• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, FlyingDonut said:

:roflmao:The spec books I have left are the ones that missed. Would you like 500 copies of Man of Steel 1? I'm sure somebody would. How about 100 copies of John Carter 1?

I bought a collection from a guy who did that - he had speculated on late 1970s and early 1980s Marvel first appearances. 50 copies of Star Wars 1? Yes please! 100 copies of She-Hulk 1? Yes please!

100 copies of John Carter 1 and 2 and 3 and 4? 500 copies of Tarzan 1? At least when the apocalypse comes I can use a Tarzan 1 to light a fire.

You can't get rid of those boy by bit in $1-$2 boxes at shows or do you not sell at shows? I'd probably buy a couple of nice Tarzan 1s at that price.

Edited by the blob

On 3/1/2019 at 7:29 AM, The-Collector said:

Iron Fist 14 seems to be heating up in HG. 

IF149-8W.png

And people round here squawked when Stevie B. bought my raw 9.8 copy for $450 way back when. :whistle:

On 3/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, divad said:

And people round here squawked when Stevie B. bought my raw 9.8 copy for $450 way back when. :whistle:

raw 10.0's are hot

Years ago I bought hunted and bought this issue in the best condition I could find it (before slabbing) at a convention. 

I still haven't bothered to get it graded, like so many other mint-near mint books that I have.  

I didn't even know about the variant cover.  Wish I had gotten that one now.  

On 2/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, mrwoogieman said:
On 1/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, mrwoogieman said:

Looks like three 9.6 copies have sold for around $1,000 each this month, and someone put up a 9.8 on eBay this week with a BIN/Best Offer at $3,999! It does have White pages, but still... :whatthe:

Someone pounced on that 9.8 last week for $3,500! New all time high price.

:whatthe:

edit to add, I think the census drag on this book is because it is from 1973 and doesn't make the modern tier. Now that it's moving up, more will be showing up!

Well, it appears that they had 4 different copies of SME 15 in the just recently completed CL Winter Auction.  :gossip:

It looks like the first CGC 9.8 graded copy from last Thursday managed to fetch $3,500 while the second CGC 9.8 graded copy managed to fetch only $2,500 this past Monday.  I guess it pays to be a bit patient sometimes, although I believe it worked the opposite way last time as the movie announcement came out over the weekend right in between the 2 auctions.

Looks like the CGC 9.6 graded copy sold for just a bit over $1K while the 9.4 copy graded by the other guys across the street managed to fetch close to $600.  It would appear that the CC Auction due to end next week has only this 1 copy available sitting at a price of only $155 for now:

spe14.155a.jpg

Even with the white spine (at least it looks relatively straight), my bet is that it will manage to climb past Overstreet's top of guide valuation of $300 where he seems to have had this book pegged at for almost the entire decade.  I guess it's finally going to break out of its multi-decade funk   :taptaptap:  with talks of the Shang-Chi movie being fast tracked for development and production.  (thumbsu

On 3/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, it appears that they had 4 different copies of SME 15 in the just recently completed CL Winter Auction.  :gossip:

It looks like the first CGC 9.8 graded copy from last Thursday managed to fetch $3,500 while the second CGC 9.8 graded copy managed to fetch only $2,500 this past Monday.  I guess it pays to be a bit patient sometimes, although I believe it worked the opposite way last time as the movie announcement came out over the weekend right in between the 2 auctions.

Looks like the CGC 9.6 graded copy sold for just a bit over $1K while the 9.4 copy graded by the other guys across the street managed to fetch close to $600.  It would appear that the CC Auction due to end next week has only this 1 copy available sitting at a price of only $155 for now:

spe14.155a.jpg

Even with the white spine (at least it looks relatively straight), my bet is that it will manage to climb past Overstreet's top of guide valuation of $300 where he seems to have had this book pegged at for almost the entire decade.  I guess it's finally going to break out of its multi-decade funk   :taptaptap:  with talks of the Shang-Chi movie being fast tracked for development and production.  (thumbsu

I'm just biding my time...

img954.jpg

11 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

I'm just biding my time...

img954.jpg

Biding your time when the last sale was $3500, are you crazy?  What do you expect to get out of this....first appearance of Iron Fist GPA is less than $3500, do you think it's worth more than that?  Man even at $2500 I'd be doing :banana:

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Biding your time when the last sale was $3500, are you crazy?  What do you expect to get out of this....first appearance of Iron Fist GPA is less than $3500, do you think it's worth more than that?  Man even at $2500 I'd be doing :banana:

I think many of us are waiting for the first trailer to drop before unloading.  

