• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

HUH? This is more than slabbed 9.4s sold for around the same day: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Feature-Vol-2-1-Red-Sonja-begins-Frank-Thorne-cover-art-NM-Cond/313244986310?hash=item48eedb2bc6:g:BZsAAOSwOqhfemlK     I know this seller does well, but that doesn't make sense.,

That happens every now and then 

OK, I am more than happy if Phantom Stranger 14 heats up as I have a few copies and no copies of HOS 92 anymore, but what is all this "prototype" stuff? Isn't is a month after HOS 92 in 1971?? When a character is already introduced, can we still be talking about later prototypes?>?>

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=phantom+stranger+14+swamp&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=phantom+stranger+14&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

Of course, the Phantom stranger monster looks more like Man Thing... which came out before HOS 92 and PS 14! (Which, of course, was a rip off of The Heap from 20 years earlier, which had just started appearing again (with a different story, etc.) in Skywald horror mags earlier in 1971...)

So, it is kind of refreshing to see DC doing the ripping off for a change and getting the better character out of it.

Edited by the blob

16 minutes ago, the blob said:

OK, I am more than happy if Phantom Stranger 14 heats up as I have a few copies and no copies of HOS 92 anymore, but what is all this "prototype" stuff? Isn't is a month after HOS 92 in 1971?? When a character is already introduced, can we still be talking about later prototypes?>?>

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=phantom+stranger+14+swamp&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=phantom+stranger+14&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

Of course, the Phantom stranger monster looks more like Man Thing... which came out before HOS 92 and PS 14! (Which, of course, was a rip off of The Heap from 20 years earlier, which had just started appearing again (with a different story, etc.) in Skywald horror mags earlier in 1971...)

So, it is kind of refreshing to see DC doing the ripping off for a change and getting the better character out of it.

House of Mystery 195 is another Swamp Thing prototype issue. Sells for good money 

30 minutes ago, littledoom said:

House of Mystery 195 is another Swamp Thing prototype issue. Sells for good money 

Again, months after HOS 92! I understand, HOS 92's "Swamp Thing" winds up having a different back story than Swamp Thing 1s Alec Holland, and then Moore brings him back a generation later.... HOM 195 has a killer Wrightson cover though, so that is a chunk of the $

42 minutes ago, the blob said:

Again, months after HOS 92! I understand, HOS 92's "Swamp Thing" winds up having a different back story than Swamp Thing 1s Alec Holland, and then Moore brings him back a generation later.... HOM 195 has a killer Wrightson cover though, so that is a chunk of the $

If I remember correctly, the panel art for HOM 195 carries a Wrightson signature and a date of 1970 or 1969, indicating it was an inventory story produced much earlier than publication.  I think that is the rationale (weak though it may be) for HOM 195 being considered a Swamp Thing prototype.   As far as Phantom Stranger #14, I got nothing.  :(

10 hours ago, the blob said:

WAIT, WAIT! Wasn't that the original BLOB??? :roflmao:

On 12/30/2020 at 12:14 AM, divad said:
On 12/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, John R said:
On 12/28/2020 at 6:20 PM, divad said:

because she loves you . . .:roflmao:

And you know that can't be bad

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . yeah! 

and you know you should be glad! :) 

Hmmm. seems like a prototype for Parliament of Trees ... But seriously, DC had stockpiles of Wrightson drawn stories to the extent they could be doling something out in late 1971 he did in 1968??? That is so much better than so much of the krap being done in 1968 by comic artists (and 1971, but it was really different for 1968)

I have forgotten my heritage PW, I wonder what this went for: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/bernie-wrightson-original-art-for-house-of-secrets-92-complete-8-page-story-swamp-thing-dc-1977-a-dark-and-profound/a/804-7451.s   (and why does it say 1977? did they re-do the art for some reprint or is that a typo?)

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have forgotten my heritage PW, I wonder what this went for: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/bernie-wrightson-original-art-for-house-of-secrets-92-complete-8-page-story-swamp-thing-dc-1977-a-dark-and-profound/a/804-7451.s   (and why does it say 1977? did they re-do the art for some reprint or is that a typo?)

$31k. A pittance in the rearview.