• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, cd4ever said:

Don't underestimate the Asian market. It's massive.  

1st time Asian and massive have ever been said in the same sentence.

27 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Does the amount of money the movie makes directly affect the value of the comic?  This next phase of the movies looks weird to me, a bunch of cosmic stuff and then kung fu?

The success of the movie seems to have a direct correlation with how much the 1st appearance tank after the movie comes out.  A block busters like Black Panther or the show The Boys seems to be the only way to insure books continue to go up after the movie comes out.

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Does the amount of money the movie makes directly affect the value of the comic?  This next phase of the movies looks weird to me, a bunch of cosmic stuff and then kung fu?

the last part of Moench/Gulacy's run on Master Of Kung Fu had him fighting his undead brother Shaka Karn and Fu Manchu on a space station. :) really quirky even then. Loved it. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, Logan510 said:

Sunfire didn't have his own title. MOKF lasted until issue #125 and had a nice long run for a niche book like that.

I like MOKF, it was pretty "deep" for the times...though as far as martial arts comics go I've always preferred Iron Fist.

Marvel was able to take c-list characters in GOTG and turn them into an a-list property. They probably feel that anything they put out will be gold 2c

It doesn't need to be a billion dollar box office. If they can spend $100-125 million (and let's be honest, how much can they possibly be paying Jackie chan or akwafina? shang chi is played by a nobody. and this shouldn't be a CGI heavy movie) and have a $500 million box office all will be good/great. ant man did less and got a sequal.

Edited by the blob

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, Hamlet said:

Well, it depends on how successful the movie is in generating new sustainable collector interest.  Iron man was a 3rd tier character with little collector interest before the movies made him a 1st tier character, IMO.  He translates well to the big screen and RDJ made him more interesting than the comics ever did.  That translated into sustainable long term collector interest.  Take it from someone who sold an Iron Man 1 into the first initial movie interest.  🙂

Likewise, FF 52 went from a very minor key to a pretty major one based on what appears to be real, long term, sustained demand created from the interest in the movies ( although it is still a little early to be 100% sure on that ).

People buying SME 15 right now for the long term are betting that the movie will generate similar sustained increased demand in the character.  I have bet against that by putting my copy up for sale, but only time will tell who is right.  Who would have thought that people would still be paying real money for Guardians of the Galaxy books years after the movie?  Certainly not me. 🙂

FF 52 was $425 in raw 9.2 in the 2005 guide, so not totally minor. As for whether Iron Man had collector interest,,,TOS 39-42 weren't chap books and neither was Iron Man 1. Other than 55, 116 and 128, do folks care about the other issues?

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Just the mere mention of the possibility of a character being in a movie make the book go up, if the movie is poop, it goes down again, or if there are no more saddo's who want to buy it. 

30 minutes ago, the blob said:

FF 52 was $425 in raw 9.2 in the 2005 guide, so not totally minor. As for whether Iron Man had collector interest,,,TOS 39-42 weren't chap books and neither was Iron Man 1. Other than 55, 116 and 128, do folks care about the other issues?

Sure, which meant you could probably get a VG copy for less than $50 pretty easily.  It cost less than a 27, 28, or 50.  It probably cost twice as much as a 51 or 55.  Now a VG copy would cost nearly ten times as much as it did then.  The other books have gone up, but not anywhere near as much.  It went from a minor key to one that was nearly on par with FF 48 until that book exploded recently.

Iron Man 1 has gone up by an order of magnitude as well.  They weren’t big keys back then.  I found a VGish Iron Man 1 with color touch (ball point pen on the cover creases) at a local convention in early 2011 for $15.  I flipped it to someone on the boards for less than $50.  That seemed like a lot to me for that book, because it had gone up some already from the movie hype.  I was obviously a little early in selling it. 🙂

Edited by Hamlet

4 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Don't underestimate the Asian market. It's massive.  

And wealthy.

Will clear $1B world-wide easily. 

