• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I think there is a possibility that the community will embrace a character that is more culturally reflective of themselves, regardless of whether the character had high name recognition. BP had very little recognition outside the comics community for the first 40 years of his existence. 

20 hours ago, jcjames said:

NOBODY outside of comics knew who Captain Marvel was (and even inside comics you might get several different answers).

1st movie, solo movie, bam, Billion $

Black Panther and Captain Marvel hit those numbers more because of their cultural importance. I think that's what Sean is trying to say about Shang-Chi.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, the blob said:

shang chi is played by a nobody

Simu Liu is pretty well known in markets as diverse as Canada, Korea and Singapore. Don’t confuse the fact that you don’t know him with the idea that he’s unknown. In fact, in casting him, Marvel may be tipping its hand that the film’s marketing strategy is less about the US than it is about the international market, as many others have suggested here.

Overall, it also seems that the approach here seems NOT to be to cast the next Robert Downey Jr., but to find the next Chris Pratt and turn him into a star.

45 minutes ago, Brock said:

Simu Liu is pretty well known in markets as diverse as Canada, Korea and Singapore. Don’t confuse the fact that you don’t know him with the idea that he’s unknown. In fact, in casting him, Marvel may be tipping its hand that the film’s marketing strategy is less about the US than it is about the international market, as many others have suggested here.

Overall, it also seems that the approach here seems NOT to be to cast the next Robert Downey Jr., but to find the next Chris Pratt and turn him into a star.

If they are marketing to Canada, Korea, and Singapore they have a problem. And Chinese audiences may be pissed that he is played by a Korean. With that said, maybe he has the martial arts to back it up? I think my issue is he is relatively unknown and kind of ordinary looking. I wonder if manny Jacinto could have pulled it off? He's a hottie.

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, Brock said:

I am Canadian and who is Simu Liu? (shrug)

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

I see he is on some Kim's Convenience show on CBC? That is why I have no clue who he is. Who watches anything on CBC now?

Hey, don't bring your anti-CBC Alburrrtah bias into this thread!  :makepoint:

I've seen a few episodes of that show, it's actually quite good - a lot better than a good chunk of the Netflix/Starz/Crave content...

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I see he is on some Kim's Convenience show on CBC? That is why I have no clue who he is. Who watches anything on CBC now?

Numeris (Canadian equivalent to Neilsen) estimates about 1,000,000 viewers weekly in Canada, plus it streams on Netflix.

2 hours ago, spreads said:

Hey, don't bring your anti-CBC Alburrrtah bias into this thread!  :makepoint:

I've seen a few episodes of that show, it's actually quite good - a lot better than a good chunk of the Netflix/Starz/Crave content...

No anti-CBC bias here as I grew up on Wayne & Schuster and HNIC, but I have not watched anything non-sports related from that station in a decade or two. Good to see they have something worthwhile now.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Seriously ?  This show is frickin' hilarious dude, give it a try!  Too bad Opa can't get a major Hollywood roll, he's the real star of Kim's Convenience.

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

Seriously ?  This show is frickin' hilarious dude, give it a try!  Too bad Opa can't get a major Hollywood roll, he's the real star of Kim's Convenience.

Schitt's Creek is by far the best show on CBC.

ANd they'll have to be extremely lucky for MOKF to top 1B.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:00 PM, Hamlet said:

Yup.  What is crazy to me is that the 1968 issues of Cap100/IH102/Sub1 go for more than the issues of TTA and TOS that started those characters’ runs that are several years older, and frankly more important books, IMO.

These are iconic books.

”Big Premiere Issues” will always be highly sought.

45 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

These are iconic books.

”Big Premiere Issues” will always be highly sought.

They are the first Marvel reboot issues.  Let’s throw a cool cover and a new #1 ( or a title change ) on an ongoing series and sell it to the rubes. 🙂

I’m just trolling ( kinda ), but I’d rather collect the TOS and TTA issues that precede them.  Just as cool books, there are less of them, and they generally cost less money unless they are actually keys ( unlike the “Big Premiere Issues” - oops, I’m trolling again ) 🙂

9 hours ago, Brock said:

Simu Liu is Chinese, not Korean - born in Harbin, China.

Dunno why I thought he was Korean. Does he play Korean in Kim's store? Anyway, without the mustache I saw him photoed with he is much better looking. Maybe it will work.