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I think many of us are waiting for the first trailer to drop before unloading.  

Is it just me, or does this seem like a pretty extra common book for its era? Koch had badjillions of them, which makes me think warehouse finds. it was an easy $5-$10 books on ebay for a long time, not in 9.8, but nice copies. I could not get 1/3 of guide for years for 9.0 - 9.4 copies. I know, things change. I can't believe how many of these I unloaded for 1/4 - 1/3 or less of guide.

15 hours ago, the blob said:

Is it just me, or does this seem like a pretty extra common book for its era? Koch had badjillions of them, which makes me think warehouse finds. it was an easy $5-$10 books on ebay for a long time, not in 9.8, but nice copies. I could not get 1/3 of guide for years for 9.0 - 9.4 copies. I know, things change. I can't believe how many of these I unloaded for 1/4 - 1/3 or less of guide.

I don't think these 9.8 prices are sustainable at all, this is just not a popular character.  We all know speculators drive a lot of the market for books but at least with other characters, like Iron Fist, there's a bit more interest in the character.  We'll see, maybe I'm wrong and in a 1-2 years the book in 9.8 and 9.6 will be selling for more than where it is now but I doubt it.

6 hours ago, spreads said:

I don't think these 9.8 prices are sustainable at all, this is just not a popular character.  We all know speculators drive a lot of the market for books but at least with other characters, like Iron Fist, there's a bit more interest in the character.  We'll see, maybe I'm wrong and in a 1-2 years the book in 9.8 and 9.6 will be selling for more than where it is now but I doubt it.

The long term value will be based on public reaction. If the movie is big the first appearance books value will go up. If the movie sucks it will go down. Examples Guardians vs Suicide Squad. This book could go real big, think about the combo of international markets combined with James Bond style action. Best of both martial arts and spy movies. James Bond did this in the seventies and it worked. I feel the speculation is appropriate in this book. 

15 hours ago, spreads said:
On 3/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, the blob said:

Is Ed Koch still alive? If not, he's rolling over in his grave . . . :nyah:

It's a tough black cover in HG, but I'd be really tempted at $3600.

And @spreads, you if anyone knows what to do as to when to sell. :bigsmile:

I work in the film industry, I have for over 30 year, the oversea market is the largest film market currently. More money is made outside of the USA than in. This will be an action movie aimed at that market. It will be big, how long it remains big will be based on reaction to the finished film. I plan on selling a few of my books as soon as the advertising starts. I collect but I also sell to pay for my collecting. So again I will sell off a few books at that time. Now as a fan I'm real excited about this project. The Iron Fist show suffered by poor producing and not enough pre production work. It was produced and shot to quickly and the end product showed it.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, Grib said:

The long term value will be based on public reaction. If the movie is big the first appearance books value will go up. If the movie sucks it will go down. Examples Guardians vs Suicide Squad. This book could go real big, think about the combo of international markets combined with James Bond style action. Best of both martial arts and spy movies. James Bond did this in the seventies and it worked. I feel the speculation is appropriate in this book. 

Let's put this in a relative scope, the long term values of all comics are based on a variety of factors I asked if this book should be selling for more than MP #15 - First appearance of Iron Fist.  And it currently is at those prices, is that sustainable?  This is the best way to evaluate how 'big' this book can be, first appearances of Marvel's other bronze age superheroes.  This isn't a title like Ghost Rider with a strong following and long publishing arm, this character has been pretty dead for awhile....

Edited by spreads

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Aweandlorder said:

I think a lot of people see this more as a "first marvel Asian superhero movie" than another iron fist exploitation. A lot of speculators hope this will scoreas high as black panther did with African Americans, only with Asians this time. 

I'm not saying this is an exploitation of Iron Fist, I'm comparing Iron Fist because it's the first appearance of another Marvel superhero around the same time period.  I'm not going to compare this comic to Marvel Spotlight 5, WW32, ASM 129, etc. because all those comparisons would be a complete joke. 

16 hours ago, jharvey said:

Avengers #195 and #196 (1st Taskmaster) has been selling like crazy on eBay over the last couple days.

I had a copy that I haven't been able to sell locally for the longest time at $35, better change that sticker!