• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

A vg iron man 1 is more like $300. Still nuts. I sold vg tos 53s around 2004/5 for like $20. I cringe now.

Yup.  What is crazy to me is that the 1968 issues of Cap100/IH102/Sub1 go for more than the issues of TTA and TOS that started those characters’ runs that are several years older, and frankly more important books, IMO.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Please also look at the box office for "Crazy Rich Asians", which, while being a amusing movie, is a pretty basic love story.

And the huge success of Always Be My Maybe on Netflix. Asians and Asian Americans will throw a ton of support (and money) at an MCU movie featuring an Asian lead (even an “unknown,” like someone mentioned above...Cedric Bozeman wasn’t exactly a household name before BP, so...)

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I just looked.  It didn’t actually do well in Asia.  It’s box office outside of the US was only $64 million.  

Valid point. But US rom-coms don’t draw international audiences like MCU movies do.

Will be interesting to see how Disney’s live-action Mulan fares. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:30 PM, Hamlet said:

I think it is reasonably likely that Endgame will mark the peak of interest in Superhero movies. 

Fantastic Four, Surfer, Doom, Galactus, Inhumans, Annihilus, Adam Warlock, Nova, X-Men, Wolverine, Namor, Blade, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, all waiting for Marvel Studios to bring them to life.  And the Hulk, Thor, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, the Guardians, and Captain Marvel will all be there to lead the way. 

I think the best is yet to come.

Edited by zosocane

22 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Yup.  What is crazy to me is that the 1968 issues of Cap100/IH102/Sub1 go for more than the issues of TTA and TOS that started those characters’ runs that are several years older, and frankly more important books, IMO.

Collectors have always gravitated towards a "#1". It just took longer for people to realize that it doesn't necessarily have to say "#1".

I don't have skin in this game (I have one and I'm not selling it) but I would not underestimate how well a good Shang Chi movie can do. For the same reason I think we will see Jimmy Woo in some form sooner rather than later, Marvel would love to get a couple of chinese led franchises. I think we saw how well Crazy Rich Asians did relative to its genre and reportedly how well To All The Boys I've Loved before did for Netflix and one can see stateside there is a base for asian american films and China is a giant market. I could see tremendous goodwill behind a project like this if we get a trailer that looks good. I'd also expect some sort of  Black Panther-like previous appearance before his own film that will get people excited.

Wu Assassins is fine but I'm not sure how its existence tells us anything, there's also a lot of comic related shows on TV and it hasn't stopped people going to see the MCU films. I understand that we are in a period of tv renaissance but MCU and Disney seem to have navigated opening films fairly well in this environment. 

I don't think it has to make a billion dollars (a lot of the Marvel films do not but are still very profitable), I think it could do half of that and still be a boon for Marvel if it does that and is well regarded. There is a lot of opportunity here if it does well, maybe even drawing out some of these chinese and maybe later korean auteur directors to come do a Marvel film which would be pretty badass as they have a visual style that we just don't see here.

What is more well known isn't always a shoe-in for China. Star Wars for instance tends to underperform expectations in China. 

If they make a great martial arts film in the MCU I would not be shocked at all if it did well.

I also think with Marvel looking to a lot of space based projects this could be a nice foothold for more street level characters,

Edited by JayT

On 9/6/2019 at 10:18 AM, ygogolak said:

$1 billion for Shang-Chi? Spider-Man barely made $1 billion with the last movie which was well received and a heck or a lot more well known worldwide than Shang-Chi.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, cd4ever said:

Don't underestimate the Asian market. It's massive.  

On 9/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Naphtha said:

I think you underestimate the Chinese audience. This is long overdue and will be massive.

Don't OVERestimate a character that nobody outside of comics has ever heard of. And that's people that are pretty deep in comics. If you ask someone off the street who's into comics, they even have probably not heard of Shang-Chi.

13 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Had they heard of Black Panther?

Black Panther is more recognizable than Shang-Chi, yes.

Is the correlation you're making that people will flock to a movie because it is the first time their race / gender has been featured?

38 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Is the correlation you're making that people will flock to a movie because it is the first time their race / gender has been featured?

I think there is a possibility that the community will embrace a character that is more culturally reflective of themselves, regardless of whether the character had high name recognition. BP had very little recognition outside the comics community for the first 40 years of his existence. 

9 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I think there is a possibility that the community will embrace a character that is more culturally reflective of themselves, regardless of whether the character had high name recognition. BP had very little recognition outside the comics community for the first 40 years of his existence. 

