• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, divad said:

Do we know that to be the case? hm

I'm cautiously excited. Netflix seems to excel with period pieces, which this kind of is …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, divad said:

Do we know that to be the case? hm

I do not know that to be the case but I hope it to be the case. I do know from following the owner of the Conan film rights closely, that when Amazon was looking at the property the initial episodes were going to be The Frost Giants Daughter. So Conan #16 might be a sneaky pickup. I have my share fair share of copies.

14 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

I do not know that to be the case but I hope it to be the case. I do know from following the owner of the Conan film rights closely, that when Amazon was looking at the property the initial episodes were going to be The Frost Giants Daughter. So Conan #16 might be a sneaky pickup. I have my share fair share of copies.

Savage Tales 1.

Actually, Belit's 1st appearance is in Giant-Size Conan #1.

It's a single-panel cameo (in a flashback) but she's identified as Belit.

Her first full appearance is in Conan #58.

I wonder which one the speculators/investors will gravitate toward. 

Belit does appear on the cover of Conan #58, which weighs in its favor, I think.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Help me understand why Daredevil #163 is so much more expensive. 

I get Hulk vs Thing or Hulk vs Thor being stand-out battles. But Hulk vs Daredevil?  I don’t get what the drive is for the price. 

It’s a tough book in high grade. The black/dark cover doesn’t help IMO.

17 minutes ago, wormboy said:
1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Help me understand why Daredevil #163 is so much more expensive. 

I get Hulk vs Thing or Hulk vs Thor being stand-out battles. But Hulk vs Daredevil?  I don’t get what the drive is for the price. 

It’s a tough book in high grade. The black/dark cover doesn’t help IMO.

Also FM :shy:

4 hours ago, MisterX said:

Actually, Belit's 1st appearance is in Giant-Size Conan #1.

It's a single-panel cameo (in a flashback) but she's identified as Belit.

Her first full appearance is in Conan #58.

I wonder which one the speculators/investors will gravitate toward. 

Belit does appear on the cover of Conan #58, which weighs in its favor, I think.

There have been a few old threads on this but the only appearance in GS#1 is her name 'Belit' - the woman pictured is blonde.  Frankly, this is perhaps the worst '1st appearances' citations ever but when the book is slabbed, it is tough to see - really not sure why Overstreet et al doesn't fix this one.

I'm a mild victim because I picked a pair of GS #1s up for the 1st App of Belit but then actually looked at it - Conan 58 is the 1st appearance, one day justice will be done!

Edited by mtlevy1

16 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

There have been a few old threads on this but the only appearance in GS#1 is her name 'Belit' - the woman pictured is blonde.  Frankly, this is perhaps the worst '1st appearances' citations ever but when the book is slabbed, it is tough to see - really not sure why Overstreet et al doesn't fix this one.

I'm a mild victim because I picked a pair of GS #1s up for the 1st App of Belit but then actually looked at it - Conan 58 is the 1st appearance, one day justice will be done!

Since it's in flashback with a nod to prior source material, the GS1 treatment comes pretty close to a strictly defined "cameo" as opposed to an actual first appearance, albeit in a strange "back to the future' kind of way. GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

I agree with you, but unfortunately, if someone who wasn't inclined to do their homework googled "Marvel First Appearance Belit" and least four websites come up listing GCC #1, including wiki and marvel fandom.

However, Marvel.com lists Conan #58 as the fist app, so there's still hope!

1 hour ago, divad said:

Also FM :shy:

Yeah, except it it’s FM on the surrounding issues too. And FM did about a dozen Hulk covers so it’s not like it’s the only time he’s ever drawn the Hulk.  And I don’t think FM has ever been considered a “classic” Hulk artist. His Hulk cover issues really don’t command a premium. 

The darker cover vs high-grade would kind of make sense except 164 has a lot of black in the cover which would also make it difficult in high-grade yet it doesn’t see the same price spike as 163. 

I guess I still don’t understand the rationale behind the pricing.  I can’t think of another example of where the appearance of the Hulk boosts the value of the book that much. 

1 hour ago, MisterX said:

I agree with you, but unfortunately, if someone who wasn't inclined to do their homework googled "Marvel First Appearance Belit" and least four websites come up listing GCC #1, including wiki and marvel fandom.

However, Marvel.com lists Conan #58 as the fist app, so there's still hope!

Cool research...yes, we agree - just not sure why the other folks don't modify their records, Conan 58 is much more clear a first appearance than Hulk 181 for example.

51 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Cool research...yes, we agree - just not sure why the other folks don't modify their records, Conan 58 is much more clear a first appearance than Hulk 181 for example.

We really want to get picky, the character actually first showed up in unauthorized Mexican comics... that actually have pretty awesome covers, from what I've seen:

https://www.comics.org/series/61837/covers/

I'll just do things the simple way, and have copies of both the GSC 1 and Conan #58... and I agree, the GSC 1 shouldn't really count.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

We really want to get picky, the character actually first showed up in unauthorized Mexican comics... that actually have pretty awesome covers, from what I've seen:

https://www.comics.org/series/61837/covers/

I'll just do things the simple way, and have copies of both the GSC 1 and Conan #58... and I agree, the GSC 1 shouldn't really count.

Yes... but unless you have that pesky issue of Weird Tales from the 30's, you still won't actually have her first appearance :preach: GOD BLESS....

20 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Yes... but unless you have that pesky issue of Weird Tales from the 30's, you still won't actually have her first appearance :preach: GOD BLESS....

Quite true.  I'll need to content myself with the first appearance of Valeria, then.  Pretty sure her first marvel appearance would be Savage Tales #2, so I'm good both ways:

Weird_Tales_1936_07.jpg