• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Here's the part of the page with the woman in question:

B%C3%AAlit_(Earth-616)_and_the_Black_Cor

And here's the full page:

image.jpeg.4d2e9a174a138fb9e2543c1cfffc8

Gil Kane is so underrated for his work on Conan, the Giant Size & annuals are among some of the best work in the entire series & as good as anything done by Big John imho

Edited by I am not Glenda

12 hours ago, MisterX said:

Wow, looking at it again after all these years, that's the most poorly-constructed part of the page. The caption box is ambiguous, compared to the picture. The woman really could be either Belit or Valeria. The only reason we're supposed to assume it's Belit is because Conan clearly references both the hill-panther and Red Sonja, and being named first in the caption box, we could be led to believe that this woman is Belit. Even though she doesn't look anything like her later appearances. Maybe the dude with the eyepatch reinforces the pirate aspect of her background. I'm disappointed in how lame this is.  

I do have GSC1 and Conan 58, haven't read them in a really long time. I feel like unless Roy Thomas himself clarifies otherwise (and maybe he already has) it will be difficult to persuade people that GSC1 isn't her first appearance.

Agree that it could be either woman but disagree that we would assume it is Belit - only reason to assume that is that it is on the CGC label.  The woman looks like Valeria, why would it be Belit?  Why would we assume that the first name in the caption box refers to the picture when the second name is actually closer to the picture?

In any case, people largely agree that IH 181 is the first app of Wolverine even though IH 180 has a very clear shot large shot of Wolverine with no doubt - how is Conan 58 not the first appearance of Belit if IH 181 is the 1st Wolverine?

7 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Agree that it could be either woman but disagree that we would assume it is Belit - only reason to assume that is that it is on the CGC label.  The woman looks like Valeria, why would it be Belit?  Why would we assume that the first name in the caption box refers to the picture when the second name is actually closer to the picture?

In any case, people largely agree that IH 181 is the first app of Wolverine even though IH 180 has a very clear shot large shot of Wolverine with no doubt - how is Conan 58 not the first appearance of Belit if IH 181 is the 1st Wolverine?

Good points and I don't think that's Belit anyway, I think its the  first mention of Belit. The Pirate patch leans Valeria to me. Valeria was a member of The Red Brotherhood of pirates while Belit was the queen of the black coast, unfortunately displayed as black savages at the time. Her hair color is wrong and so are the Pirates, they are white.

2 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

Good points and I don't think that's Belit anyway, I think its the  first mention of Belit. The Pirate patch leans Valeria to me. Valeria was a member of The Red Brotherhood of pirates while Belit was the queen of the black coast, unfortunately displayed as black savages at the time. Her hair color is wrong and so are the Pirates, they are white.

The hair style and attire is very similar to the Valeria of Red Nails... if I'm not mistaken. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

21 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

Gil Kane is so underrated for his work on Conan, the Giant Size & annuals are among some of the best work in the entire series & as good as anything done by Big John imho

The Tom Sutton inking over Kane’s pencils in the first couple of Giant-Size issues is gritty and looks quite brilliant. 

As does the more familiar Kane / Adams combination elsewhere.

On 10/13/2020 at 12:56 PM, I am not Glenda said:

That may or may not be Belit . . . BUT that's definitely Red Sonja! :bigsmile:

On 10/13/2020 at 12:23 PM, shadroch said:

I would say the writer and artist intended that to be Belit. Just because the colorist screwed up, doesn't change their intent.

It's not Belit . . . It's a memory :baiting:

On 10/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, MisterX said:

Margaret Brundage :luhv:

I read somewhere that H.P. Lovecraft couldn't stand her artwork, and would tear the covers off his copies of WT.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . " lol

On 10/18/2020 at 5:17 AM, NP_Gresham said:

With the recent uptick in Conan interest, still no movement on Chamber of Darkness #4?

Was this story repurposed as ‘Conan’ in a later issue?

I don't think it was ever repurposed as a Conan story; it was reprinted in Conan the Barbarian #16 along with "The Frost Giant's Daughter", though.  So it's been recognized as a prototype for the Marvel version of Conan pretty much since the launch of Conan the Barbarian, even within Marvel.  But it's definitely not actually Conan, and since it's not the cover story I'm not sure it's going to have that much demand in the era of slabbed books.  With all that said, it probably deserves more love than it's currently getting in the market.