• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

You folks must be seeing something I'm not. I see a blonde haired Belit. Valeria wore sleeves. Belit didn't. 

I see Belit. Others see Valeria.  I don't think it's a first anything, no matter who it is.

Just for further reference, here's Conan 58. To me the hair color and style and also facial structure look like the Valeria of the time, in GSC 1, but as you pointed out the garment style is closer to Belit. Might be worthy of a first mention of Belit maybe but not much more than that in my opinion. (disclaimer: I have both Comics mentioned lol)

Conan #58.jpg

Captain Britain 1 came out the week of Oct 13 1976.  I was just snapping some pics for ebay of some UK Spidey comics I'm selling.  I noticed in the 3 weeks leading up to the release of CB1 these UK Spidey comics ran ads for Captain Britain.

Question:  When 1st appearances are in an ad..... is that a thing?  Do you think they're worth holding on to?

Super Spiderman 189 has the image at the top left.  It doesn't even name him yet and just has a silhouette.

Super Spiderman 190 has the image at the bottom left.  It names him and has better art.

Super Spiderman 191 Nice looking full color back cover.

Captain Britain 1 comes out the next week.

Collectable??? Yes or no?

image0 (6).jpeg

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Captain Britain 1 came out the week of Oct 13 1976.  I was just snapping some pics for ebay of some UK Spidey comics I'm selling.  I noticed in the 3 weeks leading up to the release of CB1 these UK Spidey comics ran ads for Captain Britain.

Question:  When 1st appearances are in an ad..... is that a thing?  Do you think they're worth holding on to?

Super Spiderman 189 has the image at the top left.  It doesn't even name him yet and just has a silhouette.

Super Spiderman 190 has the image at the bottom left.  It names him and has better art.

Super Spiderman 191 Nice looking full color back cover.

Captain Britain 1 comes out the next week.

Collectable??? Yes or no?

image0 (6).jpeg

Wolvie’s first ad appearances are worth even less than his second appearance. Then again, so is his first appearance...

5E39FA80-3BD4-4F67-A1E2-A9EFFCD5EF48.gif.00785839fe8ef8e8f53f0135cfe343cb.gif

Edited by Callaway29

On 10/10/2020 at 3:52 PM, MisterX said:

Actually, Belit's 1st appearance is in Giant-Size Conan #1.

It's a single-panel cameo (in a flashback) but she's identified as Belit.

Her first full appearance is in Conan #58.

I wonder which one the speculators/investors will gravitate toward. 

Belit does appear on the cover of Conan #58, which weighs in its favor, I think.

You have answered your question.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, gadzukes said:

Question:  When 1st appearances are in an ad.....

First appearances are not in ads. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't collect ads, if that's their thing. This is a nice find. Considering that the first ad could technically be for any new character that was appearing (even if it's obvious who the ad is for), since there's no name mentioned and the figure is basically a silhouette, that seems to be to be less relevant to me than the other two.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:12 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

People have always abbreviated it that way but technically shouldn't it be WBN as "werewolf" is one word?!?

sometimes something stares us in the face yet we refuse to see

On 10/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Besides the MTU #131, #74 seems to be selling well also (Saturday Night Live cross over).  I don't get it for that one either....

A fun, goofy issue?  With some oddball crossover appeal?  And enough of a rights headache over the story that it hasn't been reprinted in decades, and never in English?

I think the number of people who think it's goofy will keep it from ever being a super-hot book, but for the reasons I listed I think it will always have people grabbing it when they see it.

Reader copy I snagged in a dollar bin a few weeks ago, to add some color to the post:

MTU_074.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

A fun, goofy issue?  With some oddball crossover appeal?  And enough of a rights headache over the story that it hasn't been reprinted in decades, and never in English?

I think the number of people who think it's goofy will keep it from ever being a super-hot book, but for the reasons I listed I think it will always have people grabbing it when they see it.

Reader copy I snagged in a dollar bin a few weeks ago, to add some color to the post:

Actually back in the 80's if I remember correctly this book was popular and worth a little more than the ones around it but so was the Howard the Duck issue so go figure :bigsmile: . Would make a heck of a signature series book for sure. Especially if you managed to get a Belushi Sig on it way back when.