This is 100%. The ascension of the Fast franchise I think illustrates this. Black Panther was definitely a thing when it came out beyond just another Marvel release. I know if they made film based on someone who looked liked me or came from a similar background I'd be extra amped to go see it. I think Spider-Verse hit a chord with a lot of people for similar reasons. I know when taking young kids in my family to Force Awakens and them seeing Rey was a  HUGE emotional thing to them (same with Wonder Woman and this is why when I see people with all the negative opinions I sometimes wonder how a movie can truly bother 45 year old men and yet they don't pay attention to the room). When you are historically not represented in things you support/love, when you are it def means things to people

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Huge Point Black Panther Debuted and had a Prominent Role in Civil War ...BEFORE his Solo Film!

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Don't OVERestimate a character that nobody outside of comics has ever heard of. And that's people that are pretty deep in comics. If you ask someone off the street who's into comics, they even have probably not heard of Shang-Chi.

NOBODY outside of comics knew who Captain Marvel was (and even inside comics you might get several different answers).

1st movie, solo movie, bam, Billion $

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Huge Point Black Panther Debuted and had a Prominent Role in Civil War ...BEFORE his Solo Film!

Was also well embedded in the cartoons

Shang chi is just another martial Arts guy unless the story is really good. If it's a good movie it will do well. I think they may have done better with a more handsome lead tho. Bruce Lee was a good looking guy. The dude from crouching Tiger looks like a movie star. This guy not so much. Gotta get the ladies interested too!

Edited by the blob

A great villain will always make for a great and unforgettable movie (Heath Ledger's Joker, Michael B. Jordan's Kilmonger, and Thanos just to name a few).

I believe we don't give enough credit to the supporting character's in a lot of the comparisons.  Most of the comics are directly affected by the announcement 

of upcoming movies but take a look at the prices on some of the first appearances in comics for the baddies that have done well on the big screen in these releases.

I really believe that a Shang Chi film that does justice to Fu Manchu and is written well could be the equivalent to the Dark Knight Trilogy.  

You have the son (The living weapon) of the most powerful Super Rich underworld bad guy in all of Asia and they are mortal enemies.

Introduce all of the Rogue's Gallery from the pages of Master of Kung Fu and throw in an Iron Fist crossover & Colleen Wing.

I'm ready to buy my tickets!

i don't think you can conflate the entire "Asian market" like that, especially for films.  as far as "heroes" are concerned, each country has their own cultural definitions, history and legends - many of which involve their hero vanquishing another Asian country.  I dunno how popular Bruce Lee was in Japan after he went in and kicked that entire Japanese dojo's azz in The Chinese Connection.

to say that there is an "Asian character" means that the whole of Asia will flock to see it is a fallacy.  i think the Chinese market mayyyyy gravitate to it, depending on how well it's done, casting, etc.  i can easily see the movie doing meh overseas.

i do think it will be a moneymaker for Marvel, though, because the number of people who will flock to see well-done martial arts is legion.  i can only hope and pray they not only keep the wirework down, but use the Shaw Brothers style of showing fights full-scene, rather than what we mostly have now...a bunch of rapid cuts and reaction shots

15 minutes ago, Sal said:

i don't think you can conflate the entire "Asian market" like that, especially for films.  as far as "heroes" are concerned, each country has their own cultural definitions, history and legends - many of which involve their hero vanquishing another Asian country.  I dunno how popular Bruce Lee was in Japan after he went in and kicked that entire Japanese dojo's azz in The Chinese Connection.

to say that there is an "Asian character" means that the whole of Asia will flock to see it is a fallacy.  i think the Chinese market mayyyyy gravitate to it, depending on how well it's done, casting, etc.  i can easily see the movie doing meh overseas.

i do think it will be a moneymaker for Marvel, though, because the number of people who will flock to see well-done martial arts is legion.  i can only hope and pray they not only keep the wirework down, but use the Shaw Brothers style of showing fights full-scene, rather than what we mostly have now...a bunch of rapid cuts and reaction shots

When people say they the asian market they usually mean the Chinese market because it is so huge and had been untapped/restricted for years (and in some ways still is). While obviously not preferred a movie can tank in Japan and Korea and still do well, these studios want to see that big debut in China. Japan is kind of its own market. End Game, the biggest movie ever, made around $60 million there, meanwhile Weathering With You (an anime) has more than doubled that this year and Aladdin has done the same.

I do understand what you are saying (I'm half asian and don't particularly care about Chinese people in cinema in the sense it is some sort of anomaly, I've seen that forever etc) but as it pertains to the united states and asian americans I can see almost any representation going over well. We are in a place where that still has value and currency just because we've seen so little representation. It's why I can watch a show on netflix about korean american teenagers and relate to it because many americans in parts of country tend to view all asian-Americans the same (well, at least east asians), so I recognized all of same things being half-japanese and spending time in the states etc.

But sure none of this matters unless the film is good or at least feels like an MCU film and what Ryan Coogler did with Back Panther isn't an easy task. 

I've never really thought about it but I'd guess Japan is fairly neutral on Bruce Lee and they may appreciate an action film starring a chinese character that isn't grossly anti-japanese (or they may not).