budget of a movie.

Well, all I can say is that if a book is worth half of what it was earlier this year or if its artificial and temporary speculative value is gone once a movie has been announced, is that not the exact definition of a speculative or movie hyped book.  Especially since it will in most cases, not be able to retain its value over an extended period of time.  hm  :tonofbricks:

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can say is that if a book is worth half of what it was earlier this year or if its artificial and temporary speculative value is gone once a movie has been announced, is that not the exact definition of a speculative or movie hyped book.  Especially since it will in most cases, not be able to retain its value over an extended period of time.  hm  :tonofbricks:

What was 42 before? And not just slabbed 9.8, that is .01% of the market, maybe less.

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

12 hours ago, the blob said:

What was 42 before? And not just slabbed 9.8, that is .01% of the market, maybe less.

Exactly, what is your window for evaluating value? Just like stocks, you can look at the last week, last 90 days or last 5 years.

In 2009 there was one 9.8 sale for $66. In 2018 there was a sale for $659. Is the book tanking?

"When I was in the fourth or 5th grade I got into Nova of all people, and I think they're kicking around a Nova idea now too," McKay said on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. The comments might be a result of being involved with certain conversations the public and press are not necessarily privy to, however, the thought might be fueled by Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige's statement in an interview with ComicBook.com.

"Nova is… if we have a big board with a bunch of characters that have more immediate potential, Nova is on that board," Feige told ComicBook.com ahead of Avengers: Infinity War's release. "Because of the connection to the Guardians universe, because there are more than one examples to pull from in the comics that are interesting. And you’re absolutely right, he was in the earliest drafts of the [Guardians of the Galaxy]."

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/20/nova-movie-marvel-studios-adam-mckay/

Edited by ygogolak

51 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

I must have been one of the 10-20 people who liked Nova.  I bought the first issue and immediately ordered a subscription.  I remember being bummed out when issue #25 arrived and it said "He's gone!  The Human Rocket".  Still have all 25 issues!

Marv Wolfman and Carmine Infantino... if people opened it once in a while, I'm sure they'd like it too! :)

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Exactly, what is your window for evaluating value? Just like stocks, you can look at the last week, last 90 days or last 5 years.

In 2009 there was one 9.8 sale for $66. In 2018 there was a sale for $659. Is the book tanking?

I have not been watching 42 because I somehow don't own one. Early in the year it seems folks were happy fishing decent raw copies out and flipping them for $50-60? An unscientific observation is that They seem to be selling for that now. Dunno about 9.8s. That market may be more volatile and is heavily influenced by more copies getting pressed and/or slabbed once it hits a certain 9.4-9.8 slabbed price point. That alone pushes down pricing even with constant demand. They'll make a boba fett movie at some point. Solo tanked due to stupid planning. Too close to other blockbusters. Too close to a baaaad star wars movie... They need to be a year apart, sorry. Had solo been released in December it would not have been a bust.

16 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have not been watching 42 because I somehow don't own one. Early in the year it seems folks were happy fishing decent raw copies out and flipping them for $50-60? An unscientific observation is that They seem to be selling for that now. Dunno about 9.8s. That market may be more volatile and is heavily influenced by more copies getting pressed and/or slabbed once it hits a certain 9.4-9.8 slabbed price point. That alone pushes down pricing even with constant demand. They'll make a boba fett movie at some point. Solo tanked due to stupid planning. Too close to other blockbusters. Too close to a baaaad star wars movie... They need to be a year apart, sorry. Had solo been released in December it would not have been a bust.

If I'm interpreting Valiantman's site correctly, there were only 4 9.8's added in the past year.

3 hours ago, makeminemarvel said:

I must have been one of the 10-20 people who liked Nova.  I bought the first issue and immediately ordered a subscription.  I remember being bummed out when issue #25 arrived and it said "He's gone!  The Human Rocket".  Still have all 25 issues!

One of the first series I collected as a kid, at least until issue 17, when they stopped distributing the title to the UK. :frown:

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

22 hours ago, the blob said:

Ah.......I see what the issue is as we are just looking at the same book through a different set of eyes.

It would appear that you are probably viewing it more through the eyes of a speculator (i.e. day trader type in the stock market) and hoping to make some money on the book as it swings between its speculative highs and lows.  Since I am definitely much more of a long term collector (i.e. Warren Buffet type in the stock market) and as such, just hope to recover my money when it comes time for me to sell my books.  Nothing wrong with either approach as it's really a case of "to each their own".  (thumbsu

Reminds me of the first time that I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's and many of the dealers were asking $1K for the so-called "rare" Platinum Edition of Todd McFarlane's Spidey 1.  Against the advice of most of the hype dealers down there, I decided to opt for the HG copies of Cap 29 and Cap 31 which I found instead at the full guide price of a combined $1K for both books.  Needless to say, many of those hype dealers laughed and thought I was a complete fool to buy those old GA books which collectors will have forgotten about in 10 years time when they are all dead and gone.  Especially when I could have picked up a copy of Spidey 1 by McFarlane who was destined to be a superstar in the industry and a book which would never ever see $1,000 again.  (:

Well, they was definitely correct about that last comment as the Spidey 1 is certainly nowhere close to $1,000.  In fact, it now lists for only $195 in top of guide and I would probably be lucky to get that in the open market today.  On the other hand, the 2 Cap's now list for over $15K at top of guide and would probably have no problem fetching more than that in the open market today.  :whee:

I guess it turned out good to be a lazy collector here as spending time in the market worked out better than trying to time the market in this particular case.  hm

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Spider Man #1 Platinum in 9.8 can fetch $1,800 and has the last two years. When it came out, grading was not a typical thing. But I agree, you made the right choice.

Any idea what the Platinum Spidey #1 in CGC 9.2 would be going for in today's marketplace?  hm

Definitely don't make the right choices most of the time as when I decided to go with that signed and so-called limited edition of the Dark Knight by Miller for $40, and said a big fat NO to ordering a copy straight from the publisher of what appeared to be an ugly looking and crudely drawn copy of TMNT #1 for what seem like an outrageous $300.  doh!

Still feel that I made the right choice from a personal collecting and artistic preference point of view.  But definitely not so much from a financial and/or speculative point of view, it would seem.  Oh well, to each their own as I guess I still much prefer Miller's work over Eastman and Laird's work though.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea what the Platinum Spidey #1 in CGC 9.2 would be going for in today's marketplace?  hm

Definitely don't make the right choices most of the time as when I decided to go with that signed and so-called limited edition of the Dark Knight by Miller for $40, and said a big fat NO to ordering a copy straight from the publisher of what appeared to be an ugly looking and crudely drawn copy of TMNT #1 for what seem like an outrageous $300.  doh!

Still feel that I made the right choice from a personal collecting and artistic preference point of view.  But definitely not so much from a financial and/or speculative point of view, it would seem.  Oh well, to each their own as I guess I still much prefer Miller's work over Eastman and Laird's work though.  (thumbsu

$350-400. Maybe more.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

$350-400. Maybe more.

Well then, most definitely glad I just had to pay cover price for the regular edition then, as opposed to over paying for these limited variant editions which hasn't really moved anywhere in terms of valuation after almost 3 decades. :p