• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Undervalued ? I think it way overvalued, just my opinion though, I like the cover but the interior artwork leaves a lot to be desired, and prices being what they are at the moment for HG copies I would never buy one. 

What are your thoughts on champions #1 from 1975?

The Don Heck art makes my soul bleed. 

Edited by Jeffro.

6 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Pretty affordable and under appreciated I think.

It does seem to be one of the few bronze Age #1s that has not caught fire yet (especially since it has a bunch of big names in it).

4 hours ago, PeterPark said:
10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Early Don Heck is very sought after, especially when he worked for Comic Media and did some of the most graphic pre-code out there...

Oh yeah, his GA work is fine but by the time it was the 70s and he was drawing for Marvel, it was pretty crappy. 

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:
10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Frank Robbins art in MP#28 has the same effect on me.

And with The Champions, it gets even worse because after the couple of Heck issues, we're treated to Tuska inked by Colletta. :sick: Thank goodness for Byrne at the end of the run.

16 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Pretty affordable and under appreciated I think.

The book will only go up if a show happens. The name has legs, like the Defenders. Doesn't need the original or main crew just the name and a few B characters.

Dug out my last copy of GS Defenders 3 for sale other day. Bet I have sold 20 copies of this book in the last 2 years.
Never had a book that I could sell that easy in any grade.

Looks to be heating up again with some casting rumors. I could never find an above 8.0 copy. I think I sold my
8.0 for $140 last year. I recommend if you can find a high grade copy to buy it if you can get a good price. 

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Dug out my last copy of GS Defenders 3 for sale other day. Bet I have sold 20 copies of this book in the last 2 years.

Looks to be heating up again with some casting rumors. I could never find an above 8.0 copy. I think I sold my
8.0 for $140 last year. I recommend if you can find a high grade copy to buy it if you can get a good price. 

Yep, I bought a few copies myself from you...…..Thanks buddy!

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

What kind of casting rumors? Link?

On 2/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, Pontoon said:

Don Heck gets a bum rap, he was a fine artist. While his '50s era Comic Media and Atlas work may be his most satisfying, I like his pre-hero monster stories, '60s superhero stories and '70s output as well. Here’s a nice page from 1973. In the '70s his art could look pretty bad when matched with the wrong inker or if it was a last minute rush job. The biggest problem with his ‘60s books were the times he was trying too hard to mimic Kirby’s dynamics. He knew how to layout and tell a story visually better than a lot of modern artists.

heck.jpg

Okay, fair point. That actually looks pretty good although I have to wonder if some of that is the inker. 

On 2/16/2020 at 10:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

Thanks for the reminder, I've been sitting on 3 so-so copies including the most recent one which I picked out of a box for $5 at Heroes last year, just never got around to doing anything with any of them. I'll add these to my "scan and list" stack (thumbsu

On 2/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, Pontoon said:

Don Heck gets a bum rap, he was a fine artist. While his '50s era Comic Media and Atlas work may be his most satisfying, I like his pre-hero monster stories, '60s superhero stories and '70s output as well. Here’s a nice page from 1973. In the '70s his art could look pretty bad when matched with the wrong inker or if it was a last minute rush job. The biggest problem with his ‘60s books were the times he was trying too hard to mimic Kirby’s dynamics. He knew how to layout and tell a story visually better than a lot of modern artists.

heck.jpg

I entirely agree, and it’s objective. Heck knew how to narrate, and the characters are always expressive. I tend to like most of the historical artists, for reasons of respect if not for other, so I appreciate Tuska as well, but it largely depends, as you say, on how the pencilers and inkers were matched. Colletta was able to draw very gracious expression, but it was not suitable to ink Kirby – and they commissioned him to ink Kirby too frequently.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, batmiesta said:

That's because there is no sense to it.

And that’s why right now it’s even more important to sensitize people about the quality of the stories, characters development, etc.
In a word, in what makes truly professional the work of a comics writer (even more than that of a comics artist).
This also is even more relevant for the Marvel Age, with its precise poetics and conception.