• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, OtherEric said:

It doesn't surprise me that at least some of the SNL people of that era were big Marvel geeks; the comic book parodies from National Lampoon just a few years earlier were spot-on.  And SNL was what a lot of the NatLamp crew did when they left NatLamp.

and much later.....

On 11/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Good find. The symbiote does get drawn with an oily consistency, and the eye slots are perfect.

Perhaps we should get one of the Golden Age experts to take this to its logical conclusion, and find an obscure 30s / 40s reference?

image.png.42564faa2e9d157caf3b6ccde5d68e62.png

On 12/4/2020 at 10:37 PM, Wolverinex said:

Fantasy quarterly 1 9.8 (first elf quest) hit $800 in November... soon will likely reach 4 figures i bet 

I’ve got a couple 9.6s squirreled away since I’ve always thought it was a great series and it’s not an easy book to find.

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I am baffled by the money " collectors" are willing to fork out for this book. 

Yeah I mean it’s just movie hype. It was a $400-$500 book all day in 9.8 pre-movie announcement back in the day. So amazing what a movie can do to create excitement for a book. I actually think it has more legs as well. Could see 9.8’s pushing $2K at some point. That may partially depend though if the movie does well and if we see Eternals in future movies. Or a great trailer.

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:
On 12/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow, looks like Eternals 1 is on the uptick again! And eBay sales have been solidly higher. 

B8653910-F04A-4705-8FCD-7E1E51983F23.jpeg

I am baffled by the money " collectors" are willing to fork out for this book. 

Especially for those of us who can remember when this was a garbage book pulled from dollar bins

4 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Especially for those of us who can remember when this was a garbage book pulled from dollar bins

Yup. Which was pretty much right up to the moment preceding the movie announcement. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Kirby fan and like the book but it was junk to probably 99% of the collecting world.

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Yup. Which was pretty much right up to the moment preceding the movie announcement. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Kirby fan and like the book but it was junk to probably 99% of the collecting world.

It’s crazy to me to think even low or mid grade raw copies were dollar bin books at any point. Such a cool book and with Kirby art can’t take my eyes off of it. I just remember that graded 9.8’s were about $400 or so pre-movie and about doubled overnight post-movie announcement.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Is there something about ASM 187 that I am missing? I know I have, in the past, been able to get a little premium for the non-newsstand versions, but I am seeing folks shelling out $15 (including shipping) or more for ieven the newsie, sometimes a chunk more total: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-187-FN-5-5-1-Book-Electro-Captain-America-Jim-Starlin/193764384875?hash=item2d1d41e06b:g:wTMAAOSwbDtfueGX ...., that is an outlier, but there are still a few in that range. a few months ago I see a bunch more in the $1-$3 range plus shipping. But i am not seeing wacky CGC prices (admittedly, there are few cgc sales). Electro and Starlin art don't seem to be a good reason to shell out $15 for a mid-grade copy. Dum Dum Dugan? Anyway, I see most of those Spidey's not in high grade with nothing special about them as $1-$2 box books I'd hope tp flip for $5, but maybe I need to readjust my reality.