The MCU’s biggest hits, aside from Avengers-related movies, are Captain Marvel (first female lead) and BP (first black lead). (See also: DCU’s Wonder Woman.) A lot of underestimating in this thread of the power of representation and inclusiveness. Comparing these films to SM and Ant-Man is kinda silly. 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, zosocane said:

I'm bullish on the long-term prospects of Shang-Chi and SME 15.  Assuming the opening movie is good and Marvel Studios makes another $1 billion or so with it (likely) -- in other words, assuming the character is embraced by audiences here and abroad -- Shang will be in the pop culture consciousness for the decade of the 2020s.  Kevin Feige is clearly teeing the character up to open the door for Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and then eventually Daredevil, Punisher and the other Marvel "street-level" fighters on the big screen.  And they will intersect with Blade and the Marvel 'monster-verse,' including Man-Thing.  Shang-Chi, with Dr. Strange, will anchor these new "Avengers" or "Defenders" (don't be surprised if we get a Defenders movie).  Thus, SME 15 is going to be a solid book for the next decade, most certainly in VF+ and higher.  And Shang-Chi will usher in a new embrace over all things martial arts, much like what we had in the early- to mid-70s with Bruce Lee and to a lesser degree in the mid-80s with Karate Kid.  Except that Marvel will find away to make martial arts ever cooler, and all the local Dojos around the country will be over-registered with kids wanting to learn Karate.  Remember how bad- this guy was 40+ years ago?  It's coming full circle in the 2020s, brothers.

tenor.gif?itemid=11347019

If someone 7 years ago would have told me TTA 13 would become a key, I would have laughed.  Very few pre-2013 reported GPA activity for TTA 13 because nobody wanted to slab them; they were essentially illiquid.  (A CGC 4.0 sold in 2009 for $43.)  Or Iron Man 55?  In 2011 (and for years before it), a 9.2 was a flat $300 book; today it's a $1,500 book.  And Groot and Thanos are just supporting characters in the MCU.

Great post. 

16 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

And wealthy.

The MCU’s biggest hits, aside from Avengers-related movies, are Captain Marvel (first female lead) and BP (first black lead). (See also: DCU’s Wonder Woman.) A lot of underestimating in this thread of the power of representation and inclusiveness. Comparing these films to SM and Ant-Man is kinda silly. 

Please also look at the box office for "Crazy Rich Asians", which, while being a amusing movie, is a pretty basic love story.

20 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Please also look at the box office for "Crazy Rich Asians", which, while being a amusing movie, is a pretty basic love story.

I just looked.  It didn’t actually do well in Asia.  It’s box office outside of the US was only $64 million.  

4 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I just looked.  It didn’t actually do well in Asia.  It’s box office outside of the US was only $64 million.  

Crazy Rich Asians did 1.5 Million in China

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/crazy-rich-asians-box-office-flop-china-181213051542239.html

40 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

And wealthy.

I think assuming a movie is going to be a massive hit 18 months out simply because it features an Asian MCU character is pretty silly too.  

I think it is reasonably likely that Endgame will mark the peak of interest in Superhero movies. 

3 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I think assuming a movie is going to be a massive hit 18 months out simply because it features an Asian MCU character is pretty silly too.  

I think it is reasonably likely that Endgame will mark the peak of interest in Superhero movies. 

Seeing as Avengers:Endgame is the highest grossing movie of all time, that is a relatively good call.

36 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I agree. I have a hard time imagining that the country which gave us Ip Man is going to fall all over themselves to go see MOKF.

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Sure, which meant you could probably get a VG copy for less than $50 pretty easily.  It cost less than a 27, 28, or 50.  It probably cost twice as much as a 51 or 55.  Now a VG copy would cost nearly ten times as much as it did then.  The other books have gone up, but not anywhere near as much.  It went from a minor key to one that was nearly on par with FF 48 until that book exploded recently.

Iron Man 1 has gone up by an order of magnitude as well.  They weren’t big keys back then.  I found a VGish Iron Man 1 with color touch (ball point pen on the cover creases) at a local convention in early 2011 for $15.  I flipped it to someone on the boards for less than $50.  That seemed like a lot to me for that book, because it had gone up some already from the movie hype.  I was obviously a little early in selling it. 🙂

When did 27 28 or 50 ever cost anywhere near 1?? I honestly can't tell you how much a VG 1 cost in 2005. $50 sounds about right. I do remember selling them in late 2006/early 2007 for triple digits when I was selling line crazy to pay for my house, but I guess the movie was announced by then. If a VG is $500 now that is Cray!! Super common book. Wow.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

When did 27 28 or 50 ever cost anywhere near 1?? I honestly can't tell you how much a VG 1 cost in 2005. $50 sounds about right. I do remember selling them in late 2006/early 2007 for triple digits when I was selling line crazy to pay for my house, but I guess the movie was announced by then. If a VG is $500 now that is Cray!! Super common book. Wow.

The 27, 28, and 50 were FFs comparing to FF 52.  They all cost more than an FF 52 back in the day if I remember right.

I don’t think a VG IM 1 was $50 in 2005.  It was quite a bit less, because in 2011 it had been a hot book since the movie and had gone up quite a bit. 

It looks to me like IM is about $250 in VG currently.