• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

collectors are still buying all 3 of those keys

But they have certainly cooled off to what they were, I mean X-factor #6 ? There are gazillions of them, I wouldn't thank you for one and I don't get this craze for What if #10, first She Thor, Lady Thor or whatever she's called, some of the prices people are paying for that book just baffles me. O.o

15 hours ago, 1Cool said:

IM 55?  It definitely was a book that became hotter due to movie hype but I'd think X-Factor 6 or TOS 50 were the first few books that became keys simply for movie hype (and have since crashed).  But since neither are Bronze I'll go with your suggestion.

???

First of all, those issues didn't become keys because of movie hype. Secondly, Avengers came out a year before Iron Man 3 and four years before X-Men: Apocalypse. :facepalm:

7 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Before X-Men Apocalypse, X-Factor 6 9.8 was around $85, about $50 more than surrounding X-Factor issues. At the peak of movie hype I think they may have gone as high as $600. Currently around $275. 

The movie really projected the value of X-Factor 6 (and 5 to a lesser extent), but the argument here is that the books were always keys.  Everyone knew they were key books but collectors didn't put a ton of value to them because of their oversupply.  An important comic, nonetheless....

4 hours ago, spreads said:

The movie really projected the value of X-Factor 6 (and 5 to a lesser extent), but the argument here is that the books were always keys.  Everyone knew they were key books but collectors didn't put a ton of value to them because of their oversupply.  An important comic, nonetheless....

dealers see X-Factor 6 as a $30 book at many shows I go to..but it's not bronze age ;)

On 4/27/2020 at 2:17 AM, the blob said:

I have come to the realization I have a whole short box of Master of Kung Fu... and only one #15 in there (uhg). 3 or 4 16s at least. HOW THE F did I amass a whole short box of this title over the last 27 years (I am certain I had none before I got back into comics in 1993). While I liked some of the covers, I have NEVER read a single issue of the title and know almost nothing about it. What is wrong with me? Did I honestly think filler issues of this title would one day be collectible? On the flip side, other than maybe the 15 and 16s, which possibly might have been $2 box buys, I most certainly paid no more than $1 for any of them and many were 25 cent box purchases, but still... Seriously, I understand owning a box (or more) of Marvel Two In Ones, I've always been fond of the Thing and I actually read them at one point, and Silver Surfers, which I never read, but its a cool character, and Defenders, which I may have read 2 or 3 of, but again, a lot of characters I like, and a box of Ghost Riders, which I have also never read, but they have cool covers...

Master of Kung Fu was awesome reading for me.  Can't wait for the movie to come out. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:59 PM, HarrisonJohn said:

Before X-Men Apocalypse, X-Factor 6 9.8 was around $85, about $50 more than surrounding X-Factor issues. At the peak of movie hype I think they may have gone as high as $600. Currently around $275. 

Huh?!? Apocalypse was announced in Dec 2013 right before DOFP came out. The lowest one sold for in 2013 was $123, one hadn't sold for as low as $85 since July of 2012, and they were consistently bringing $250+ by Spring 2013.

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Huh?!? Apocalypse was announced in Dec 2013 right before DOFP came out. The lowest one sold for in 2013 was $123, one hadn't sold for as low as $85 since July of 2012, and they were consistently bringing $250+ by Spring 2013.

I dont know the exact numbers but just about every major or semi major key skyrocketed in 2012 2013. Sure it went up more with movie news. Book prices used to be the same for 5 to 8, 10 years, get a little bump stay same for 5 more years. 2012 13 keys doubled as easily as thanos snapping his fingers. Those were always keys though. Those characters have always been active in comics and in cartoons. That poster looks Mia though so going to see what is actually heating up on bronze age. She hulk still strong, 9.0s over 100 raw. The supply is endless but so is the demand.

14 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

I dont know the exact numbers but just about every major or semi major key skyrocketed in 2012 2013. Sure it went up more with movie news. Book prices used to be the same for 5 to 8, 10 years, get a little bump stay same for 5 more years. 2012 13 keys doubled as easily as thanos snapping his fingers. Those were always keys though. Those characters have always been active in comics and in cartoons. That poster looks Mia though so going to see what is actually heating up on bronze age. She hulk still strong, 9.0s over 100 raw. The supply is endless but so is the demand.

The demand is definitely not endless, it's cyclical.  I've been buying collections actively in my local market (1.5 million) people for over 10 years.  There are substantially more buyers out there now than there were 3 years ago, and definitely 5 years ago.  It doesn't help that every major asset class on the planet is historically overvalued, and there is a growing market of 'investors' choosing these books over tangible assets like real estate and financial instruments. 

Edited by spreads

25 minutes ago, spreads said:

The demand is definitely not endless, it's cyclical.  I've been buying collections actively in my local market (1.5 million) people for over 10 years.  There are substantially more buyers out there now than there were 3 years ago, and definitely 5 years ago.  It doesn't help that every major asset class on the planet is historically overvalued, and there is a growing market of 'investors' choosing these books over tangible assets like real estate and financial instruments. 

guys like to collect things.. that's eternal

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

the original Marvel Star Wars title run is selling out ... including the first Boba Fett !!

Let's try to be a little more specific and provide examples, otherwise you're just blown' in the wind.

7 hours ago, spreads said:

Yeah I used to just have to fight off the advertising and video game guys, now comics. On the comic buying sites I dont know who is buying the books. I think a lot of new wannabe flippers investors keep coming into the market because I keep saying people make the same mistakes. Things come and go. Took almost 20 years for comics and cards to make this lil comeback. I keep thinking it's at its max but the market keeps surprising me. How much more are people willing to pay for hulk 181 af15 etc? Guess we will find out.