• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

I'd be surprised it it ever takes a huge leap, maybe slow, minor upward growth over the long term. Hard to see Man-Thing breaking out in the movies to become an A-List character, and magazine 1st appearances traditionally don't have the cachet of comic book first appearances. Who knows though, crazy things happen all the time.

5 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I'd be surprised it it ever takes a huge leap, maybe slow, minor upward growth over the long term. Hard to see Man-Thing breaking out in the movies to become an A-List character, and magazine 1st appearances traditionally don't have the cachet of comic book first appearances. Who knows though, crazy things happen all the time.

Ya like a dead character no one cares about from the 70s suddenly hitting sales of 4k in CGC 9.8.

5 hours ago, Iqc23 said:

I just got a savage tales 1 cgc 9.6. 1st Man Thing also iconic Conan cover. What you guys believe is the future for this book spec wise?

I've always loved that Magazine, it was an out of reach key to a young collector back in the 1970's. Back in the day (mid 1970s) it was one of the more expensive books around and then it just kept becoming less and less important. It seems over the last few years it has started climbing again.

I've mentioned this before but back in the late 70s/early 80s my older brother took some original comic art to trade to the local flea market guy. He ended up getting  to choose between a high grade Savage Tales #1 or a lower grade Amazing Fantasy 15.

Yep, he took home that Savage Tales #1.

4 hours ago, spreads said:

Ya like a dead character no one cares about from the 70s suddenly hitting sales of 4k in CGC 9.8.

Anything can happen in this marketplace, but as a magazine collector, it's always been one of my all-time faves.

4 hours ago, boomtown said:

I've always loved that Magazine, it was an out of reach key to a young collector back in the 1970's. Back in the day (mid 1970s) it was one of the more expensive books around and then it just kept becoming less and less important. It seems over the last few years it has started climbing again.

I've mentioned this before but back in the late 70s/early 80s my older brother took some original comic art to trade to the local flea market guy. He ended up getting  to choose between a high grade Savage Tales #1 or a lower grade Amazing Fantasy 15.

Yep, he took home that Savage Tales #1.

Yes, I remember paying something like $60 for an HG copy of this magazine way back in the day all those long decades ago.  doh!

Needless to say, it has significantly under performed as compared to many other books which I could have used that money to acquire at the time.  Thank goodness that I should at least be able to break even when it comes time for me to find and turf this dud (financial wise that is) of a book out from my collection.  Other than that, it's actually a pretty nice book to have since I believe I might possibly even have the rest of the early run up to issue #6 or thereabouts.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Giant size x-men 1 is such a hot book right now!

It will always be one of those books that will hold value, as there are only a finite amount in top grade. The price may fluctuate but it is a safe bet and one part of the Bronze Trinity that also consists of Amazing Spider-Man #129 and Hulk #181.

X-Men #94 in top grade with WHITE pages (no mean feat, for some reason many of the top specimens are OW-W) is also a good choice. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - I remember selling that book for $200 in 2017

I bough an $89 BIN 9.8 in 2010 which I remember was on the more expensive BIN side but I liked how it presented. Seller added a raw NM/Mint copy which seemed like a nice bonus, not like he was giving away $$. Bought a Stan Lee SS 9.8 in 2014 for $400.

3 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

I'm shocked to see Savage She-Hulk #1 9.8's hitting $400-500 now. There are only a few BINs on ebay and all asking $500-600.

I guess it is Bronze.

For me it is Copper. The Bronze ended in my mind with the 35 cent variants.