• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Lazyboy said:

No. Pin-ups are just images. They are not part of any continuity.

While I agree a pin up isn't continuity, what would your opinion be on a "file" with an image containing "info" on a character, presented in a way that suggests another character (as well as you) is viewing it? 

6 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

While I agree a pin up isn't continuity, what would your opinion be on a "file" with an image containing "info" on a character, presented in a way that suggests another character (as well as you) is viewing it? 

My opinion of bio pages, regardless of how they're presented, is generally very low. That said, they can occasionally contain something interesting, at least in the context of their time of creation/presentation.

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

My opinion of bio pages, regardless of how they're presented, is generally very low. That said, they can occasionally contain something interesting, at least in the context of their time of creation/presentation.

Thanks- I was just curious. Your prior comment made me think of a discussion [here, I think] whether the Deadpool "file" at the end of X-Force #1 should be the 2nd (minor) appearance, but with that said I don't want to steer away from the Bronze any further than I already have.

I'm still alive and well, still alive and well
Every now and then I know it's kinda hard to tell
But I'm still alive and well
(Johnny Winter):

Recent BA sales: :applause:

7 hours ago, Iqc23 said:

Savage Tales 1 is going to be next hot bronze comic to get hot. Classic cover and 1st Man Thing. 

Wishful thinking or do you have some info here? Lol I hope you're right although I'm not sure that I would part with my copy unless the price went absolutely berserk.

No news.  It’s an undervalued marvel book.  It’s just seem like every key marvel book is on the move. So it’s only a matter of time. I only have one copy too that I picked up few years back. 

10 hours ago, Iqc23 said:

Savage Tales 1 is going to be next hot bronze comic to get hot. Classic cover and 1st Man Thing. 

Savage Tales 1 IS a great book even with the meh Man Thing origin story. It's a shame that that is what drives this book's value.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, Iqc23 said:

I'm voting no but just because Man Thing has really no chance of creating a stir in movies or in modern comics (reboot).  I'd say a book like Adventures Into Fear 19 or Vampirella 1 would be a safer bets since Howard the Duck could see a reboot or a show and Vampirella is always in the mix for a tv show or movie.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, 1Cool said:
On 7/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, Iqc23 said:

I'm voting no but just because Man Thing has really no chance of creating a stir in movies or in modern comics (reboot).  I'd say a book like Adventures Into Fear 19 or Vampirella 1 would be a safer bets since Howard the Duck could see a reboot or a show and Vampirella is always in the mix for a tv show or movie.

You know, in an age where marginal characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon and WTF? characters like Squirrel Girl can become hot commodities, anything is possible. To declare otherwise is ignoring what has happened in the recent past. Does that mean that Man Thing will become hot? (a hot Man Thing??? :eek: ) I have no idea but I surely can't rule it out, given the wackiness we've seen. Remember, books like She-hulk 1 and Ms Marvel 1 and Black Panther 1 and Eternals 1 and Nova 1 were considered garbage books for years. Now look where they are. 

Edited by Inappropriate Spock

20 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The 2005 Man-Thing movie was a creative masterpiece akin to David Hasselhoff's 1998 Nick Fury.  :jokealert:

But honestly, I would love to see a Man-Thing movie if they could channel some Gerber/Ploog magic.  

On 7/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, Inappropriate Spock said:

Remember, books like She-hulk 1 and Ms Marvel 1 and Black Panther 1 and Eternals 1 and Nova 1 were considered garbage books for years. Now look where they are. 

Quite a few years back, the contributors to the Overstreet guide commented regularly on how "plentiful" 1970s comics were, AND strongly implied they would never attain any significant value.  People didn't go to the trouble of carefully preserving the books -- after all, the experts more-or-less called them worthless. So copies that have survived in very high grade are finally getting their due.  I always treasured the copies I hand-selected off the newsstand.  My local LCS owner wouldn't even consider buying post-1969 back issue comics from customers as late as 2015 -- a stupid policy.

35 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Quite a few years back, the contributors to the Overstreet guide commented regularly on how "plentiful" 1970s comics were, AND strongly implied they would never attain any significant value.  People didn't go to the trouble of carefully preserving the books -- after all, the experts more-or-less called them worthless. So copies that have survived in very high grade are finally getting their due.  I always treasured the copies I hand-selected off the newsstand.  My local LCS owner wouldn't even consider buying post-1969 back issue comics from customers as late as 2015 -- a stupid policy.

No doubt.  For years most shops/dealers/collectors thought bronze was trash. I clearly remember being laughed at while cleaning out stores of their high grade bronze for pennies.

2 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

No doubt.  For years most shops/dealers/collectors thought bronze was trash. I clearly remember being laughed at while cleaning out stores of their high grade bronze for pennies.

Was there any potential 9.8 Ghost rider# 10's amongst them? If so do you want to sell them for a few extra pennies profit? 🤪